Harrison Smith Interview

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

bry0232
Waterboy

Harrison Smith Interview

Post by bry0232 »

Check this video out of a interview with Harrison Smith, another Notre Dame boy on the payroll.... if you just want a laugh fastforward to 2:05 I think he wants to laugh and say "I F&#$*$ hope so."
bry0232
Waterboy

Re: Harrison Smith Interview

Post by bry0232 »

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings rookie Harrison Smith: 'A smart guy' who can deliver a big hit
Vikings safety Harrison Smith, who crunched Calvin Johnson as the Lions wide receiver ran a second-quarter post pattern to dislodge the ball on Sunday, was still receiving back-slaps for the big hit at Vikings practice Wednesday, Oct. 3.

Smith, a rookie from Notre Dame, has been impressive in four games as a starter but never more than in the 20-13 victory over Detroit.

"Just a football play," he said of the hit on Johnson. "Hopefully, that's not the best play of my career. It was good to get a win, but now we're moving on."

Smith has shown he's a quick learner with the Vikings, and twice prevented Johnson from making a catch on Sunday.

"I think it's just about knowing what your fit is, and then playing with your help," Smith said. "He's faster than I am, so I don't want to be in a footrace with him, but I know where my other guys are at."

Smith got help from safety Jamarca Sanford, making his first start for the Vikings, on Johnson's second-quarter slant pattern.

Sanford, in his fourth NFL season, sees Smith picking up things very quickly, knowing exactly where his teammates are expected to be and communicating well with them.

"He's a smart guy," Sanford said. "He can see it in the classroom and take it to the field. A lot of guys as rookies, the speed of the game or a game plan is just a little too much for them sometimes. He picks up real well. That's a good guy to be back there with."
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_216 ... :0|order:2
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

He also dropped a certain INT. I don't think I've ever seen a bunch of DBs who were so bad at catching footballs. I'm sure Smith will get some more chances before he's through, but it's still discouraging to see yet another stone-handed player in the Vikings' secondary.
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

Stone handed for one reason, thats why they arent wide receivers.
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Mercy Percy wrote:Stone handed for one reason, thats why they arent wide receivers.
Harrison Smith couldn't play wide receiver in the NFL even if he could catch any ball that came within five yards of him.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Eli wrote:He also dropped a certain INT. I don't think I've ever seen a bunch of DBs who were so bad at catching footballs. I'm sure Smith will get some more chances before he's through, but it's still discouraging to see yet another stone-handed player in the Vikings' secondary.
I don't know that I'd give him the "stone hands" label just yet. Even Cris Carter occasionally dropped a pass to him, so one pass is not a good sample size to make a judgement. I agree though, that it is frustrating to see how many "gift interceptions" the secondary (as a whole) have dropped...
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Eli wrote:He also dropped a certain INT. I don't think I've ever seen a bunch of DBs who were so bad at catching footballs. .
"I'm sure Smith will get some more chances before he's through, but it's still discouraging to see yet another stone-handed player in the Vikings' secondary"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDZf55pb7Ic
Really, he has played in only four games, is 23 years old, and you THINK that he will get some more chances to intercept some passes before his career is through :?:
I say that by all indications this kid will turn out to be the best strong safety that the Vikings have had since (Joey Browner). And yes I know that Sharper came in and had one good season with the Vikes.
So you look at him and already label him as a stone handed DB. I look at his whole game and maybe he might not have the best hands in the world but I really love what he has shown thus far with his hard hitting skills, intelligence and coverage abilities.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Purple bruise wrote: Really, he has played in only four games, is 23 years old, and you THINK that he will get some more chances to intercept some passes before his career is through?
How is it that you managed to read "I"m sure" as "I think"?
admvp
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by admvp »

Eli wrote:He also dropped a certain INT. I don't think I've ever seen a bunch of DBs who were so bad at catching footballs. I'm sure Smith will get some more chances before he's through, but it's still discouraging to see yet another stone-handed player in the Vikings' secondary.
It's unusual for defensive backs to have good hands.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

I don't think anyone is expecting one handed leaping grabs from our DB's.
I don't know that I'd give him the "stone hands" label just yet. Even Cris Carter occasionally dropped a pass to him, so one pass is not a good sample size to make a judgement. I agree though, that it is frustrating to see how many "gift interceptions" the secondary (as a whole) have dropped...
Hopefully that was just a bad one and he got overly excited or something.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

shoot I am just glad he was in the right spot to make a play our secondary has been terrible the last few years especially our SS and FS spot

in the wrong spot getting burned by 20 yards plus yikes !
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Eli wrote: How is it that you managed to read "I"m sure" as "I think"?
In my opinion that is splitting hairs. The point that I was making is that you seemed to be putting a negative spin on the article and or Smith himself. Come on now, you do often times take a half empty approach with your posts in reference to the Vikings. That may or may not come from years of frustration and disappointment, which is quite understandable :)

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Purple bruise wrote: In my opinion that is splitting hairs. The point that I was making is that you seemed to be putting a negative spin on the article and or Smith himself.
All I said was: he should have caught that interception. Most good safeties would have.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Eli wrote: All I said was: he should have caught that interception. Most good safeties would have.
That is true if your definition of a good safety is someone that has good hands. My definition of a good safety is one that has good size, speed, intelligence, has good coverage skills, is a sure hard hitting tackler and hopefully doesn't have "bad" hands. If you looked at the video contained in my post he certainly did drop a relatively easy interception but made several other interceptions in his college career. The thing that I noticed about him in college was his sure tackling ability and his monster hits which resulted in many receivers dropping catchable passes (ask Megatron about his hitting abillities he learned first hand).