Ponder's goal: 75 percent completion on 1st & 2nd down

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Ponder's goal: 75 percent completion on 1st & 2nd down

Post by dkoby »

Juice wrote:17/21 - 80.95% vs. Jaguars

Doesn't mean much when you suck on 3rd down
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

dkoby wrote:
Doesn't hurt either. It's only one game so we'll see.
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

dkoby wrote: Doesn't mean much when you suck on 3rd down
Sure it does. Our one scoring drive we didn't have a single third down!!! :rofl:

But yeah, he was pretty bad on third down, especially early on. Looked completely lost. Had a couple nice throws to Rudolph though. If only he could be more consistent.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

dkoby wrote:
Exactly, or when Your defense fails 90% of the time on 3rd down
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

losperros wrote:The 75 percent completion percentage on first and second downs is a cool notion and I hope the Vikings achieve that. BUT - and this is a biggie for me - I don't want them to achieve that with a conservative dink and dunk passing style. What can I say? Please no play-not-to-lose WCO hybrid this year.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm still rehabbing from the Childress era, but look what Favre throwing downfield did for Coach Clueless and the team. Well, anyway until Father Time and pass rushes slapped Favre down the next year.
Not with what the Vikings currently have as far as wide receiver personnel, anyway. That system works great, but you need guys who can catch most of the passes that come to them, either by jumping, getting open short, or just being tall. With what the Vikings have, they really have a group more suited to downfield passing (as they also had during Childress's era...been awhile since they had anyone approaching Cris Carter when it comes to hands).

I guess I just hope they stick with a system that plays to their player's strengths (as Musgrave has stated so far).
-Rus