Jenkins

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Jenkins

Post by dead_poet »

Michael Jenkins - WR - Vikings

Michael Jenkins (torn meniscus) was having trouble planting on his knee and didn't look comfortable running during minicamp, according to Christian Ponder.

Back in May, Jenkins insisted that the knee was at 100 percent. Ponder's comments suggest otherwise. Already lacking separation ability, Jenkins can't afford to have a hitch in his giddyup. Due $2.5 million at age 30, he's no lock to stick on the Vikings' final roster.
Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press Jul 21 - 4:56 PM
---
He has good hands and is reliable on third downs but he's not the speediest guy even before the injury. If Childs can stay on the field and show promise, I can see Jenkins being cut loose. I wouldn't miss him much. He has no business as an outside starter anymore.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Jenkins

Post by jackal »

I liked Jenkins before he was even on the Vikings. This might eliminate him from the
roster though. Especially with young pick up having good mini camps.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Cut him. Stupid signing at the time. Same type of signing Childress loved. Bring in players who've played in the system even if they weren't any good at it. Give the young guys some time.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Demi wrote:Cut him. Stupid signing at the time.
What signing?
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Eli wrote: What signing?
Signing Jenkins in the first place.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Demi wrote:Cut him. Stupid signing at the time. Same type of signing Childress loved. Bring in players who've played in the system even if they weren't any good at it. Give the young guys some time.
Along those lines, how does a guy with Jenkins' track record sign a contract that pays him 2.5 million a year? Even if Childress loved system guys, that's a lot of change for a guy who has shown very little over his career. I don't think Childress can take all of the blame for the signing - someone else must have agreed to pay him that. From what I've seen and know of Jenkins, he's a vet-minimum kind of guy and should be pretty easy to replace, injured or not.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Jenkins can't take all the blame .. no training camp, mcflabb, terrible O line last year

these all account for the production of the offense last year.
9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

I'm a little surprised to hear this from Ponder. This usually comes from a different source.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I didn't notice it came from Ponder .. that could have some effects down the road with teammates
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Sounds like he thought he could push the injury and now it is biting him. Hard to say if this is a big deal or not. Do we have another legit possession player to put on the field right now? Not to say that Jenkins is great, but the guys behind him are either unproven or even less productive. (or both)

In the long run this probably just speeds up the inevitable. At $2.5MM with his production he was likely to be a salary cap casualty sooner rather than later.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Jenkins' year last year was no worse than his previous four. He's certainly been consistent.

Code: Select all

Year   Rec     G   Rec/G
2007    53    15    3.53
2008    50    16    3.13
2009    50    15    3.33
2010    41    11    3.73
2011    38    11    3.45
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Eli wrote:Jenkins' year last year was no worse than his previous four. He's certainly been consistent.

Code: Select all

Year   Rec     G   Rec/G
2007    53    15    3.53
2008    50    16    3.13
2009    50    15    3.33
2010    41    11    3.73
2011    38    11    3.45
So if he reaches his 50 reception/year watermark, at $2.5 million that's $50,000 per catch.

Could be worse I guess. The Vikings could be on the hook for $10.5 million like the Seahawks are for Sidney Rice this upcoming season. Even if Sidney were to match his career-best performance of 83 catches, a feat which seems more and more unlikely as Rice's injury-riddled career progresses, that's a whopping $126,000 per catch.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Could be worse I guess. The Vikings could be on the hook for $10.5 million like the Seahawks are for Sidney Rice this upcoming season.
At least they have the hope that if he's healthy he's a talented player. Unlike Jenkins. Also four years younger.

Why we're wasting snaps on this guy at this point. :wallbang:
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Jenkins is someone I would actually enjoy having back this season. He may not be the flashiest, but he is consistent.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Jenkins is someone I would actually enjoy having back this season. He may not be the flashiest, but he is consistent.
If he's healthy. He looked liked a pretty good possession receiver last year. Of course, the Vikings didn't possess the ball much last year, so nobody had a great season.