**Official '12 Vikings Training Camp Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

losperros
Commissioner

Re: **Official '12 Vikings Training Camp Thread

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: Frazier said he'll be back Sunday at the earliest so maybe we'll see him in the third or fourth preseason game. Barring any setbacks, he should be ready when the season begins.
Thanks for the update.

I hope that Carlson can catch on quickly and be a good player for the Vikes. I get the feeling that he and Rudolph will be badly needed in the passing game.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Demi wrote: I guess we'll know for sure after the season is over who's statement was more preposterous...

regardless of our record, you're statement was preposterous, that's the point :rofl:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Judd Zulgad updates the Vikings various injury situations:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Note ... ined082012

Guion was back to practice on Monday with a brace on his knee. However, this news was disappointing:
The news is not as good for tight end John Carlson. Carlson (knee) remains sidelined and Frazier said he doesn't expect him to play Friday. "We'll hopefully get him to practice some next week but he's not going to make it for this ballgame," Frazier said.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

The news is not as good for tight end John Carlson. Carlson (knee) remains sidelined and Frazier said he doesn't expect him to play Friday. "We'll hopefully get him to practice some next week but he's not going to make it for this ballgame," Frazier said.
I think some other writer commented that it was always going to be 3-4 weeks for Carlson. It's a knee injury, not a sprained thumb. Not sure where Frazier came up with 1-2 weeks, other than PR speak. If/when Carlson misses the opener, then I think we can worry. But like Geoff Schwartz, when he does come back from this early training camp injury, he'll have had very little practice time with his new team.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pelissero covers the Vikings injury situation and how they "could be a complicating factor as cuts come down twice next week":

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Peli ... 082512?t=2
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Hardly surprising.

Stephen Burton - WR - Vikings

According to Vikings coach Leslie Frazier, WR Stephen Burton hasn't done "anything" to separate himself.

Burton saw limited snaps in Friday's regular season tune-up. "When I look at the tape, we'll see how he did blocking and he did running around, but as a whole, we never gathered any rhythm offensively, so that also means he wasn't a big factor in what we were trying to do offensively." Burton clearly no longer has an outside shot at starting during Jerome Simpson's suspension, and is on the roster bubble.
Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Rhett Ellison - TE - Vikings

Vikings fourth-round TE Rhett Ellison will undergo an MRI after injuring his knee in Friday's preseason game.

Ellison's injury isn't believed to be of the season-ending variety. Ticketed for the third string behind Kyle Rudolph and John Carlson, Ellison has four catches for 27 yards through three exhibition games.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Hardly surprising.

Stephen Burton - WR - Vikings

According to Vikings coach Leslie Frazier, WR Stephen Burton hasn't done "anything" to separate himself.

Burton saw limited snaps in Friday's regular season tune-up. "When I look at the tape, we'll see how he did blocking and he did running around, but as a whole, we never gathered any rhythm offensively, so that also means he wasn't a big factor in what we were trying to do offensively." Burton clearly no longer has an outside shot at starting during Jerome Simpson's suspension, and is on the roster bubble.
No, it's not surprising. I'm pretty sure Jenkins or Aromashodu will end up starting in Simpson's absence, which basically puts the WR corps back to last year.
dead_poet wrote:Rhett Ellison - TE - Vikings

Vikings fourth-round TE Rhett Ellison will undergo an MRI after injuring his knee in Friday's preseason game.

Ellison's injury isn't believed to be of the season-ending variety. Ticketed for the third string behind Kyle Rudolph and John Carlson, Ellison has four catches for 27 yards through three exhibition games.
I'm glad his injury isn't deemed to be season-ending. Hopefully, he won't be out too long. I'm guessing Ellison's injury probably means Reisner will make the 53 man roster. I wonder how many TEs they intend to keep?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:I'm glad his injury isn't deemed to be season-ending. Hopefully, he won't be out too long. I'm guessing Ellison's injury probably means Reisner will make the 53 man roster. I wonder how many TEs they intend to keep?
I didn't see the injury. Did it look bad?

My guess is they'll keep 4 until Simpson returns. I don't think he counts against the 53 until he returns from suspension, correct? I'm more concerned with Robison at this point. I'm disappointed we didn't get to see as much of him.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: I didn't see the injury. Did it look bad?
It looked like it hurt but I didn't think it looked severe (not that I know squat about such things).
My guess is they'll keep 4 until Simpson returns. I don't think he counts against the 53 until he returns from suspension, correct?
Good point! I'm pretty sure you're right about that.
I'm more concerned with Robison at this point. I'm disappointed we didn't get to see as much of him.
I assume you meant Robinson, not Robison. I didn't see how he got the concussion but hopefully, it's not a nasty one. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him out of next week's game but with luck, he'll be ready to go against Jacksonville.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Mothman wrote:I wonder how many TEs they intend to keep?
More to the point.. How many injured TEs they intend to keep?
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Eli wrote: More to the point.. How many injured TEs they intend to keep?
I'm starting to like Allen Reisner a lot. He was mostly a blocking TE for Iowa but I thought he looked sharp catching the ball in the last preseason game.

He can definitely block and if he can catch as well, then maybe he's someone who could be out there with Rudolph in the 2 TE sets.

And, believe it or not, Reisner is actually healthy!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: I'm starting to like Allen Reisner a lot. He was mostly a blocking TE for Iowa but I thought he looked sharp catching the ball in the last preseason game.

He can definitely block and if he can catch as well, then maybe he's someone who could be out there with Rudolph in the 2 TE sets.

And, believe it or not, Reisner is actually healthy!
Be quiet. You'll jinx him!