**Official '12 Vikings Training Camp Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: **Official '12 Vikings Training Camp Thread

Post by dead_poet »

Asked who has emerged as a leader in this camp, Leslie Frazier volunteers John Sullivan. I've heard the same. Coming into his own as a pro.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Frazier says the no contact rule on Adrian Peterson could be lifted as soon as next week. #Vikings
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Visited briefly w Matt Kalil after practice. He said that since April he's been impressed by how on task this Vikings team has stayed.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Thanks for all of your updates. They are very insightful.
:thumbsup:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:
The Vikings rarely tackle ballcarries to the ground. They do, however, have limited number of short-yardage and goal-line plays in which running backs are "live" and are tackled to the ground. Peterson won't participate in any of those at camp. Frazier said the next time Peterson is "live" will come in a game, whether it's preseason or the regular season.
Just to give that tweet a little context. I'm assuming this will still be in place.
"Oh, I'm going to lower my shoulders," Peterson said. "Those other guys are probably going to get tired of touching off and get tired of me putting my shoulders into them. So, they'll probably start firing back, and that's pretty much what I want them to do."
I just had to add this, must suck for the defense with how hard AD hits and just having to take it. Hope they don't "fire back" too much.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Looking forward to seeing him in action.

CB Robinson To Get Extended Look On Friday
Josh Robinson looked good playing at the University of Central Florida, where he was a two-time All Conference USA first teamer with 10 INTs and 36 passes broken up in three seasons. Robinson looked good at the 2012 Scouting Combine, where he was the fastest player time in the 40-yard dash. And Robinson looked good during the Vikings rookie minicamp, Organized Team Activities and mandatory minicamp this spring at Winter Park.

But Robinson didn’t get any looks last Friday in the Vikings preseason opener against the San Francisco 49ers. As a precaution, the team held him out of action because of a hamstring injury that hampered him earlier in camp.

This Friday should be a different story, however. Robinson is slated to see plenty of action against the Buffalo Bills.

“I don’t know if he’ll get first team reps, but we’ll try to get him a number of snaps so we can evaluate him and so he’ll be able to evaluate himself and find out what the pro game is all about,” Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier said. “And he wants to win a starting spot, so we want to see him go out there and work and get some snaps against some good receivers and be able to gauge where he is at the end of this ball game. We’re looking forward to watching him play.”

Fans should be looking forward to watching him play, too. Robinson is speedy and quick. He can play defense and special teams. Whether he intercepts a pass or fields a kickoff or punt, Robinson has the explosiveness to be a playmaker for the Vikings.

“He can close and go from point A to point B as fast as anybody we have, or that I’ve seen,” Frazier said. “His closing speed is outstanding.
Of course, we all know he had the fastest time at the Combine, but it shows up on the football field. A lot of guys can run fast straight ahead but it doesn’t show up when you put pads on. But in his case, it shows up.”

From the looks of it so far, Robinson has all the physical traits to be a contributor for the Vikings. The question now, and the question that the Vikings will begin to answer on Friday night when Robinson makes his NFL debut, is about the non-physical part of the game.

“He has great closing speed,” Frazier explained, “but now it’s a matter of ‘can he handle some of the things that come at him, formations, routes, terminology?’ There are so many things that have to come in to play to be a big time corner in our league.

“It’ll be a big test for him. He’s anxious to get out there and perform and show everyone that he’s capable of playing at this level.”
http://blog.vikings.com/2012/08/15/cb-r ... on-friday/
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Looking forward to seeing him in action.
I am too! I wonder if he'll get a chance ti return punts or kickoffs?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Blair Walsh back on track, just went 8 for 8 from 38 to 48 yards as final practice of #Vikings camp begins.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Hey! Some Jarius Wright news!
Jarius Wright continues to field (and not field) punts in a way that has to scare #Vikings coaches to death. Josh Robinson much improved.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Hey! Some Jarius Wright news!
LOL! He must be sure-handed. ;)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Jordan Todman is running like he has a peg leg. Not sure why they're even putting him through individual drills on that ankle.
Tyler Holmes, listed as a guard, working at left tackle this week. Kevin Murphy still not getting any turns in walkthrough. #Vikings
WR pecking order unchanged. Simpson-Harvin-Jenkins, Aromashodu-Taylor-Burton, Arceneaux-Wright-Walters. #Vikings
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

There's Smith again with the 1s, people.
Winfield getting another light day so in team drills the CBs are Cook, Burton, Carr in nickel. Smith and Raymond at safeties.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Rookie CB Josh Robinson with the twos today. He's rising. #Vikings
And Robinson just baited Webb into a pick six. Wow is he fast.
:thumbsup:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Drat.
Reggie Jones has really gone quiet after his hot start to camp. Michael Jenkins beating him up today.
nfcnorthchamps25
Backup

Post by nfcnorthchamps25 »

Just a thought, but doesnt Robison have some experience at DT? If he could play inside some it could allow us to get Griffin on the field more.

I know there was some talk of having JA, Robison, and Griffin all on the field for passing downs but I guess i just dont know how they plan on doing it. I think its something they could do more than just in passing situations to get our best players on the field.