View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:23 am



Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 How do you feel about Ponder as our QB? 

How do you feel about Christian Ponder as our QB
Excited. You are familiar with Ponder so you feel good about him. 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Excited. You don't know him that well but think he might have that "something" and/or you trust Spielman's track record in the 1st round. 15%  15%  [ 11 ]
Good. You don't know a lot, but feel Musgrave and Frazier will mold him into a top guy. 21%  21%  [ 15 ]
Lukewarm. You are familiar with Ponder so feel things could go either way. 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Completely neutral and without judgment. Are able to emotionally detach yourself from the most important position on our team. 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Lukewarm. The more you find out makes you less and less excited about his play and durability. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Inconsequential. Injuries, circumstance, free agency, or the play of Webb will keep Ponder's playing time minimal so he'll never become our "guy" anyway. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Disappointed. Wished we picked somebody else and need time to get over it. 15%  15%  [ 11 ]
Upset. Feel things won't work out with Ponder and it'll take several seasons before we finally move on to someone else. 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 73

 How do you feel about Ponder as our QB? 
Author Message
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:13 am
Posts: 7196
Location: Ft Walton Beach, Florida
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
purple guy wrote:
Laserman wrote:
purple guy wrote:
Im excited. Was it a reach??? Supposedly. Who cares. We need a QB. I have no idea if he'll work out, but at least its a viable option at QB for once. Those who "know" he is going to be a bust should really be working as a scout for an NFL team since they are such great and accurate talent evaluaters.



wow, Purple Guy and I agree. Instead of #### about the Pick now why not wait for a few games. Who else where we gonna Take at QB? Mallett maybe. I knew we were going QB no matter what because this team needed to do this 2-3 ago. Deal with it




Deal with it???? I said I liked the pick?


I was agreeing with you Man. I was asking OTHERS to have paitience with the pick.


Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:37 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:53 pm
Posts: 7158
Location: bakersfield california
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
ponder has a high IQ and is pretty mobile. i dont think he will be a superstar but he may be a mark brunnell, rich gannon type qb. musgrave develops qb's amd has qb friendly system. i wish we would have gotten him in the 2nd round, but maybe we can get a veteran qb to help out. :confused: we can still get a corner or pass rusher in free agency.


Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:49 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:53 pm
Posts: 7158
Location: bakersfield california
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
cam newton, gabbert, and mallett were the highest rated qb's in the draft. ponder, and dalton were the second tier qb's. some like dalton better than ponder and some like ponder better than dalton. locker was also rated a second round qb my most people. ponder is a good qb, not a first rounder however, but he may end up being a pretty decent qb. one or two of the qb's should be something special.......no one really knows who. :confused: i dont trust cam newton at all. there is something i dont like about him, and he also doesnt seem very intelligent IMO.


Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:00 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:37 pm
Posts: 3006
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
BGM wrote:
It would have made sense in the second round, considering the talent pool in this year's draft. Had there been three QBs who were far and away the pick of the litter and then a bunch of dregs aside from that, then sure, you have to pull the trigger. But, I did not feel that way about this group. For me, Locker was the best prospect, then close behind him the group of Gabbert, Kaepernick, Mallett, Dalton, and Ponder. One of those last five was sure to make it to pick 43, IMO. Any of those guys at 43 would have made sense to me. Ponder at 12 does not.

You make a good point here, Brian. I am excited for Ponder mainly because it is a new direction and a pick at a position of dire need early and with conviction by team leadership. But I do have wonderment in the back of my head of why Ponder was the "choice" at #12 when McCoy lasted until #85 last year. I don't study college football, but I don't see the upside of a Ponder when you compare it to a McCoy in terms of one being 73 picks better in terms of value. At the same time, I am certain he will lead the Vikings to the Super Bowl in 2012 and start the parade into the new stadium in 2015.


Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:37 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:53 pm
Posts: 7158
Location: bakersfield california
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
the vikings got scared that ponder wouldnt be there in the second round. musgrave also must have felt that ponder is a student of the game and can be developed like he did with matt ryan and matt schaub.


Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:54 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:31 am
Posts: 1981
Location: Arizona
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
I like the pick a lot. Ponder seems like the polar opposite of Jamarcus Russell to me: not the biggest arm in the world but he's accurate, athletic, smart, and he's got an unbelievable work ethic. I just can't imagine someone who works and studies as hard as Ponder does being a bust.


Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:52 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:53 pm
Posts: 7158
Location: bakersfield california
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
ponder wont be a bust. he's smart and has a good work ethic unlike ryan leaf, akili smith, and jamarcus russell. cant say the same about cam newton.


Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:01 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:35 am
Posts: 3515
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
BGM wrote:
Mothman wrote:
BGM wrote:
The more I consider the Vikings picking up Ponder at #12, the more upset I become. Yes, maybe Ponder ends up being the guy. However, the argument that he has as good a chance as any other QB in the draft just doesn't wash with me. It makes little sense to take a shot at a "crap shoot" position like QB, when there were two or three amazing players who would have made an immediate and positive impact at other positions of need for the Vikings.


I understand your concerns but couldn't the same thing be said every year? It's always going to be a crap shoot, at QB and every other position. Like you said, no one is a sure thing but as Kevin Siefert is fond of pointing out, you can't hit a home run at QB if you never take a swing. If that swing is a miss they'll just have to swing again.

I guess what I'm saying is: if it didn't make sense to take a QB this year, when would it ever make sense?

Jim


It would have made sense in the second round, considering the talent pool in this year's draft. Had there been three QBs who were far and away the pick of the litter and then a bunch of dregs aside from that, then sure, you have to pull the trigger. But, I did not feel that way about this group. For me, Locker was the best prospect, then close behind him the group of Gabbert, Kaepernick, Mallett, Dalton, and Ponder. One of those last five was sure to make it to pick 43, IMO. Any of those guys at 43 would have made sense to me. Ponder at 12 does not.

Obviously, my views on these guys do not line up with the Vikings' assessments, so I should have some faith in their choice. It just pained me to see some really top notch talent fall to other teams because the Vikings had a laser focus on QB.


I respect your point of view BGM, however I have a much lower opinion of Dalton, Kaepernick (major longshot), Mallett, etc. I really believe we got the best qb in the draft with the 12th pick. I give Newton and Locker very low chances for success. Ponder is the guy in my opinion.


Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:22 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
BGM wrote:
It would have made sense in the second round, considering the talent pool in this year's draft. Had there been three QBs who were far and away the pick of the litter and then a bunch of dregs aside from that, then sure, you have to pull the trigger. But, I did not feel that way about this group. For me, Locker was the best prospect, then close behind him the group of Gabbert, Kaepernick, Mallett, Dalton, and Ponder. One of those last five was sure to make it to pick 43, IMO. Any of those guys at 43 would have made sense to me. Ponder at 12 does not.


In the end, Mallett was the only who made it that far and clearly, that was due to questions about his character. Maybe he'll turn out to be a good NFL QB (he certainly landed in a good spot) but I think we can understand why the Vikings weren't willing to commit to a player like that as their QB of the future. The way the draft played out illustrates that he would have been the only one of those QBs still available at #43. I also don't know why a team would settle for what they consider a lesser QB if they feel they can get a better one. After all, we're talking about the most important position on the team. If a team feels they've identified the player that's right for them at that position, I think its more than acceptable to grab him, and forget about draft value.

Quote:
Obviously, my views on these guys do not line up with the Vikings' assessments, so I should have some faith in their choice. It just pained me to see some really top notch talent fall to other teams because the Vikings had a laser focus on QB.


Understandable. It pained me too but I think past moves put them in a desperate situation and they had no choice. They had to come out of this draft with the best QB they could get and I think they tried to do that. We all know the nature of the draft anyway: a couple of those players it pained so many to see the Vikings pass o up could easily be busts. ;) It happens all the time.

Jim


Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:01 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 11:39 am
Posts: 5948
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
One other thing concerns me about betting the farm on Ponder THIS year. The lockout. Maybe he will be the guy, and, truly, now that he has been drafted, I hope he is. But there is going to be a tremendous amount of development time lost due to this god-forsaken lockout. And, that is a tough position into which to throw any new player, much less the guy upon whom you are pegging the hopes of the future of the franchise. So, what my hope is: the coaches saw real potential and a complete package in Ponder that they just could NOT pass up, no matter who else was available. What my fear is: due to years of ignoring the future of the QB position, the Vikings decided to make a selection out of even a small sense of desperation that it was now or never.

_________________
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa


Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:04 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
BGM wrote:
One other thing concerns me about betting the farm on Ponder THIS year. The lockout. Maybe he will be the guy, and, truly, now that he has been drafted, I hope he is. But there is going to be a tremendous amount of development time lost due to this god-forsaken lockout. And, that is a tough position into which to throw any new player, much less the guy upon whom you are pegging the hopes of the future of the franchise. So, what my hope is: the coaches saw real potential and a complete package in Ponder that they just could NOT pass up, no matter who else was available. What my fear is: due to years of ignoring the future of the QB position, the Vikings decided to make a selection out of even a small sense of desperation that it was now or never.


I think it may be a little of both.

The lockout and the inability to look for veteran help before the draft were almost certainly big contributing factors to this pick but, for the very reasons you stated above, I think we can expect to see the Vikings pursue a veteran QB hard once they're able to do so.

Jim


Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:26 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:02 pm
Posts: 2149
Location: montrose,MN
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
well ponder will do ok....but we need better than ok...lets think about if he starts who will he be throwing to?? will rice be back...will percy have a migrain...our offense is really up in the air now...?? at least he can handoff to ap.

_________________
Image
Image


Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:59 pm
Profile YIM
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:33 pm
Posts: 559
Location: Newark, Illinois
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
I want to at least give props to the Vikings for taking a swing at a QB in the first round. I would have been ticked if they didn't try to get someone. I have been harping on the need ever since Brett came to town. It was a need that could not be ignored. No matter what we are going to give the Vikes crap, especially since most of our analysis can be from the luxury of hindsight being 20/20.

I am very underwhelmed with the pick of Ponder, as many are, but that being said I won't really know what to say until 2014. I will say that Webb is more exciting in my mind, but again it will just be time. May the best QB win and help the Vikings win! :v):


Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:07 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:33 pm
Posts: 559
Location: Newark, Illinois
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
OJVIKE wrote:
well ponder will do ok....but we need better than ok...lets think about if he starts who will he be throwing to?? will rice be back...will percy have a migrain...our offense is really up in the air now...?? at least he can handoff to ap.

Trent Dilfer = ok and a superbowl.


Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:09 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:28 am
Posts: 1915
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
hibbingviking wrote:
ponder has a high IQ and is pretty mobile. i dont think he will be a superstar but he may be a mark brunnell, rich gannon type qb. musgrave develops qb's amd has qb friendly system. i wish we would have gotten him in the 2nd round, but maybe we can get a veteran qb to help out. :confused: we can still get a corner or pass rusher in free agency.


Keep in mind, Gannon won the NFL MVP in 2002, that's about as super star as you can get in the NFL. Maybe being a media darling helped that some, but scrubs don't win MVP.

_________________
This space available for rent.


Last edited by PurpleHalo on Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:41 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:02 pm
Posts: 2149
Location: montrose,MN
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
GoldenBear91 wrote:
OJVIKE wrote:
well ponder will do ok....but we need better than ok...lets think about if he starts who will he be throwing to?? will rice be back...will percy have a migrain...our offense is really up in the air now...?? at least he can handoff to ap.

Trent Dilfer = ok and a superbowl.

won by the defense.

_________________
Image
Image


Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:42 pm
Profile YIM
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:53 pm
Posts: 7158
Location: bakersfield california
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
ponder has all the tools. mobile, smart, accurate, good decison maker. i'm a little happy we didnt get another statue like mallet behind center. dalton seems like he doesnt panic as much in the pocket when things break down and in the 4th quarter like ponder tends to do..... but overall i like what ponder brings more.


Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:02 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:28 am
Posts: 1915
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
hibbingviking wrote:
ponder has all the tools. mobile, smart, accurate, good decison maker. i'm a little happy we didnt get another statue like mallet behind center. dalton seems like he doesnt panic as much in the pocket when things break down and in the 4th quarter like ponder tends to do..... but overall i like what ponder brings more.


Pocket issues can be repaired, my biggest concern, that arm, will it be an ongoing issue.

_________________
This space available for rent.


Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:31 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:53 pm
Posts: 7158
Location: bakersfield california
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
PurpleHalo wrote:
hibbingviking wrote:
ponder has all the tools. mobile, smart, accurate, good decison maker. i'm a little happy we didnt get another statue like mallet behind center. dalton seems like he doesnt panic as much in the pocket when things break down and in the 4th quarter like ponder tends to do..... but overall i like what ponder brings more.


Pocket issues can be repaired, my biggest concern, that arm, will it be an ongoing issue.


arm strength can be improved. tom bradys arm strength is better than what it was when he was a rookie. dalton doesnt have a cannon either. neither did drew brees, or brad johnson and they won superbowls. rich gannon didnt either.


Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:36 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:53 pm
Posts: 7158
Location: bakersfield california
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
Turtle Burger wrote:
I like the pick a lot. Ponder seems like the polar opposite of Jamarcus Russell to me: not the biggest arm in the world but he's accurate, athletic, smart, and he's got an unbelievable work ethic. I just can't imagine someone who works and studies as hard as Ponder does being a bust.


i'm kind of glad we didnt mortgage our future with kevin kolb. kolb hasnt done anything spectacular.
i feel more sure about ponder than cam newton. cam newton better be more productive than clausen in preseason. i have a feeling that newton is more interested in endorsemants and reality shows. :confused:


Sun May 01, 2011 12:42 am
Profile
Franchise Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:53 pm
Posts: 420
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
Sooooo..... much speculation! The truth is we don't know how he will be.
If he is successful those who said he would be good can say "I told you so!"
If he is a bust then those who said so can say "I told you so and Spielman needs to be fired!"

I like him because of what I have heard about his habits and intelligence. I could care less about rocket arms. Too many qbs have been chose because of those rocket arms only to turn out to be a bust. What makes a good QB is not how far or hard he can throw. His ability to read defenses, his work ethic and leadership and accuracy are what makes a good qb. Does Ponder have all of that? Apparently on paper. Whether or not that translates to the field remains to be seen. I for one am jacked!
Solely because we actually got someone who has REAL potential and not someone who is a "project" that might be someday with a lot of coaching could possibly be maybe a good quarterback.


Sun May 01, 2011 4:51 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:28 am
Posts: 1915
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
hibbingviking wrote:
PurpleHalo wrote:
hibbingviking wrote:
ponder has all the tools. mobile, smart, accurate, good decison maker. i'm a little happy we didnt get another statue like mallet behind center. dalton seems like he doesnt panic as much in the pocket when things break down and in the 4th quarter like ponder tends to do..... but overall i like what ponder brings more.


Pocket issues can be repaired, my biggest concern, that arm, will it be an ongoing issue.


arm strength can be improved. tom bradys arm strength is better than what it was when he was a rookie. dalton doesnt have a cannon either. neither did drew brees, or brad johnson and they won superbowls. rich gannon didnt either.


No I meant the injury, when he's healthy he has more arm strength than people give him credit for.

_________________
This space available for rent.


Sun May 01, 2011 7:31 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:53 pm
Posts: 7158
Location: bakersfield california
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
ponder supposedly has a stronger arm than andy dalton when healthy. :confused: this 2-3 months off may be exactly what he needs to get healthy and strong.


Sun May 01, 2011 3:58 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:47 pm
Posts: 1250
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
The only knock on his arm strength is that he didn't have ELITE arm strength. He has what we all have wanted for years. Intelligence, Leadership (the most important trait) Good athleticism and accuracy, how could there be a better pick for our "system" Which we don't even know what it is yet with the whole new coaching staff. All those panicking are being silly.

_________________
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945


Sun May 01, 2011 4:05 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:53 pm
Posts: 7158
Location: bakersfield california
Post Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?
dkoby wrote:
The only knock on his arm strength is that he didn't have ELITE arm strength. He has what we all have wanted for years. Intelligence, Leadership (the most important trait) Good athleticism and accuracy, how could there be a better pick for our "system" Which we don't even know what it is yet with the whole new coaching staff. All those panicking are being silly.



:thumbsup:

we havent had a smart, accurate, mobile, young, qb in a long time. he will have tons of time to study that playbook before the season starts. he reminds me of a more mobile brad johnson.


Sun May 01, 2011 4:10 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.