**Official '12 Vikings Training Camp Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

**Official '12 Vikings Training Camp Thread

Post by dead_poet »

Adrian Peterson will 'fight' against going on PUP to start camp
All indications are that Adrian Peterson will open training camp on the active/physically unable to perform list, but the Minnesota Vikings star running back admitted Thursday he is hoping to convince the team to not put him on that list.

"It's going to be their call," Peterson said after arriving at Gage towers on the Minnesota State University campus. "We're going to discuss that (Thursday night). My main focus is just getting out there and trying to get myself ready. I'm going to be honest with you, I'm going to try and fight against (being on the PUP) so I can get out there and be involved. But ultimately, I know these guys will do what's best for the team."

Peterson, 27, is recovering from surgery after tearing the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in his left knee on Dec. 24 against Washington.

The Vikings and Peterson have said their goal is to have him on the field for the Sept. 9 regular-season opener against Jacksonville. But he's less than seven months removed from reconstruction surgery, and placing him on active/PUP gives the Vikings flexibility in case he has a setback.

Players on active/PUP can be activated at any time. Once a player is activated, he's ineligible for reserve/PUP, which sidelines him for at least six weeks.

Coach Leslie Frazier confirmed he would discuss the situation with Peterson on Thursday evening. "(I) just want to get a better feel for where he is physically after I talk with our trainers and our doctors," Frazier said. "After they take a look at him today, we'll talk about what the best plan for him (will be)."
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Adri ... camp072612
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: **Official '12 Vikings Training Camp Thread

Post by Eli »

I have a hard time seeing any advantage to placing Adrian Peterson on the active PUP list. The only reason to have someone on the active PUP (preseason) is to make them eligible to be placed on the reserve PUP list at the start of the regular season.

While a player is on either PUP list, they can't participate in any practices, and a player on the reserve PUP cannot be activated until after at least week six. So after six weeks they start attending their first practices of the season. You're talking about missing at least 7 or 8 games.

That seems like a _huge_ difference in the projected return date for Peterson. Is it week 1 or week 9? Even if you were fairly certain that you want to hold him back 3, 4, even possibly 5 or 6 games, the only way to be able to make that decision from week to week is if Peterson is on the active roster when the regular season begins.
shannontw
Veteran

Post by shannontw »

Eli- The Vikings are trying to take it easy and slow with Peterson. cautious. no need tp rush him back. I think Toby Gerhart can hold it down until Peterson is ready.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@StribDW: Leslie Frazier said he wants to have starting RG figured out by Preseason Game 3. Barring injury, I think Fusco wins that job handily.
Dan Wiederer on Twitter
Last edited by dead_poet on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack
Today is the first day of Minnesota Vikings training camp and all eyes were on the roster designation of running back Adrian Peterson, who is less than eight months removed from surgery to repair a torn ACL in his knee. Head coach Leslie Frazier announced that Peterson was among three Vikings who will open camp on the physically unable to perform list, Tom Pelissero of KSTP-AM in St. Paul reports.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@TomPelissero: Griffen now weighs 258, per Frazier. So motivated to play linebacker he came in great shape.
@TomPelissero: Frazier says Harrison Smith is with twos because they want him to compete and win the job, whereas they know Kalil is the guy. #Vikings
@TomPelissero: Harvin said he likes the steps the #Vikings have taken on offense and Ponder ha gotten "head over heels better."
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

shannontw wrote:Eli- The Vikings are trying to take it easy and slow with Peterson. cautious. no need tp rush him back. I think Toby Gerhart can hold it down until Peterson is ready.
I understand, and agree with that approach completely. But the possibility of Peterson missing an entire half of the season seemed pretty remote even as recently as the mini-camp. Now it looks like it's being seriously considered.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

dead_poet wrote:
I wonder if he'll get a new number. That would probably be the best indication that the Vikings are truly serious about having Griffen play linebacker. So far, I get the distinct impression that they're still just feeling it out.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

As far as having Mount Everson play LB, if they do put him there I hope they have him rush the passer a lot. He's an excellent pash rusher and I'd hope he'd still get plenty of chances to go after the QB.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

If he came in at 258 and is actually in "great shape," then they have been talking about his moving to LB for more than just a few weeks. It would have taken him some gym time to come in at 258 without shedding lean body mass in the wrong places. Regardless, sounds like good news.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Eli wrote: I wonder if he'll get a new number. That would probably be the best indication that the Vikings are truly serious about having Griffen play linebacker. So far, I get the distinct impression that they're still just feeling it out.
It's more than feeling things out. Word is he'll be at LB all through camp. I like it. Plus, maybe he'll spell Allen/Robison a bit more this season too. Glad they are getting him on the field. I hope it works and he's a beast in that position as well.
Vikefan68
Transition Player

Post by Vikefan68 »

If there is any player on the team that is miscast it is Griffen. The guy belongs in a 3-4. I hope they figure out a way to get him on the field because he is a tremendous talent and has great physical attributes as seen by that video of him covering WRs at the Fritz's camp.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

One of the team's first-round draft picks this year (left tackle Matt Kalil) worked with the first team, while the other one (safety Harrison Smith) worked with the second unit. Smith is expected to win a starting job, but Frazier is showing respect for his veteran safeties by not throwing Smith in with the first unit from Day 1. "In Harrison's case, there's going to be some competition," Frazier said. "We want him to compete and win that job, and we'll see how it plays out over the next few weeks."
Frazier said the team ideally would like to have the right guard competition decided by the third preseason game against the Chargers on Aug. 24. Second-year pro Brandon Fusco is working with the first team today. Geoff Schwartz is working with the second team. Frazier said Chris DeGeare, who spent all of last season on the practice squad, also will get a chance to win the job.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 40326.html
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Frazier said #Vikings will get fans involved to create a competitive environment for Blair Walsh. So, that could be interesting ...
Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Frazier said #Vikings will get fans involved to create a competitive environment for Blair Walsh. So, that could be interesting ...
What in the world does that mean? They going to have fans throw snowballs at Walsh while he practices field goals?