View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Vikings QB Christian Ponder on the draft: 'This is my team' 
Defensive Tackle

Post Vikings QB Christian Ponder on the draft: 'This is my team'
Here's a link to an encouraging article about Ponder:

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_20 ... ian-ponder

Quote:
Imposing his will on the quarterback job as a rookie was difficult, Ponder said, because he wasn't yet established. Though the Vikings still have a strong veteran presence in the locker room, Ponder now tries to make his presence felt, even with subtle gestures such as organizing extra throwing sessions.

"We throw every day," Ponder said. "Even on off days, I make myself available if guys want to come in and get extra work. Today we're doing film, then we work out in the weight room and do our running, and we all throw afterwards. Everyone's out there. Once the new guys get here, they'll be a part of it, too."

Throwing to Simpson is one of Ponder's favorite parts of the day. Apparently Simpson, who had 50 catches for 725 yards last season for Cincinnati but will serve a three-game suspension after pleading guilty to a felony drug charge, gets underneath everything Ponder throws.

"I was throwing post routes and trying to overthrow him and I couldn't," Ponder said. "The guy is so fast. He's so athletic. I think he's going to be a great asset to our X position. And he's a great guy. I've been hanging out with him. He's real down to earth and so athletic."

Fri May 04, 2012 5:26 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post Re: Vikings QB Christian Ponder on the draft: 'This is my te
At the end of the day it is all about what he does on the field, but you just have to like the way this guy handles himself. In some ways he reminds me of Steve Young. Good stuff.

Fri May 04, 2012 8:26 am
Commissioner

I have hopes that Ponder will improve greatly and become a winner for the Vikings. But I guess I'm concerned about the OL, even with the addition of Kalil. Will it be ready to improve next season or is it still a work in progress that needs another season or two before it clicks?

Anyway, back to the article, I'm intrigued by Ponder's comments about Simpson's speed. Add Harvin and Wright to the mix and the Vikings now have some ultra fast WRs for Ponder. With Harvin and Wright, they don't always have to go deep either. Both those guys are capable of turning a 5 yard catch into a 50 yard gain, if the Vikings are willing to do more slants and quick hit passing.

Fri May 04, 2012 9:12 am
Defensive Tackle

mansquatch wrote:
At the end of the day it is all about what he does on the field, but you just have to like the way this guy handles himself. In some ways he reminds me of Steve Young. Good stuff.

As you said, it's all about what he does on the field but I find it very reassuring that he's throwing every day and encouraging his receivers to work with him. That's an opportunity he didn't have last offseason and If he can use the spring and summer to develop some chemistry with his targets, that could really help him take a step forward. I still expect to see growing pains but I think he's capable of throwing 25 TDs this season. If he can do that and keep the INTs to half that number or less, that will be a great sign for the future!

We'll see...

Fri May 04, 2012 9:14 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

He's definitely doing and saying all the right things. I think last year he answered any questions about his arm strength and now he's answering any questions about his leadership and work ethic, though I never really think they were in question. Now he just has to put it all together. His problem last year was reading defenses and leaving the pocket too soon. I think improved line play will help him with the latter and hopefully film study, good coaching and an upgraded WR Corps will help him with the first. I think he has all the makings to be a "franchise" QB though I doubt he'll ever be a Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady type QB, I don't see why he can't be a Matt Ryan type QB.

Fri May 04, 2012 9:36 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Tom Brady may have won the SB in 2001, but he wasn't the QB he is today in 2001. We just do not know if Ponder can or cannot be that great. HE needs time to show he can achieve that level. This is different than TJack who has been in the league for what 5 years? We know what his ceiling is. We do not yet know Ponders.

I recall last year when there was a lapse in the lockout for 24 hours and Ponder took the opportunity to get the playbook from Musgrave. (still in its infancy) He then tried to get guys together on their own to work with him on the offense. So seeing it now in a formal setting isn't surpsing. What is most impressive is that he is doing this on his own, a sign of a true leader.

Many questions still to be answered, but as has been said, he is doing and saying all the right things.

Fri May 04, 2012 10:00 am
Strong Safety

reminds me of Manning when him and his wide out harrison would go to other games on their bye week to figure
out what they could do better....

I love hard workers ..

I have always thought steve young too.. if he anywhere close to steve young I would be thrilled

Fri May 04, 2012 12:29 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Reminds of Young in a few respects: Brains, Work Effort, Mobility, and competitiveness. Whether he can produce the results remains the be seen.

Fri May 04, 2012 12:59 pm
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:
I still expect to see growing pains but I think he's capable of throwing 25 TDs this season. If he can do that and keep the INTs to half that number or less, that will be a great sign for the future!

We'll see...

I think if Ponder hits the 25-12 ratio the Vikes would be in contention for a wildcard.

For me, a lot of that final ratio is going to come down to how effective the TE's are in Musgrave's offense. The Vikings appear to have 2 TE's who can be very effective in the passing game, especially inside the red zone. But for Ponder to approach 25-12 he's going to have to turn that potential into reality. If he were to maximize that potential and find some contributors on the outside as well, I'd put his TD potential between 30-35. Of course, if he doesn't nix the INT's that doesn't mean much.

I'd say Ponder is likely to throw between 20-25 TDs, but I'm expecting a few more INT's, somewhere between 15-20. That should be good enough to land the Vikes between 6-7 wins.

Fri May 04, 2012 3:07 pm
Hall of Famer

It's easy to cheer for Ponder and I hope, for the Vikings and his sake, that he makes strides this season. Will be interesting to watch and see!!

Fri May 04, 2012 3:45 pm
Hall of Famer

Well Ponder has my support. I feel that he will be much improved this season.

Fri May 04, 2012 8:18 pm
Transition Player

Heh. The thread title reads "'This is my te" in the replies, which would be a lot less inclusive.

Sat May 05, 2012 4:27 am
Hall of Famer

wished the vikings would have picked up someone like garrard or jason campbell who would have pushed ponder more. :confused:
maybe this full training camp for him will be fantastic.

Sun May 06, 2012 1:05 pm
Defensive Tackle

VikingLord wrote:
Mothman wrote:
I still expect to see growing pains but I think he's capable of throwing 25 TDs this season. If he can do that and keep the INTs to half that number or less, that will be a great sign for the future!

We'll see...

I think if Ponder hits the 25-12 ratio the Vikes would be in contention for a wildcard.

For me, a lot of that final ratio is going to come down to how effective the TE's are in Musgrave's offense. The Vikings appear to have 2 TE's who can be very effective in the passing game, especially inside the red zone. But for Ponder to approach 25-12 he's going to have to turn that potential into reality. If he were to maximize that potential and find some contributors on the outside as well, I'd put his TD potential between 30-35. Of course, if he doesn't nix the INT's that doesn't mean much.

I'd say Ponder is likely to throw between 20-25 TDs, but I'm expecting a few more INT's, somewhere between 15-20. That should be good enough to land the Vikes between 6-7 wins.

That sounds like a reasonable expectation. I'll be a little surprised if he can hit that 25-12 ratio in his second season.

Mon May 07, 2012 7:59 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Why would you want Campbell or Gerrard over Joe Webb?

Both are veterans and will cost a lot more than Webb. Also, don't we have Rosenfels for the "aging Veteran Backup" slot?

Seems silly to me.

Tue May 08, 2012 12:28 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

I am a Ponder fan and I believe that he will do extremely well this year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hj3SwKz ... r_embedded

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.

Thu May 24, 2012 5:54 pm
Strong Safety

Sage is a good back up that will be a lot more of a team player than some other guys .. who really want to start

Sat May 26, 2012 6:07 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Purple bruise wrote:

There's a couple of things that I took from this video

1. Ponder is extremely athletic, much more than anyone probably gave him credit for coming out of college.
2. Ponder relies too much on his athletic ability. Instead of being patient, he knows in the back of his mind that he can take off and run if his 1st read isn't there which I think hurts his ability to progress through his reads.
3. When screen passes are a part of a quarterback's highlight film, there's a problem.
4. Most of Ponder's best throws came on designed bootlegs. While being accurate on the run is a positive, he needs to get better in the pocket.
5. Rudolph may not be a deep threat, but his hands and jumping ability are as good if not better than Sidney Rice's. If they don't get him more involved in the redzone and short yardage situations there's a problem.

All in all I think Ponder has the ability to be good. He just needs to work on being a QB more so than an athlete.

Sat May 26, 2012 12:28 pm
Hall of Famer

MrPurplenGold wrote:
Purple bruise wrote:

There's a couple of things that I took from this video

1. Ponder is extremely athletic, much more than anyone probably gave him credit for coming out of college.
2. Ponder relies too much on his athletic ability. Instead of being patient, he knows in the back of his mind that he can take off and run if his 1st read isn't there which I think hurts his ability to progress through his reads.
3. When screen passes are a part of a quarterback's highlight film, there's a problem.
4. Most of Ponder's best throws came on designed bootlegs. While being accurate on the run is a positive, he needs to get better in the pocket.
5. Rudolph may not be a deep threat, but his hands and jumping ability are as good if not better than Sidney Rice's. If they don't get him more involved in the redzone and short yardage situations there's a problem.

All in all I think Ponder has the ability to be good. He just needs to work on being a QB more so than an athlete.

I think Rudolph has a very good year for us this season. I just hope he is involved in the red zone immensely like you mentioned. I don't want another 2007-2008 Sidney Rice situation. Man, I don't how many times I was begging for Childress to put Sidney Rice in red zone situations in those early years.

Sat May 26, 2012 1:09 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Ponder was less then stellar his freshmen seasons in both highschool and college. Then lit it up in both sophomore years. I'm confident we'll see a completely different Quarterback this year, one with some protection, a few new targets, and playing for a team that's main story isn't 'they're moving to Los Angeles'. It's a new beginning for this team, and I'm as pumped as I was when I found out Favre was coming to town.
:smilevike:

Sat May 26, 2012 2:05 pm
Fenrir

MrPurplenGold wrote:

This is pretty common for most rookie QB's, he should be able to work on this. He has showed some poise in the pocket but the line last year didn't help him much. Ponder's vision is what concerns me most.

Sun May 27, 2012 3:27 pm
Hall of Famer

Vision and poise in the pocket go hand in hand. There's little question in my mind that Ponder will improve as he get more experience. The biggest question in my mind is how much better? Is he capable of becoming an elite QB? Is he capable of just becoming a decent NFL starter? Let's all hope so, because if not, the Vikings could find themselves back to fishing for a QB in two or three years, and those two or three years won't be fun.

Sun May 27, 2012 3:34 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Ponder still reminds me today of the player I thought he was like when he was drafted: Rich Gannon. The only difference between them was that Gannon was basically a wildcat quarterback that played in that type of offense in college (but he knew how to play quarterback well, as his fairly long career proved otherwise). Ponder played in a pro offense, so he's picked things up better. But as far as their scrambling and passing abilities? Dead on. They even have almost the same body type (Ponder's a little stouter). Gannon was more intense and a harder worker, Ponder seems more cerebral and a little less intense. Still a little afraid to call Ponder Young-like at this point, after last season. I understand the whole thing about Payton Manning's first few seasons being rough, but I have to say that Ponder had more to work with last year than Manning had in 98/99 and did less with it.

My comparison with Gannon in no way is intended to diminish Ponder or anything. I've always felt that Rich Gannon was one of the most underrated quarterbacks in the NFL. Even back when there was a quarterback controversy between Tommy Kramer and Wade Wilson, his teammates would grumble that Gannon was better than both of them. Took Rich almost 10 years to convince coaches (that weren't Minnesota coaches) that he was a starting quarterback. Statistically, Gannon's first season was right on par with Christian's, too (if you project Ponder out to 16 games).

That said, Steve Young's first few years (in Tampa) were bad. Look up the stats. You look at those, and all you can do is scratch your head and say "what did he do to turn THAT around?" His first two years he was throwing way more interceptions than touchdowns. His completion percentage was sub-54% (which is where Ponder's was last year). And then you notice what happened... he went to the Niners (with all those old guys who were guaranteed HOF'ers...vs. Tampa in the mid-80's). Personnel really does make a quarterback great.

Sun May 27, 2012 8:08 pm
Profile ICQ
Hall of Fame Candidate

Man I like Ponder's attitude, he will be a very good QB.

http://www.kfan.com/player/?station=KFX ... d=22168579

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:10 pm
Commissioner

Quote:
Vikings name Christian Ponder their Vikings Children's Fund Rookie of the Year for 2011. Honored for representing himself well on+off field.

Dan Wiederer on Twitter

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:42 pm
Commissioner

Jaws QB Countdown: Christian Ponder

Quote:
Some of you have noticed that ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski is conducting a 30-part review of the NFL's top quarterbacks, a production that should generate considerable interest in this division as we approach the top 10. The NFC North portion kicked off, however, with the Minnesota Vikings' Christian Ponder checking in at No. 28.

(Tim Tebow was No. 30 and Blaine Gabbert was No. 29, for those interested.)

Some excerpts from the guru:

Quote:
"Ponder has many of the attributes I look for when I evaluate quarterbacks. I saw pocket movement, the ability to move within the pocket, maintain downfield focus and deliver the football with accuracy. I also saw the added dimension of getting outside the pocket in response to pressure with the speed to create an explosive gain. And how about this for a rookie quarterback: Ponder’s rating was 114, the NFL’s best inside the 20. His movement was also a big factor, as was his willingness to make stick throws into those small windows, a necessity in the tight red zone area. …

As he begins his second season, Ponder needs work as a progression reader. He had a tendency to predetermine some throws, and, in addition, there were too many times he did not recognize the coverage."

Full blog post: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... ian-ponder

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:36 am
Commissioner

Fun/promising stat for Harvin:

Quote:
After Ponder took over, #Vikings WR Percy Harvin closed out 2011 with 723 offensive yards & 7 TDs in last 7 games. 1,653-yard, 16-TD pace.

Evan Silva on Twitter

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:37 am
Commissioner

Quote:
After Ponder took over, #Vikings WR Percy Harvin closed out 2011 with 723 offensive yards & 7 TDs in last 7 games. 1,653-yard, 16-TD pace.

Evan Silva on Twitter

Quote:
Wes Welker is generally considered NFL's best slot receiver, but he's not. It's Percy Harvin. I'd wager #Patriots would take Harvin, too.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:38 am
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:

Quote:

Evan Silva on Twitter

That bodes well for the future!! I am really looking forward to seeing the offense progress with a full off-season to be implemented. If Ponder can start reading coverages better, I think we'll see a dangerously good passing game.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:15 pm
Hall of Famer

love ponder when he's out of the pocket. should be interesting with a full training camp and better protection and wr's. shouldnt have to score 30 points either to win, defense should be improved. he has pretty could pocket awareness and presence for a rookie. :thumbsup:

Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next