View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Vikings @ 49ers Preseason Game Thread 
Hall of Famer

Post Re: Vikings @ 49ers Preseason Game Thread
preseason doesnt mean anything but vikings looked bad.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:54 pm
Hall of Famer

Man that was one hard game to watch, even for pre season. Fraizer hasnt fixed the secondary, despite being a DB on a SB team. Wish he had left but too late now. Cook looks slower then an CB i ve ever seen. Ponder is Ponder. I dont expect crap from him, and im never disapointed. Oh and without PH our WRs look worse then last year. Im betting we are top 5 on worst QBs on a roster in the entire NFL. Again, I will be surprised if we win more then 3 games, like last year, despite having it so easy the first half of season.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:59 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Eli wrote:
VikingPaul73 wrote:
Just saw the highlights.
Was that Chris Cook that couldn't catch the qb cabernacle???
That's a little disturbing.

Just watched it again. Yeah, Cook didn't look too quick.

Not being able to catch Kaepernick isn't the worst thing in the world. Keeping up with him and almost catching him is actually pretty impressive. Kaep runs a 4.5 40, Cook a 4.45, pretty comparable in speed

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:07 am
Hall of Famer

Ponder looked fine, IMO... Except for Percy, our receivers are a serious weakness, though.

Burton showed a little something, but the other guys looked like practice squad players. Dropped passes, lazy route running... not good.

Are we seriously going to battle in the NFL with Jenkins, Simpson, and Burton??? :roll: None of these guys strikes me as an NFL-caliber #1 guy... and I have my doubts whether any of them are #2 caliber.

Maybe we should talk to Plaxico.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:01 am
Hall of Famer

Welcome to the first preseason game of rebuilding, rather than "re-loading".

Some painful things happened. I have some questions about the defense, for sure. While they were playing without three key starters, I saw some real problems with guys being out of position to make plays, and have some questions about playcalling schemes. But, then again, both teams were showing pretty vanilla stuff, so maybe these questions will have good answers. The LBs did not look good, the safeties were predictably not good from what I saw, although the CBs were not as bad as I expected. And I actually think Chris Carr looked ok, aside from the TD, where he simply got beat. Seems like a sure tackler.

Offensively, the OL was improved, but the depth is disconcerting to put it kindly. Ponder is progressing, but was hoping for more confidence. Of course, with a young line, things (bad and good) will happen. LOVE the TEs. That will be a major key to any success this season, and I like the rapport Ponder seems to have already with Rudolph. WRs were... a bit off. Lots of dropped balls, but that will hopefully improve with reps. Toby looked good. RB looks like the Vikes' deepest position.

Overall, I would say they are where I expected them to be, although I am disappointed by the WR play. I really thought oe of those guys would rise to the top early, and I just don't see it. Joe Webb... athletic, but questionable as a QB. Really, I just don't see the upside unless they have some interesting plans for him. He may be a great athlete, but I have doubts about him as an NFL football player, and I know that is not a popular position to take. IF they can find ways to help him contribute consistently, I will happily change my tune.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:00 pm
Hall of Famer

BGM wrote:
Joe Webb... athletic, but questionable as a QB. Really, I just don't see the upside unless they have some interesting plans for him. He may be a great athlete, but I have doubts about him as an NFL football player, and I know that is not a popular position to take.

No, I think it's become pretty apparent at this point. The idea that Joe Webb is going to have any sort of impact in the NFL is wishful thinking. The Vikings are going to have to address the QB position after this season. Webb isn't a viable backup and Rosenfels will be a 35 year old stop-gap that you hope to never actually see on the field. And then there will be the question of whether Ponder is actually the QB of the future, which may be answered once everyone has seen him play a full season.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:25 pm
Hall of Famer

BGM wrote:
Joe Webb... athletic, but questionable as a QB. Really, I just don't see the upside unless they have some interesting plans for him. He may be a great athlete, but I have doubts about him as an NFL football player, and I know that is not a popular position to take.

But BGM, he has big hands, just like Favre...

The more I watch the way the defense played, the more appalled I am. This team certainly has it's offensive questions. I thought Ponder looked shaky and the receivers were god-awful, but as you pointed out, the TE's, offensive line, and RB's didn't look that bad and Ponder was facing one of the NFL's better defenses from last year on the road, so I'll give the offense a pass.

But the defense... I haven't seen a defensive performance that weak in a long time. The Vikings were just physically manhandled up front, and the secondary players took angles that made me question whether they have ever played at the pro level. I mean, taking a bad angle on Brandon Jacobs? Really??? I didn't know that was even possible, but "Miss-It-All" Raymond managed to do it. It was amazing to watch.

I think Harbaugh should complain to the league and make sure he gets preseason opponents who actually field NFL-caliber players. What the Vikings put out there were Division II college players for the most part. Downright awful and Frazier should be crapping his pants right now and/or get his golden boys who sat out suited up for the next contest so they might not embarrass themselves again.

Last edited by VikingLord on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:32 pm
Hall of Famer

I thought the defensive line played fine. They were missing two starters, Letroy Guion went out early with a knee injury, and Brian Robison has never been known to be a stout run defender.

But the starting linebackers and secondary ... wow. Harrison Smith needs to begin working with the first team NOW, not later. Every starting position behind the defensive line should be completely up for grabs. I couldn't imagine the defense playing any worse with Audie Cole, Marvin Mitchell, Reggie Jones and Bobby Felder starting.

Last edited by Eli on Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:06 pm
Hall of Famer

VikingLord wrote:
BGM wrote:

But BGM, he has big hands, just like Favre...

The more I watch the way the defense played, the more appalled I am. This team certainly has it's offensive questions. I thought Ponder looked shaky and the receivers were god-awful, but as you pointed out, the TE's, offensive line, and RB's didn't look that bad and Ponder was facing one of the NFL's better defenses from last year on the road, so I'll give the offense a pass.

But the defense... I haven't seen a defensive performance that weak in a long time. The Vikings were just physically manhandled up front, and the secondary players took angles that made me question whether they have ever played at the pro level. I mean, taking a bad angle on Brandon Jacobsen? Really??? I didn't know that was even possible, but "Miss-It-All" Raymond managed to do it. It was amazing to watch.

I think Harbaugh should complain to the league and make sure he gets preseason opponents who actually field NFL-caliber players. What the Vikings put out there were Division II college players for the most part. Downright awful and Frazier should be crapping his pants right now and/or get his golden boys who sat out suited up for the next contest so they might not embarrass themselves again.

I agree for the most part. I thought Ponder was fine. He was a little late on a couple of throws and was a little behind the receiver on 1 or 2 others, but basically had two scoring drives (our only points). I might be inclined to pick at him more, but after watching the defense (or lack thereof) there are bigger fish to fry. Our first string offense looks to be fine (inasmuch as anyone can offer an accurate assessment after olnly two series), but with the 1st string defense looking the way it did, the offense will need to be better than "fine" if the Vikes want to win some games this year.

It's way too early to proclaim the "sky is falling" but I'm keeping my eye on it, nonetheless....

Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:11 pm
Defensive Tackle

Just Me wrote:
I agree for the most part. I thought Ponder was fine. He was a little late on a couple of throws and was a little behind the receiver on 1 or 2 others, but basically had two scoring drives (our only points).

I thought he looked very good. His throws weren't perfect but he looked calm and confident and he was playing smart, moving the team. I'd like to see fewer drops by receivers and the offense needs to do a better job of finishing drives withTDs but two possessions and two scores is good work.

The first string defense looked awful but that's not the first string defense we'll see on the field next month when the games count so hopefully, they won't be nearly as bad as they looked against SF.

The team clearly lacks depth but that's typical of a team in the relatively early stages of a rebuilding process.

Bring on the Bills!

Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:38 pm
Commissioner

Mothman wrote:
Just Me wrote:
I agree for the most part. I thought Ponder was fine. He was a little late on a couple of throws and was a little behind the receiver on 1 or 2 others, but basically had two scoring drives (our only points).

I thought he looked very good. His throws weren't perfect but he looked calm and confident and he was playing smart, moving the team. I'd like to see fewer drops by receivers and the offense needs to do a better job of finishing drives with TDs but two possessions and two scores is good work.

I agree with both of you that Ponder looked fine. Quite honestly, I don't care about perfect throws. If the ball hits the receiver in his hands, then it should be caught.

OTOH, now that's something that does concern me because the receivers were dropping passes. I was surprised at Michael Jenkins, who I thought looked awkward on the field. Maybe the timing just isn't there yet, I don't know because it's just the first preseason game.

I'll be glad when the first 3 games are over during regular season. This team is going to need both Harvin and Simpson playing, plus TE Rudolph, if they want to advance the ball through the air. And yes, I think both Harvin and Simpson are going to be playmakers for this team.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:03 pm
Hall of Famer

when AP comes back it should be alot more interesting. :wake

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:19 pm
Defensive Tackle

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:
Just watched the game. God was it painful.

I didn't see really any positives other than maybe Audie Cole. The 1st team offense looked ok I guess too.

They had a 52 yard completion on their first drive. That must qualify as a positive.

The Vikes rookie kicker hit two field goals. There's another.

You just have to look for them! :)

Frankly, unless the Vikes blow a team out, I find most preseason games painful. I watch them because I'm a football junkie and because they offer a first glimpse at the team after a long offseason. However, they couldn't be more meaningless and they're a lousy indicator of how teams and players will actually perform when it counts.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:11 pm
Hall of Famer

The Walsh kid definitely has a leg... his kickoffs were things of beauty after watching Shortwell struggle to get it to the 5 yd line all these years. :rock:

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:38 pm
Commissioner

Rave Reviews for Kalil

Quote:
Rave reviews

Top draft pick Matt Kalil held up well enough on Friday that Frazier raised his name unprompted when asked about the play of the offensive line.

"I liked some things that Matt did," Frazier said. "He's played with a lot of confidence. They have some guys who can come off the edge."

The 49ers played without All-Pro defensive tackle Justin Smith and lost another key starter, outside linebacker Aldon Smith, to a hip injury shortly after he provided Kalil's one obvious rookie moment.

That came on third-and-7, with Smith beating Kalil around the edge to pressure Christian Ponder into a throwaway that forced the Vikings to settle for the first of their two field goals in the starters' two series.

Ponder, who completed 4 of 9 passes for 80 yards, called the protection "outstanding" and pointed out he had enough time to get to his third read on a 52-yard completion to Stephen Burton. He wasn't sacked in 11 designed passing plays.

"I think that's a big statement for Matt Kalil to come in in his first game as a rookie and starting against a great defense," Ponder said. "They all did extremely well, but yeah, it's exciting to see Matt coming in and do well."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Note ... ings081112

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:05 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

GBFavreFan wrote:
Eli wrote:
BGM wrote:

No, I think it's become pretty apparent at this point. The idea that Joe Webb is going to have any sort of impact in the NFL is wishful thinking. The Vikings are going to have to address the QB position after this season. Webb isn't a viable backup and Rosenfels will be a 35 year old stop-gap that you hope to never actually see on the field. And then there will be the question of whether Ponder is actually the QB of the future, which may be answered once everyone has seen him play a full season.

I'm afraid you're right about Webb. The one opportunity he had the past year or two is probably gone. I don't see a NFL team giving him a shot and he simply hasn't improved enough as a Viking. That's too bad. If its a mental thing he'll probably light up the UFL or CFL where the pressure will be off. But you do bring up a valid point about backing up Ponder, Sage is too old and Webb isn't backup material. From my POV Ponder started out well last season and just lost it by the end. Be it lack of focus, being overwhelmed, I don't know, but the Ponder that started the first few games was better than December Ponder. he's starting out solidly, but to me the question is if he can maintain that or if he's going to drop off at mid-season. If he drops again, than I think the Vikings should look elsewhere or find a new way to motivate him.

Does the fact that he got injured (hip pointer) playing with one the worst pass protecting lines in the NFL, losing AD, having crappy wide receivers have any bearing on his decline in your opinion? It certainly does in mine. He was running for his life on most passing plays and most any other QB would have been sacked many more times. His great scrambling ability not only saved the team from even more sacks but more often than not he ran for good yardage and several first downs. I also do not see motivation as an issue. He seems fired up, ready to play and lead this team.

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:25 am
Defensive Tackle

GBFavreFan wrote:
I know its easy to blow off the preseason, but at least in recent years I think it has been an indicator for how the regular season goes. In 2009, we didn't show much with Favre, but we looked solid, and then blew up into that amazing season. Then the 2010 preseason we showed some definite issues with rhythm and what not, and generally didn't look too good, and that carried right into the regular season. And last year, things didn't look that great with McNabb and rookie Ponder and we went 3-13.

I defnitely depends on the team, but at least for the Vikings I think recent preseasons have definitely given a sign of things to come. And so far Ponder looks like Good-Ponder, but the receivers seemed off. The o-line didn't look that hot, and when the 2nd team came out looked like the worst of the Vikings last year. I would think the receivers could get more in gear, but if Ponder and his receivers continue to play like this in August I don't think they'll magically click starting in September. If I have any real concerns its with the o-line, but perhaps they can get in gear at some point this season, but so far not so good.

And what the F are Mystral Raymond and Jamarca Sanford doing out there as STARTERS????!!! Are they really trying to re-create the "magic" of the 2011 secondary? I don't care if he's still learning, get Harrison the F out there with the first team defense!

We're one game into the preseason so there's plenty of time to adjust the depth chart. I'm sure they'll get Smith into the starting lineup before the regular season. He may be there already since, if I remember correctly, the Vikings were planning to reassess their depth chart on Saturday.

As for the preseason... it's not completely meaningless but it's close to it. Preseason games can reveal basic information about the quality of a team's depth chart but as a reliable indicator of regular season performance, they're pretty useless. The 1985 Bears are one of the best examples: they were 1-3 in the preseason and went on to dominate the regular season and the playoffs.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:01 am
Commissioner

Eli wrote:

I absolutely agree on all points, particularly the one about Joe Webb. I like Webb's athleticism but where the heck does the guy fit in? It's not as a backup QB. It never was.

Anyway, yes, the Vikings have to rethink the QB position after the season. Hopefully, Ponder proves he's the guy and can be the starter. But even then, the Vikings will still need better QB depth behind him.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:31 pm
Commissioner

Quote:
I like Webb's athleticism but where the heck does the guy fit in? It's not as a backup QB. It never was.

He should have been getting snaps at receiver the day he was drafted. Probably even too late for that now.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:02 pm
Fenrir

I just hope Sage isn't a lock on this team just because he fills the "Vet" role. I don't know how great of a mentor he would be anyway, but that's basically the only reason he would make the team. I'd rather that spot go to McLeod Bethel-Thompson, who while admittedly is a long shot, at least has the potential to have an NFL career. Sage is done.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:19 pm
Defensive Tackle

losperros wrote:
I absolutely agree on all points, particularly the one about Joe Webb. I like Webb's athleticism but where the heck does the guy fit in? It's not as a backup QB. It never was.

He's the kind of backup QB that can come in and create chaos for a game or two, making plays with his athleticism and perhaps helping the team earn a few wins but he's not the kind of backup you want if the starter has to miss a significant amount of playing time.

Webb might be a great athlete without a NFL position. :(

Quote:
Anyway, yes, the Vikings have to rethink the QB position after the season. Hopefully, Ponder proves he's the guy and can be the starter. But even then, the Vikings will still need better QB depth behind him.

Like the rest of the team, it's a position that's going to be in transition for a few years.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:29 pm
Hall of Famer

I still think the biggest mistake the Vikings have made in a few years, is not going after a good WR, so Ponder at least has a chance to show hes a good QB. jenkins and Simpson are #3 Wr's. In fact all of our Wr's are #3s (cept our slot guy, PH). We are going young and drafting anyways, save the money in other spots and give ponder someone to throw to, that can catch, run routes, go up for it. That would also keep every D we play from putting 8+ in the box. I dont think Ponder's is a good QB, but man, hes got the worst WR 's in the NFL, maybe college. I know that wont solve the fact our DBs and LBs blow, but at least it would be a start.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:41 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
I still think the biggest mistake the Vikings have made in a few years, is not going after a good WR, so Ponder at least has a chance to show hes a good QB. jenkns and Simpson are #3 Wr's. In fact all of our Wr's are #3s (cept our slot guy, PH). We are going young and drafting anyways, save the money in other spots and give ponder someone to throw to, that can catch, run routes, go up for it. That would also keep every D we play from putting 8+ in the box. I dont think Ponder's is a good QB, but man, hes got the worst WR 's in the NFL, maybe college. I know that wont solve the fact our DBs and LBs blow, but at least it would be a start.

Harvin is a #1 slot (maybe the best in the league) Simpson is a definite 1-2 talent. Jenkins a three bordeline two. They then spent some picks on Childs and Wright, both highly touted. What free agent wide receivers were available????
I suppose that you would have rather drafted Blackmon than Kalil.
Just out of curiosity are there any players on the Vikes that you like? If so who are they?

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:59 pm
Hall of Famer

Purple bruise wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
I still think the biggest mistake the Vikings have made in a few years, is not going after a good WR, so Ponder at least has a chance to show hes a good QB. jenkns and Simpson are #3 Wr's. In fact all of our Wr's are #3s (cept our slot guy, PH). We are going young and drafting anyways, save the money in other spots and give ponder someone to throw to, that can catch, run routes, go up for it. That would also keep every D we play from putting 8+ in the box. I dont think Ponder's is a good QB, but man, hes got the worst WR 's in the NFL, maybe college. I know that wont solve the fact our DBs and LBs blow, but at least it would be a start.

Harvin is a #1 slot (maybe the best in the league) Simpson is a definite 1-2 talent. Jenkins a three bordeline two. They then spent some picks on Childs and Wright, both highly touted. What free agent wide receivers were available????
Just out of curiosity are there any players on the Vikes that you like? If so who are they?

I like all the players. I even like the coaches, doesnt mean I think they are good.

Simpson is a number 2-3 WR at best. Did you watch the game? Yeah preseason and all, he doesnt look good. Plus I was hoping for a flip or 2. The gamble on Childs didnt work. We have 1 WR and hopefully one good TE that can catch, if he can ever get open or get some plays called for him. If you think Jenkins is ANYTHING close to a #2, you and I are miles apart on what real talent is. If we start with Jenkins on one side, Simpson on the other, with our usual Mustgrave TE sets, AD will be lucky to get 50 yards a game, and Ponder will be lucky to survive.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:05 pm
Defensive Tackle

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Simpson is a number 2-3 WR at best. Did you watch the game? Yeah preseason and all, he doesnt look good. Plus I was hoping for a flip or 2. The gamble on Childs didnt work. We have 1 WR and hopefully one good TE that can catch, if he can ever get open or get some plays called for him. If you think Jenkins is ANYTHING close to a #2, you and I are miles apart on what real talent is. If we start with Jenkins on one side, Simpson on the other, with our usual Mustgrave TE sets, AD will be lucky to get 50 yards a game, and Ponder will be lucky to survive.

We may see that set at times but unless Harvin is in the backfield, that will mean he's off the field and he's likely to be around for at least 60% of the snaps, probably more. A WR corps of Harvin, Simpson and Jenkins (or Aromashodu or perhaps Burton) isn't great on paper but it should still offer playmaking ability defenses will have to respect. If the pass protection holds up, the difference this year could be the TEs. Rudolph and Carlson should represent a greater threat to defenses than the combo of Shiancoe and Sauce did. Hopefully, it will play out that way.

The Vikes still need to upgrade their receiving corps next offseason but we all understood that they had too many needs to address everything this year. Heck, that will probably even be true next year! They have a lot of work left to do.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:31 pm
All Pro Elite Player

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Purple bruise wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:

I like all the players. I even like the coaches, doesnt mean I think they are good.

what exactly are you basing Simpson not looking good on? The one pass he had thrown his way? A little hasty, don't you think? I'm not suggesting he's a #1 WR, but he definitely has the raw talent to be one, and I think he's a legitimate #2 WR, he proved that last year. I think you are highly overrating the impact our WRs will have on Peterson as well, Simpson is better than Aroma, Jenkins and Berrian, and Peterson ran just fine last year with them starting at WR, as did Gerhart. I'd also say we have at least 2 good TEs (assuming one can stay healthy) maybe 3 (Rudolph, Carlson and Rhett), and one potentially great TE in Ruldolph

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:56 pm
Commissioner

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Simpson is a number 2-3 WR at best. Did you watch the game? Yeah preseason and all, he doesnt look good.

I watched the game. I've seen Simpson play a couple regular season games, too. To be honest, I don't give a rat's #### about one drop on one freakin' pass in one preseason game. Simpson is talented. He just needs to be focused. Really focused. We'll see if that happens. If it does, I think Harvin, Simpson, Rudolph, and whoever else steps up (and hopefully someone does) will be better than what the Vikings fielded last year.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:01 pm
Commissioner

Demi wrote:
He should have been getting snaps at receiver the day he was drafted. Probably even too late for that now.

It probably is. Actually, given Webb's size and speed, it's a pity that he couldn't have been developed as a receiver. The Vikings still need a big guy among their WRs.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:07 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

With Webbs speed and size could he be used at safety? I think it was last year when he threw the pick and it looked like a easy score he ran the guy down and made a great tackle. Could we have him on the wrong side of the ball like Allen was.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:41 pm
Hall of Famer

Knoxx wrote:
With Webbs speed and size could he be used at safety? I think it was last year when he threw the pick and it looked like a easy score he ran the guy down and made a great tackle. Could we have him on the wrong side of the ball like Allen was.

I don't think it is as easy as "He can tackle well, so he'd be a good safety." There is so much more to the game it would be a hard transition. Receiver, OTOH, he has played before, so it's not that big of a transition. The only time I remember the Vikes doing an "opposite" side of the team switch was when Tate was switched from receiver to CB. He did "OK" but certainly not as good as a developed corner. (The sad thing is, not including Winfield and Cook, I think Tate was a better CB than any of our current crop...

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next