**Official '12 Vikings Training Camp Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: **Official '12 Vikings Training Camp Thread

Post by S197 »

losperros wrote:Thanks for taking the time to answer my now disappeared post. Did I accidentally delete it or something? Weird.
According to the log, you deleted your post.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Guys, it's been said many times before, if someone annoys you, use the foe option. Questioning whether someone is a real fan or not has never and will never be tolerated here. We try to keep an open discussion here, either keep it civil or ignore each other.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Reason for optimism, concern as camp ends
Allen has gotten the better of the matchup overall. But Kalil hasn't exactly been a turnstile against the NFL's reigning sack king.

"I've had a few good days against him," Kalil said. "Which fuels my confidence. But with Jared, if you feel like you're on top of the world, he'll beat you three plays in a row."

Kalil has also reminded himself to stay receptive to Allen's pointers.

"Jared's beaten offensive tackles a lot better than me," Kalil said. "And he's so multidimensional with everything he does -- his footwork, all of his moves, his hands. He's helped me refine my footwork so I don't open up too fast. He's shown me ways to better use my hands. Plus, to see the way he works his butt off out here, there's never a threat of complacency."
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... =y&refer=y
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

10 more training camp revelations for the Vikings
1. Christian Ponder looks for Kyle Rudolph a lot. Rudolph has big hands, long arms and added confidence. Don’t be surprised if he leads the team in targets this season.

2. Jerome Simpson’s speed and athleticism should add a new dimension to the offense. Simpson’s absence, however, for the first three weeks of the regular season due to an NFL suspension will be noticeable.

3. Special teams coach Mike Priefer will love watching rookie Blair Walsh kick. The touchback barrage that’s coming on Vikings’ kickoffs will be a snooze-fest for TV audiences but incredibly fulfilling to Priefer. Walsh’s accuracy on field goal attempts will also be worth monitoring. He seems to have the mental makeup to be a long-term answer for the Vikings.

4. Behind Percy Harvin and Simpson, the receiving corps is thin, thin, thin on proven playmakers. How long will it take youngsters like Jarius Wright and Stephen Burton to emerge? Will the Vikings keep both Michael Jenkins and Devin Aromashodu around? Will they keep either? Do guys like Kerry Taylor and Emmanuel Arceneaux have a chance at making the team?

5. Head coach Leslie Frazier is leading with added purpose and confidence in 2012 and certain that the blueprint he has in place will produce future success.

6. Part of Frazier’s plan, in conjunction with General Manager Rick Spielman, has been to bring in young players who care deeply about succeeding and are willing to invest extra time and energy to do so. Frazier and Spielman also don’t mind guys who have a nasty edge to them, which is why rookies Harrison Smith and Rhett Ellison have fast become favorites.

7. With all the attention paid to the Vikings’ young players, veteran defensive linemen Kevin Williams and Brian Robison have quietly positioned themselves to be major difference-makers again in 2012. Hard-working, ego-free and motivated, Williams and Robison will be great influences on the defense.

8. Antoine Winfield’s workload will be worth monitoring. To use Winfield extensively in the role the coaches want to – as a slot corner in nickel packages – someone else will have to emerge outside.

9. Twenty-nine-year-old Chris Carr will get the first opportunity to excel in that outside corner role opposite Chris Cook. But Carr might just be keeping the seat warm until rookie Josh Robinson makes his rise and is able to step in.

10. Injuries have already bit the Vikings in a major way. The potentially career-ending knee injuries to rookie receiver Greg Childs provided the most devastating camp setback. But John Carlson also missed the final 11 camp practices with a knee issue. He will need to soon show that he can play to justify the big investment the Vikings made.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 02176.html
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

S197 wrote: According to the log, you deleted your post.
Thanks for the heads up. I think I know what I did. I was on the phone and distracted, plus trying to "edit" the post at the same time. But nooooo, I unconsciously ran through the entire freakin' delete process instead. Way to go. Utterly retarded of me! :oops:

Anyway, no harm done. Demi saw the post before I accidentally snuffed it.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:5. Head coach Leslie Frazier is leading with added purpose and confidence in 2012 and certain that the blueprint he has in place will produce future success.

6. Part of Frazier’s plan, in conjunction with General Manager Rick Spielman, has been to bring in young players who care deeply about succeeding and are willing to invest extra time and energy to do so. Frazier and Spielman also don’t mind guys who have a nasty edge to them, which is why rookies Harrison Smith and Rhett Ellison have fast become favorites.
Good stuff. I love hearing about the connection between Ponder and Rudolph. I hope that pays big dividends.

I especially like the two lines I've quoted above. Only time will tell, of course, but it's very encouraging to hear that Frazier "is leading with added purpose and confidence in 2012" and that he has confidence in his blueprint for the team. I think there's been a natural tendency to be cynical about him because he was part of Childress' staff but the two coaches seem pretty different to me and thus far, although he's made some mistakes, I like Frazier's overall approach.

I think Frazier and Spielman are on the right track with the philosophy indicated in #6. The Vikes don't need more players like Berrian, McNabb and Favre in 2010, players who aren't enthusiastically, fully committed to what they're doing.

I really hope this coach/GM combo can lead the team to success. It would be nice to see the Vikes take a direct line from where they are now to a championship without having to go through another overhaul. They still have a lot of work to do...
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

dead_poet wrote:But John Carlson also missed the final 11 camp practices with a knee issue. He will need to soon show that he can play to justify the big investment the Vikings made.
John Carlson could become expendable in a hurry if he's slow to come back from that injury.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Eli wrote: John Carlson could become expendable in a hurry if he's slow to come back from that injury.
At what the Vikings paid? Doubtful.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote: At what the Vikings paid? Doubtful.
Maybe I missed it but what is Carlson's present status with his recovery?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:Maybe I missed it but what is Carlson's present status with his recovery?
Frazier said he'll be back Sunday at the earliest so maybe we'll see him in the third or fourth preseason game. Barring any setbacks, he should be ready when the season begins.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Demi wrote: But question Ponder? Oh boy now you've done it.
You've been a fan for a long time, and you've watched football for a long time. Are you saying that you've never been surprised by how a player did in the pros as compared to college, or even their early years with their teams?

I mean, projecting is all fine and dandy, but if you're basing Ponder's potential on how he did in college you have to acknowledge that he had a pretty good, if not great, junior campaign before he got injured. His numbers put him up there among the best in college football that season, and he arguably had less talent around him than some of the bigger names. Yes, he took a step back in his senior year, but lots of players who return from injuries do take steps back. I'd wager our own AD is going to not quite look like his old self this season, but that doesn't mean he can't or won't return to his old form.

I'm not saying Ponder is going to be great, but this isn't Tarvaris Jackson or Joe Webb we're talking about. We're talking about a guy who put up a legit outstanding season his junior year against good competition and without a lot of firepower in support. Ponder deserves the benefit of the doubt when projecting his ceiling based on that.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@StribDW: Listening back on audio of a valuable 1-on-1 interview w Leslie Frazier. Vikings fans should take a deep breath, have faith in his vision.

@StribDW: I don't think the Vikings will be very good this season --> 6-10. But I do think they are establishing a strong foundation.

@StribDW: And I do think, if given time to see through his master plan, that Frazier can be a very good head coach in this league.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Demi wrote:
Not that the thinks it's realistic for a rebuilding 3 win team to make the playoffs. Because it isn't realistic. Not even close. And if he believes it (which I doubt very much) then he's an idiot. There were plenty of things he could have said, and he's said plenty of things, none of them as preposterous as this.
Yep, especially since Ponder is attempting to establish himself as a leader of this team! What a ridiculous thing to say, we all know that being optimistic and encouraging is just poor leadership. He should be calling out how terrible his teammates are to the national media and basically stating that he's given up on the season before it's begun, because nothing projects more leadership than pessimism. :roll:

The only thing preposterous about Ponder's statement is the fact that you're calling him out for it.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

The only thing preposterous about Ponder's statement is the fact that you're calling him out for it.
I guess we'll know for sure after the season is over who's statement was more preposterous...
Kind of like the 1998 4-12 rams winning the super bowl the year after. Nope, never happened before
Greatest show on turf part two here we come! :rock:
9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

Anyway camp is over. We will see what this team is capable of soon enough.