View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Percy Harvin Kickoff Returns 

Should Percy be the primary KO Returner?
Yes 71%  71%  [ 27 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 11 ]
Undecided 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 38

Percy Harvin Kickoff Returns 
Starting Wide Receiver

Post Percy Harvin Kickoff Returns
Without getting into pissing matches, I am curious about what everyone's opinions are as far as Percy returning kicks (Kickoffs, not punts).

IMO, I think he should be the primary KO returner because whenever he does it is electric. Even when he doesn't score, it seems he is just one tackle away from breaking it. If you look at Percy Harvin Kickoff Returns on YouTube (or Percy Harvin Highlights), it is easy to see that there are not many players better than him at returns.

What do you all think?

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commissioner

Post Re: Percy Harvin Kickoff Returns
I'm voting yes simply because Harvin is darn good at returning kicks, which helps the team.

Last edited by losperros on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:22 pm
Hall of Famer

I'm voting no. The reason is that I believe he is more valuable as an offensive threat and I believe that KO return duty would shorten his career and effectiveness with the offense. Hester is a singular return talent, and I'd love to have a Hester-clone with the Vikings, but Harvin isn't him. What he adds to the offense is far more vital, IMO.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:02 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

BGM wrote:
I'm voting no. The reason is that I believe he is more valuable as an offensive threat and I believe that KO return duty would shorten his career and effectiveness with the offense. Hester is a singular return talent, and I'd love to have a Hester-clone with the Vikings, but Harvin isn't him. What he adds to the offense is far more vital, IMO.

You idiot!

Just kiddig. I totally get that angle. What about when the team needs a spark, like if they are down by 4 with 45 secods left to GB or something? Kind of like "spot duty" KO Returns?

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:
BGM wrote:

You idiot!

Just kiddig. I totally get that angle. What about when the team needs a spark, like if they are down by 4 with 45 secods left to GB or something? Kind of like "spot duty" KO Returns?

I honestly still say no. The force at which ST players collide and the angles they hit seem tailor-made to increase the chance of injury. Of course, I have no hard data with which to support that position, but those hits, even in limited action, take their toll. There are other players with speed and agility who could help provide that spark as well, and if that is the goal, why not have AD return kicks? :wink:

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:07 pm
Franchise Player

As awesome and explosive he is he needs to be out there every play on offense but if they need him in the 4th or die of need situations I think you put him back there.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:54 pm
Hall of Famer

I say yes. Not the primary KR ... the only KR. I want to see him on the field for every kickoff that the Vikings take.

Two things:

1. How many kickoffs are even returnable any more? If he takes some big chances and brings out anything less than 8 yards deep, I would guess less than half of them.

2. The Vikings are unlikely to be a scoring juggernaut for the foreseeable future. Which mean they'll see fewer kickoffs than the average team would.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:03 am
Defensive Tackle

PurpleMustReign wrote:
BGM wrote:

You idiot!

That's what I'd favor. I think he should be used as a KO returner, just not as the primary KO returner. I think that would take too much out of him over the course of a season and, as Brian said, he's too vital to the offense to do that. I'd use him strategically during the regular season and make him the primary returner in playoff games.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:50 am
Site Admin

Eli wrote:
2. The Vikings are unlikely to be a scoring juggernaut for the foreseeable future. Which mean they'll see fewer kickoffs than the average team would.

Wouldn't number of kickoffs seen relate to the defense not the offense?

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:57 am
Hall of Famer

I have been pushing for Harvin to the be main KR for a long time. He is simply too dangerous to not have return kicks.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:14 pm
Hall of Famer

Unless one of the rookies, or ST guys, can prove they are better, ofc he should. Hes one of the best at it.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:24 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Should he be back there........absolutely........ but only on K/O's where he has a little extra time to field the ball cleanly and to see a seam that he feels he can take advantage of by returning it. If the ball is kicked into the end zone and he does'nt see anything then there is no risk of injury and we get the ball at the 20 but....... how often do we hear "this is a game of field position"?

IMO Having Harvin returning K/O's would certainly give the offense improved field position to start drives and that improved field position could be the difference between scoring points and punting the ball away.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:14 pm
Hall of Famer

glg wrote:
Eli wrote:

Wouldn't number of kickoffs seen relate to the defense not the offense?

Doh!! Maybe _more_ than the average team. :oops:

Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:52 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

I'm all for having him back there. I understand the wear and tear\injury POV....but I think the risk is overblown. In fact, i'm of the opinion that the guys getting hurt on returns are rarely the ball carriers. It's usually guys getting hit while they're looking elsewhere. Can't even remember the last time I saw a guy get hurt on a kickoff and it was the return man.
I do think it would add some wear and tear...but if the guy is only seeing 50% of the offensive snaps in the first place then use him back there. He's a threat to go for 6 every time. Hester is the only guy better IMO

Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:12 pm
Franchise Player

The Breeze wrote:
I'm all for having him back there. I understand the wear and tear\injury POV....but I think the risk is overblown. In fact, i'm of the opinion that the guys getting hurt on returns are rarely the ball carriers. It's usually guys getting hit while they're looking elsewhere. Can't even remember the last time I saw a guy get hurt on a kickoff and it was the return man.
I do think it would add some wear and tear...but if the guy is only seeing 50% of the offensive snaps in the first place then use him back there. He's a threat to go for 6 every time. Hester is the only guy better IMO

I agree with you too but I think Patrick Peterson is actually better than Hester and Percy at the return game.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:15 pm
Veteran

NO, I really don't think his returns are worth the risk this year, we should wait for a couple seasons or find another one.

Me and Mercy Percy were tied with 197 posts before this one, got you whomped!

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
Franchise Player

Primarily....no but definately in certain situations. I think Harvin is to talented to be just part of the wr core, but i think having him 100% on special teams might take away from his success in the passing game. Mainly just because of fatigue.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:14 am
All Pro Elite Player

Percy is a Jack of all trades, and he thrives on it. Why wouldn't we want him on Kick off duty? Last I checked, being closer to the end zone is a good thing.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:10 pm
Hall of Famer

No. percy needs to be used more like desean jackson is being used in philly.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:21 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

hibbingviking wrote:
No. percy needs to be used more like desean jackson is being used in philly.

On Punt Returns?

Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Inductee

Mercy Percy wrote:
The Breeze wrote:

I agree with you too but I think Patrick Peterson is actually better than Hester and Percy at the return game.

You could be on to something there. I honestly haven't seen him much...but there is definitely a buzz about him to go with his stats. I forgot about him

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:41 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

BGM wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
BGM wrote:

You idiot!

I honestly still say no. The force at which ST players collide and the angles they hit seem tailor-made to increase the chance of injury. Of course, I have no hard data with which to support that position, but those hits, even in limited action, take their toll. There are other players with speed and agility who could help provide that spark as well, and if that is the goal, why not have AD return kicks? :wink:

I totally agree.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:00 am
Commissioner

Quote:
why not have AD return kicks?

I remember having this same discussion his first couple years! And my response is the same, get them off special teams. Percy needs to be on the first for 100% of offensive snaps. Exhaustion, injuries, exhaustion leading to injuries. I'm sure there's someone else on the roster at a backup receiver or corner spot that could do the job, maybe not as well, but close enough to make up the difference.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:33 am
Starting Wide Receiver

Demi wrote:
Quote:

I remember having this same discussion his first couple years! And my response is the same, get them off special teams. Percy needs to be on the first for 100% of offensive snaps. Exhaustion, injuries, exhaustion leading to injuries. I'm sure there's someone else on the roster at a backup receiver or corner spot that could do the job, maybe not as well, but close enough to make up the difference.

I remember AD returned a kick against Chicago in his first season and nearly took it all the way. I wouldn't mind seeing him do that.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:30 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post Percy Harvin Kickoff Returns
PurpleMustReign wrote:
Demi wrote:
Quote:

I remember AD returned a kick against Chicago in his first season and nearly took it all the way. I wouldn't mind seeing him do that.

Way too risky. No point now that it is a touchback league. You cannot put your 2nd best offensive player and far best WR on kickoffs in the regular season. Maybe in the playoffs for punts. Never kickoffs.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:09 pm
All Pro Elite Player

No, not the primary kick off guy, returners take far too much of a beating and Percy hasn't exactly proven to be made of steel. He needs to be used on offense more, STs less. However, he is a threat to take it the distance everytime, and kickoff TDs can provide a spark for a team that can often change the game, so I do think he should be put in from time to time when the team needs a lift.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:20 pm
Hall of Famer

You put your best players in the positions where they can do the most good. For PH thats returning kicks. Hes one of the best. You cant play to think your going to get hurt on a play. He takes more damage playing returner then SLOT. YOU PLAY TO WIN. Something I hope the Vikings realize one of these years.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]