Have the Vikings Improved their Depth Chart?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Have the Vikings Improved their Depth Chart?

Post by GoldenBear91 »

Eli wrote: Charlie Johnson is a giant question mark. One thing that everybody appears afraid to consider is that Charlie Johnson may not be a very good guard. From what I understand, he only really started guard at Indianapolis in 2008, and didn't exactly impress anyone. He moved to left tackle the following year.

Taking a lineman that plays tackle poorly and moving him to guard is no guarantee that he'll be a decent guard. I hope it works out, but I don't expect a miracle.
Very good points. I agree.

The only hope I have is that usually a guard position doesn't demand as much athletic ability (quickness, footwork). And you don't face the NFL stud pass rushers. Lets hope for the best...
GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by GoldenBear91 »

mefford76 wrote:We got a lot younger. I am not sure if that classifies as better. This team is going to stink this season, but it will be fun to watch all the young guys and see how they do. We should play from behind quiet a bit so it should be fun to watch them air it out. At least we're not starting McNabb this season.
Fun to watch Ponder air it out to Harvin and that other guy, and those guys from Arkanasassy, and some other free agents... :confused:

Hopefully it will work out but I the VIKES are young and also lacking talent. Right now everybody has potential but in November we will not talk about the fun of watching these guys flounder.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

I think we've improved talent wise, I don't think our depth is all that different. A bit better in the secondary, but we're still pretty thin in other places.
diehardtwinsfan
Practice Squad

Post by diehardtwinsfan »

I would hope at this point that depth is improved... if not, we are in trouble... that secondary was aweful, and given how many games we lost that were close, I think the Vikes could surprise a bit with some significant improvement in the secondary.

As for Ponder, I never understood why teams go all out and draft the sexy quarterback when their line is full of holes. That is a recipie for failure as the QB is out after only a few years. How many top picks turned into busts b/c they couldn't stay healthy? Far too many. For every Matt Stafford who finally puts things together, there's 2 Tim Couches... Drafting Kalil and moving Johnson inside should improve play at 2 positions and hopefully reduce the amount of pounding Ponder takes, and as he develops and gets more comfortable, he should be able to handle pressure better when it doesn't happen as much. I do expect improvement from our guy here.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Not that depth wasn't an issue but the Vikings were down to 3rd stringers in the secondary during a lot of games. How good is 3rd string on most teams?
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

mansquatch wrote:I actually think the secondary will be much better than 2011. Towards the horrible end of last year we also lost our 2nd stringers to injuvry. They only starter who played the majority of the season back there was Cedric Griffen, and we all saw how well that panned out.

Depth here is still an issue. Safety is still a massive question mark, albeit a better one than it was last year. If Smith can be a year one contributor that will be huge. However, past him things get dicey. Sanford has experience, but has shown to be just not that good. Raymond has shown potential, but is he fully developed? Past those two, we have guys that for the most part just are not ready.

IMO the short term difference between the 2012 draft being average and good to great will be how Harrison Smith pans out. Time will tell.

CB isn't as bad. Winfield and Cook are both solid. Allen is a respectable backup/nickel guy. Sapp is capable of playing coverage. Past that it gets uglier, but by then you are to the 5th guy on the depth chart. That isn't awful depth IMO.

I think the story in 2012 is going to be defined more by the offense than the defense anyways. If the seconardy can stay healthy and our DL can continue to be as great as it has been, then our defense will be decent. The question is if the Offense can score some points, keep them off the field, and not commit costly turnovers. Of course, that all points to Ponder.
You are right about the season, as our success is contingent on Christian Ponder. I know I was angry at him at times last year, but I am still behind him 100%. In fact, I ordered both a Matt Kalil and Christian Ponder Nike Jersey. Pathetic, i know, but I couldn't help myself! :)
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

This could turn out to be an excellent draft. It looks like at least four or five of the picks will be starters with a dark horse (Audie Cole) who is really turning heads. Kalil, Smith, Walsh all have down the road Pro Bowl potential. It is only matter of time before Josh Robinson (with all of his speed) settles into a nickle back, punt returner or maybe even a starting CB. Too bad about Childs he had such great potential. Great job Spielman :rock:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Purple bruise wrote:Kalil, Smith, Walsh all have down the road Pro Bowl potential.
Whoa there, slow down a little. You've seen these guys play in a couple preseason games and they're already future pro bowlers in your eyes? I'm all for optimism and hope these guys really do turn into great players, but c'mon now. :?
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

we have improved but we still have a lot of work to do..

Our RUN defense has been extremely tested in preseason

Our linebackers are not a solid group ...

we could at least one wide out that can wreak havoc ..

I am happy so far but the team was one of the worst last year without a doubt
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!