View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Vikings QB Christian Ponder on the draft: 'This is my team' 
Commissioner

Post Re: Vikings QB Christian Ponder on the draft: 'This is my te
Great signs. Fitz' camps are notoriously difficult. And packing on more muscle can't be a bad thing.

Quote:
Christian Ponder said he's not concerned about Harvin. Just talked to him today about throwing in Florida before training camp. #Vikings

Quote:
Ponder also plans to attend Larry Fitz's workouts at the "U" next month after coming off vacation. Now weighs 233, up from 212 nine wks ago

Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:20 pm
Fenrir

That's a lot of weight to put on in a little more than 2 months. I hope it's good weight, one of Ponder's best attributes is his scrambling ability.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:51 pm
Fenrir

So much for competition:

Quote:
Coach Leslie Frazier clarified this week that Joe Webb will not push Christian Ponder for the starting job this summer.

Frazier suggested the opposite immediately after the season when Webb flashed while filling in for an injured Ponder. "If something were to happen to Christian because of injury, we feel like we have a capable backup in Joe," Frazier said Thursday. "But there's no competition as to, 'Joe has to do this to beat out Christian.' Christian, it's his job."

Source: Fox Sports North

FWIW, I think this is a smart decision. You give your 1st rounder the reps and don't feign a competition that Ponder might not be the starter next year.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:47 pm
Hall of Famer

I don't exactly think that's news. Not on a rebuilding team trying to build a workable offense. They need to have Ponder starting, both to develop him and to determine whether or not he's going to be their QB of the future. If he fails badly, they won't put in Joe Webb. Instead, they'll start making plans to draft another QB.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:59 pm
Fenrir

Eli wrote:
I don't exactly think that's news.

Well up until this point, the Vikings have never said Ponder was the starter. In fact, the Vikings alluded to a training camp competition several times at the end of last season.

Quote:
The Vikings’ 33-26 victory over the Redskins put Minnesota (3-12) out of the running for the No. 1 pick in next year’s draft. That makes it difficult to envision a scenario where the Vikings end up with Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck. So will Ponder be the No. 1 guy next season, or is Webb convincing the Vikings that he has the tools to start full-time? Asked if Webb has earned the right to compete for the starting job, coach Leslie Frazier left the door open. Webb was also 1-1 as a starter last season.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... -of-future

Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:16 pm
Hall of Famer

That was written December 26th. I'm sure it was before Leslie Frazier was told that they were going to completely rebuild the team. The scenario is a lot different today, with no question about what the upcoming season is about. Ponder's growth is a top priority, probably the most important thing that the Vikings need to achieve this year if they want to be competitive in coming years.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:39 pm
Fenrir

Eli wrote:
That was written December 26th. I'm sure it was before Leslie Frazier was told that they were going to completely rebuild the team. The scenario is a lot different today, with no question about what the upcoming season is about. Ponder's growth is a top priority, probably the most important thing that the Vikings need to achieve this year if they want to be competitive in coming years.

They were 3-12 with one game to play when that was written. You honestly believe the coaching staff didn't see a full rebuilding coming at that point?

Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:12 pm
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:
They were 3-12 with one game to play when that was written. You honestly believe the coaching staff didn't see a full rebuilding coming at that point?

At that point Frazier was still part of the 'triangle' and probably was thinking that Joe Webb might compete for the job next year. But it's Rick Spielman's team now and there's no doubt that they've talked extensively about what needs to be accomplished this year with the players that Frazier is given. I don't think he could start Joe Webb if he wanted to.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:30 pm
Fenrir

Spielman is in charge of acquiring personnel but so far as the depth chart is concerned, I've always assumed that was still Frazier's call. Although the quasi-GM role Spielman holds clouds everything.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:09 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

ponder stinks, did anyone think that was the reason percy might have been upset in the first place? maybe he is on the inside and knows what we will all see come this fall, that ponder is not the long term answer at qb.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:33 am
Transition Player

considering harvin had the second most receptions after week 10 in the league behind only roddy white last year, i highly doubt it.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:02 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

mosscarter wrote:
ponder stinks, did anyone think that was the reason percy might have been upset in the first place? maybe he is on the inside and knows what we will all see come this fall, that ponder is not the long term answer at qb.

I highly doubt it. I don't think Ponder has played enough to say the he stinks. Even Peyton Mannings first season was horrific.

AND NO I AM NOT COMPARING HIM TO MANNING.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Defensive Tackle

PurpleMustReign wrote:
mosscarter wrote:

I highly doubt it. I don't think Ponder has played enough to say the he stinks. Even Peyton Mannings first season was horrific.

AND NO I AM NOT COMPARING HIM TO MANNING.

Too late! You said "Manning". You think Ponder is the next Peyton Manning don't you? I'm appalled. ;)

Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:53 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

What I expect from Ponder is a quatum leap from last year. With a full training camp, an improved line and upgraded receivers, the sky is the limit. This kid is a good mobile athelete, who is extemely cerebral and seems to be gifted with some leadership qualities. He appears to be eager to learn and seems to be determined on being successful.
He reminds me of Drew Brees except he is bigger (2 inches taller and 15 lbs. heavier) with the same type of arm strength and enthusiasm.
If he turns out to be the QB that I believe him to be he will be the franchize QB that this team has needed for many many years.

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:14 am
Commissioner

To those questioning if Ponder's weight gain was the right kind of weight...

Quote:
A weighty subject

Christian Ponder has gone from about 212 pounds last March to 233 pounds this summer, but Frazier said he approves of the quarterback's weight gain.

"We were (pleased)," Frazier said. "What he did with his muscle to fat ratio, he put on muscle he didn't put on fat. You're looking at a guy that actually has a lean body mass that's less than it was when he was 215, 220. He's put on the right kind of weight and that's what you want. You want lean muscle and that's what he's done."

Frazier made it clear on the final day of minicamp that Ponder would arrive in Mankato as the Vikings' starting quarterback and that there would be no open competition for the job with either Joe Webb or Sage Rosenfels.

Spielman, of course, also is on board with this.

"I think it's very strong that when you have a young quarterback and you see how he's progressed from day one of OTAs to where he's at right now and how that chemistry on that offense is built," Spielman said, "I think when you give that quarterback that confidence - the confidence that he's showing right now and the confidence that he's built - that, 'You are our guy and we expect you to take over this team and lead this team,' that's the best way we felt to bring the young quarterback along."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Zulg ... tion062512

Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:54 pm
Commissioner

Quote:
Redoing 3 Christian Ponder gms now. Love his athleticism. Legit fast. Arm better than expected. Better intermediate velocity than Matt Ryan. (Lots of BUTs coming.)

Quote:
Ponder almost never challenged deep (teammates fault?). Heavily reliant on checkdowns, Harvin. Some brutal, brutal decisions. Back breakers.
--- A contributing factor of his ack of challenge deep resulted in shotty offensive pass protection. Reliant on Harvin...well...duh. He was the best receiver on the roster by far. Probably not a bad idea to get the ball into his hands. Kind of like saying that Stafford was highly reliant on Calvin Johnson. Decision-making was highly questionable at times.
Quote:
Also thought Ponder played small. Checkdown-reliant scrambler. Jeff Garcia-ish. Eyes not downfield. Think safe to say he has LONG way to go.

Evan Silva on Twitter

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:08 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

dead_poet wrote:
Quote:
Redoing 3 Christian Ponder gms now. Love his athleticism. Legit fast. Arm better than expected. Better intermediate velocity than Matt Ryan. (Lots of BUTs coming.)

Quote:
Ponder almost never challenged deep (teammates fault?). Heavily reliant on checkdowns, Harvin. Some brutal, brutal decisions. Back breakers.
--- A contributing factor of his ack of challenge deep resulted in shotty offensive pass protection. Reliant on Harvin...well...duh. He was the best receiver on the roster by far. Probably not a bad idea to get the ball into his hands. Kind of like saying that Stafford was highly reliant on Calvin Johnson. Decision-making was highly questionable at times.
Quote:
Also thought Ponder played small. Checkdown-reliant scrambler. Jeff Garcia-ish. Eyes not downfield. Think safe to say he has LONG way to go.

Evan Silva on Twitter

What does he mean "redoing 3 Christian Ponder games now"?

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commissioner

PurpleMustReign wrote:

Re-watching three games. He's been doing it for a bunch of players.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:20 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

dead_poet wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:

Re-watching three games. He's been doing it for a bunch of players.

Oh, I thought he was getting his info from mini camp or something.
Well then his analsyses (or whatever) don't really surprise me much, nor does it take a genius to figure them out.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Backup

It is Ponder's time to shine, if he can.

Last year he had a rusty O-line, 1 wr and a rookie TE to throw to. He had no offseason and took second string reps during camp. Not until week 6 did he participate as the starter and begin to establish relationships with teammates. The odds are not so good for your rookie QB being thrown into a locked-out broken season.

This off season has been great. The Vikes have addressed all of these issues (as well as issues on defense). Ponder should feel like this is his team. The vikes have built a team around Ponder this year. This year is a perfect year for Ponder to come out and show us what he has. We have some decent WRs, he will have a much better understanding off the offense, and personally I think Kyle Rudolf is going to go off this year.

The team is Ponders, if he can handle it.

Time will tell, just hope he wins us a few games this year.

Bleed Purple

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:15 am
Commissioner

Post Vikings QB Christian Ponder on the draft: 'This is my team'
Christian Ponder - QB - Vikings
Vikings QBs coach Craig Johnson believes Christian Ponder has advanced "light years" this offseason.

"(A lot) of the problems that you find out as a young player, that's when you get a chance to work on them is usually in the first offseason afterwards," Johnson said. "... The game is starting to slow down. That's what you look for."

Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities Jul 2 - 7:31 PM

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:32 pm
Commissioner

Worth the read.

Re-Watch: Ponder

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/4 ... dhb-gettis

Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:36 pm
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:
Christian Ponder - QB - Vikings
Vikings QBs coach Craig Johnson believes Christian Ponder has advanced "light years" this offseason.

"(A lot) of the problems that you find out as a young player, that's when you get a chance to work on them is usually in the first offseason afterwards," Johnson said. "... The game is starting to slow down. That's what you look for."

Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities Jul 2 - 7:31 PM

While I fully support Ponder, I cannot buy into off season hype. While it is probably true that Ponder has a much better understanding of the offense we really won't be able to tell until the season starts. Still, it is somewhat encouraging to hear reports like this.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:16 pm
Starter

Quote:
(The one "wow" pass I alluded to previously.)

I don't know if it was just the games he watched, or my homerism, but I remember more than just one "wow" throw. IIRC, he was a machine on third down conversions, making something out of nothing more than a few times.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:58 pm
Hall of Famer

I think the biggest factor in Ponder's development is going to be how well he reads things pre-snap and reacts to the various twists and turns defenses throw at him, especially later in the season. The good and great QB's learn to recognize what a defense is doing before the ball is even snapped, so I'll be looking for evidence that Ponder is seeing that and adjusting where he's looking and what he's doing accordingly.

I'd also be interested to know to what degree Musgrave allows Ponder to audible. IIRC, Chilly was a stickler for having the QB run the play as called. However, a sign of trust between the HC/OC and the QB is allowing the QB to change the play or even encouraging him to do it if he sees the call isn't going to work or there is a better play to exploit what the defense is showing. If Musgrave is allowing Ponder to do that, it would demonstrate that Musgrave believes Ponder understands what he's seeing and sufficiently understands the Viking offense in order to make those calls.

We might not know how often Ponder gets to change the play, but I'm hopeful there is some evidence that he is doing that and is successful with it as the season wears on. That would be a really good sign that Ponder is "getting it", and that's the one thing a QB needs to demonstrate to be successful in the NFL.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:59 pm
Fenrir

Quote:
After recently re-watching 2011 game tape, NFL Films guru Greg Cosell found himself "more intrigued" with Christian Ponder's "pure throwing ability."

Rotoworld's Evan Silva separately came to the same conclusion. Both analysts noted better than advertised arm strength, pocket composure, athleticism, and confidence in challenging quality cornerbacks. Cosell believes Ponder's biggest improvement must come as a progression reader after honing in on his primary read regardless of the defense's alignment last year. Silva and Chris Wesseling believe Ponder's intriguing tools lend him top-20 Dynasty value among quarterbacks. There's QB1 potential if he can stay out of the trainers room.

Source: NFL.com

Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:23 pm
Waterboy

:v): we are the most under rated team in the nfl.carlson rudolph simpson harvin childs. we got weapons,ponder need this off season and we will see huge improvement hell have more time to throw with more weapons.Are backfield is improved.gearheart is a beast im not concerned at all with ad being out.gearheart had almost 5 yrd a carry. were healthy. we lost a lot of close games to good teams. we will win the division this year. experts are over paid yuppies. :smilevike: go vikings

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:35 pm
Transition Player

Bigdaddy420 wrote:
:v): we are the most under rated team in the nfl.carlson rudolph simpson harvin childs. we got weapons,ponder need this off season and we will see huge improvement hell have more time to throw with more weapons.Are backfield is improved.gearheart is a beast im not concerned at all with ad being out.gearheart had almost 5 yrd a carry. were healthy. we lost a lot of close games to good teams. we will win the division this year. experts are over paid yuppies. :smilevike: go vikings

Although I hope you are right, they haven't played a down yet, nobody knows if the weapons we have are mass destruction or huge disapointment. I do think Ponder will be much improved this year, but will that be enough?

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:44 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

The reality is that if Ponder can cut his turnovers in half and everything else stays the same we probably win 4 more games than last year.

I'm sure this will get some jeers, but if the defensive backfield can stay healthy we might have the most talented defense in the NFC North. Our DL is on par with Detroit and might even be better, albeit older. Aside from issues at MLB our LB are solid. The question is the secondary, if Cook can get his head straight he is a legit rising star. Winfield is still solid for now. Does Carr pan out? Do our Safeties turn the corner? If yes, then our defense is very strong, you have literally 4 legit pro bowlers on the unit if Cook turns the corner, possibly 5 if Winfield can play like he did during the first half of last year before getting hurt. Things could certainly go the other way, but the potential is there.

Injuries and Ponder are the question. If we stay healthy and Ponder improves then we might be back on track. If not, well...

Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:32 am
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:
I'm sure this will get some jeers, but if the defensive backfield can stay healthy we might have the most talented defense in the NFC North.

I don't think health is the main issue in the secondary, although injuries certainly won't help.

At cornerback, Winfield is 102 years old, and may only play part time covering the slot receiver. Chris Cook shows talent, but hasn't put together anything even close to a full season. Josh Robinson is something of a crap shoot, and if he starts opposite Cook, would put two rookies in the secondary.

At safety, Harrison Smith is a rookie and totally untested in the NFL. The second starting safety position will bring back one of the bumblies from last year, probably Jamarca Sanford, unless rookie Robert Blanton is a very fast learner and can make the transition from cornerback to safety sometime this season. Which would put three rookies in the secondary.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next