Stadium thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Laserman
Hall of Famer

Re: Stadium thread

Post by Laserman »

When the vikings were outside in the 70s they were dominating, tons of playoff appearances with a trememdous HF advantage. Since the move indoors, not so much. Are fans more concerned with their comfort at games or their team being a winner? It's a struggle, Not sure if this southern man could sit outside in the freezing cold either. the Bears, Giants, Jets, Bills, Packers, Pats, eagles fans do it. If the Championship game with the Saints were outdoors in Minnesota, might have been a different outcome. AP Running outdoors at home in the playoffs would be tough to stop all day.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Valhalla wrote:I think the oldest continuously run team in the NFL is actually the Cardinals of all things.
The Cardinals and Bears are original AFPA (became NFL in 1922) franchises from 1920. The Cardinals in Chicago, Bears in Decatur (central IL) named the Staleys. In 1921, They moved to Chicago and in 1922 changed the name to Bears. Packers were founded in 1919 and joined the AFPA in 1921.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Please stop with these comparisons to other cities. With the exception of Green Bay, the cold is just not the same level. Minneapolis is further north than any other NFL city with the exception of Seattle (which, of course, has a different climate). It is colder than any other NFL city and only Green Bay is close.

Here are the December and January average high/low temps (source weather.com):
Minneapolis: 27/12, 24/7
Green Bay: 29/14, 24/9
Chicago: 35/23, 31/18
Buffalo: 36/24, 31/19
Boston: 41/28, 36/22
NYC: 43/32, 38/27
Philly: 45/30, 40/26
Cleveland: 38/26, 34/22

Yeah, they get some cold games in those places, and snow games that make the highlight reels and NFL Films. But that isn't the norm by any means.

An outdoor stadium would give an advantage to the Vikes for the playoffs. Conversely, it's a huge disadvantage when the team stinks, because nobody's going to buy tickets for late season games.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Laserman wrote:If the Championship game with the Saints were outdoors in Minnesota, might have been a different outcome.
Oh please. If that game was in the Metrodome it might have had a different outcome.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

IF the referees would have thrown some flags and not allowed Favre to be "assaulted" then there would have been a different outcome :steamed:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

Purple bruise wrote:IF the referees would have thrown some flags and not allowed Favre to be "assaulted" then there would have been a different outcome :steamed:
:thumbsup:
They wanted to protect qbs but sure looked like favre took alot of uneeded extra punishment. :confused:
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

glg wrote:Please stop with these comparisons to other cities. With the exception of Green Bay, the cold is just not the same level. Minneapolis is further north than any other NFL city with the exception of Seattle (which, of course, has a different climate). It is colder than any other NFL city and only Green Bay is close.

Here are the December and January average high/low temps (source weather.com):
Minneapolis: 27/12, 24/7
Green Bay: 29/14, 24/9
Chicago: 35/23, 31/18
Buffalo: 36/24, 31/19
Boston: 41/28, 36/22
NYC: 43/32, 38/27
Philly: 45/30, 40/26
Cleveland: 38/26, 34/22

Yeah, they get some cold games in those places, and snow games that make the highlight reels and NFL Films. But that isn't the norm by any means.

An outdoor stadium would give an advantage to the Vikes for the playoffs. Conversely, it's a huge disadvantage when the team stinks, because nobody's going to buy tickets for late season games.
I agree the cold in minneapolis is worse in the winter than boston, chicago, and green bay.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

Love to see an ice bowl II vikings and saints in minneapolis.
Purplekush
Waterboy

Post by Purplekush »

http://mankatofreepress.com/statenews/x ... dium/print

Read this article in my local daily yesterday and it seems to suggest the vikings would actually open the roof in the case of inclimate waeather. Awesome.
Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for today.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

http://www.startribune.com/politics/sta ... 27285.html

Just remember, if the republicans had their way, there wouldn't be a Minnesota Vikings team much longer!
bigskyeric
All Pro Elite Player

Post by bigskyeric »

I haven't posted anything yet because I can't believe it's finally happening. The next 4 years are gonna be spectacular watching the new stadium being built.....the following years in the new digs will be...will be.... :?: I honestly don't know how they'll be as we've never had a home worth mentioning. Our Minnesota Vikings for the first time in their existence will have their very own state of the art stadium that is built for Football. Not Baseball. And not only is it being built for football, it's being built with the Fans in mind. No more pig troughs to drain yourself in. No more missing half a quarter trying to buy a hotdog. It's finally $#@%ing happening!!! Somebody pinch me....this can't be real
:rock:
Seek and Destroy
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I'm really curious as to how this stadium will end up looking.

One stadium that I really love, at least from TV and pictures, is the Seattle Seahawks' stadium. The fans are really close to the field, and it seems to be quite loud. Plus, it's stunning.

So glad we can put the gnashing of teeth behind us and look forward to a long future of Vikings football -- where it belongs!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

Valhalla wrote: I agree, Seattle does seem to have a real good stadium, Qwest Field? Is that it? Their major league soccer team Seattle Sounders play there as well.

if they dont build an outdoor stadium. i hope its as good as the seahawks and cowboys.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

hibbingviking wrote:if they dont build an outdoor stadium. i hope its as good as the seahawks and cowboys.
IF they don't? What's up with all this discussion about a roofless stadium? They're NOT building an outdoor stadium. The new stadium will have a roof. It may have a retractable roof if Zygi is willing to pay for it.

:?:
Last edited by Eli on Sun May 13, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Purplekush wrote:http://mankatofreepress.com/statenews/x ... dium/print

Read this article in my local daily yesterday and it seems to suggest the vikings would actually open the roof in the case of inclimate waeather. Awesome.

Cold and freezing cold, yes. Any bad wind chill and no.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant