View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Vikings @ 49ers Preseason Game Thread 
Defensive Tackle

Post Re: Vikings @ 49ers Preseason Game Thread
Maybe we just need to accept that Webb's a talented, athletic backup QB. He doesn't seem to have a natural position beyond that. Yes, I know he played a little WR in college and he was projected to play that position in the NFL but he was also viewed by scouts as a raw WR prospect with questionable hands (in other words, a project). The Vikes did spend some time working with him as a WR but if I remember correctly, Vikes beat reporters said he didn't show much aptitude for the position in practice.

His greatest talent seems to be open field running on broken plays. What do you do with that? Make him a returner? Use him as a screen receiver (tricky without telegraphing it)? I don't know. I think they have him in the right place. Now he needs to improve his skills as a QB.

Jim

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:02 am
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:
Maybe we just need to accept that Webb's a talented, athletic backup QB.

Athletic, yes. Talented? Not so much.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:34 am
Defensive Tackle

Eli wrote:
Mothman wrote:

I guess it depends on how you want to define talent. Webb strikes me as a very talented player, with a great throwing arm and a natural aptitude for improvisation, open field running and avoiding tacklers. What he doesn't seem to be is a very skilled player, at least not by NFL QB standards.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:47 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Webb has tremendous athletic talent, but Moth has it nailed, he hasn't shown the skill deverlopment to be a full time starter at any position.

IMO the QB is going to have an impact on AP, not the WR. Not sure how the guy catching the ball is going to impact 8 man fronts more than the guy throwing it/ calling the audible/ making the read, but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I think folks are way overblowing the WR situation. This isn't to say the situation is ideal, it isn't, but I fail to see how our current situation is any different than before the Childs injury in terms of the 2012 season. WR typically take 2-3 years to develop, a season like 1998 Moss is the exception, not the norm. So IMO, our siutation is currently on the same trajectory for this season as it always has been. The only thing the Childs injury has taken away was potential in 2013 or more likely 2014. Folks seem to have forgotten we also drafted Jarius Wright. So we still have a prospect in development.

Also, the Patriots make a thier offense run on 2 TE and a slot guy. Yes, they have Tom Brady, but that is really the point, our passing attack is all on the shoulders of Ponder. Whether we have Megatron or Jenkins, what really matters is if Ponder can make the throws.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:15 am
Defensive Tackle

mansquatch wrote:
Webb has tremendous athletic talent, but Moth has it nailed, he hasn't shown the skill deverlopment to be a full time starter at any position.

IMO the QB is going to have an impact on AP, not the WR. Not sure how the guy catching the ball is going to impact 8 man fronts more than the guy throwing it/ calling the audible/ making the read, but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I think folks are way overblowing the WR situation. This isn't to say the situation is ideal, it isn't, but I fail to see how our current situation is any different than before the Childs injury in terms of the 2012 season. WR typically take 2-3 years to develop, a season like 1998 Moss is the exception, not the norm. So IMO, our siutation is currently on the same trajectory for this season as it always has been. The only thing the Childs injury has taken away was potential in 2013 or more likely 2014. Folks seem to have forgotten we also drafted Jarius Wright. So we still have a prospect in development.

Also, the Patriots make a thier offense run on 2 TE and a slot guy. Yes, they have Tom Brady, but that is really the point, our passing attack is all on the shoulders of Ponder. Whether we have Megatron or Jenkins, what really matters is if Ponder can make the throws.

... and if the revamped OL can give him the time to make them.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:04 pm
Career Elite Player

Hey guys - there's always Chad Johnson at WR :)

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:04 pm
Commissioner

Quote:

Talented fine, but he lacks the talents needed to succeed at that position. Hopefully they find a better option to give those snaps to, sooner rather than later.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:16 pm
Transition Player

Mothman wrote:
Eli wrote:
Mothman wrote:

I guess it depends on how you want to define talent. Webb strikes me as a very talented player, with a great throwing arm and a natural aptitude for improvisation, open field running and avoiding tacklers. What he doesn't seem to be is a very skilled player, at least not by NFL QB standards.

I can't remember, has he ever returned punts/kicks? It maybe a waste of a WR spot but could he be a return guy?

Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:37 pm
Commissioner

Mothman wrote:

I'll go along with your definition of Webb's talent. However, I think you've just defined Webb as still playing UAB college ball but in the pro league. That's the problem.

I guess that's where the *skilled* part is lacking.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:42 pm
Defensive Tackle

losperros wrote:
Mothman wrote:

I'll go along with your definition of Webb's talent. However, I think you've just defined Webb as still playing UAB college ball but in the pro league. That's the problem.

I guess that's where the *skilled* part is lacking.

Exactly.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:19 am
Hall of Famer

I actually read something about Jarius Wright having played a significant number of snaps against the 49ers. Could have fooled me. What did he do? Did he have a single reception, carry, return or tackle?

This guy has been invisible so far.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:32 pm
Site Admin

Eli wrote:
I actually read something about Jarius Wright having played a significant number of snaps against the 49ers. Could have fooled me. What did he do? Did he have a single reception, carry, return or tackle?

And as we all know, if a guy isn't so amazing that people are gushing about him in the first preseason game, he'll probably be a loser.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:05 am
Starting Wide Receiver

Cliff wrote:
Eli wrote:

And as we all know, if a guy isn't so amazing that people are gushing about him in the first preseason game, he'll probably be a loser.

Right.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:34 am
Profile YIM WWW
Commissioner

Eli wrote:

IIRC, Wright had a few passes tossed his way but I don't recall any completions.

I actually liked this kid in college. Wright was an explosive playmaker. So I would like to see him more involved in the preseason games just to see if he can translate his skills to the pro league. I mean, it's not like the Vikings don't need receivers.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:29 am
Strong Safety

My thoughts after first preseason

Kalil is a going to be an all pro left tackle for us soon and the OL is much better.

Toby Gerhart is decent but not AD at all.. but he did a great job pass blocking on a few plays

Rudolf did great for us

Ponder is better than I thought

Jasper Brinkley looked lost out there as did Mistral Raymond

I would like to see more more of the Wide Out Taylor kid in the next few games.

Joe Webb has not progressed at all and should moved to Saftey or wide out or cut

Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5