View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Could we beat the Saints? 

yes 77%  77%  [ 75 ]
no 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
too early to tell 16%  16%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 97

Career Elite Player

Post Re: Could we beat the Saints?
The game against the Saints IMO would come down to how well their OL can play against our DL, and of course Turnovers. If we can get to Brees and not give them opportunities then I like our chances.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:01 am
Hall of Famer

Could we beat the Saints, sure. Would I bet on the Vikings or the Saints? The Saints. They are explosive and would totally out coach us.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:06 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

We can beat the Saints but I want to play them in our house. We need them to lose a couple of games and their remaining schedule is not exactly tough. Hopefully they can lose to Atlanta once and lose to the Patriots and Cowboys. I actually think we can win the rest of our games or maybe have one more loss.

Atlanta tonite
Carolina
@ St. Louis
@ Tampa Bay
New England
@ Washington
@ Atlanta
Dallas
Tampa Bay
@ Carolina

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:18 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

If they played 20 times right now, my model says the Vikings win 12 of them. Our pass rush is blowing away the field right now ... 31 sacks, next closest have 23. We get to Brees, and that slows down their offense. Meanwhile our offense is a balanced attack with the best running back in the league, a solid OLine, and one of the league's best receiving corps, and Favre playing the best football of his career. Slight edge to the Vikings. Sean Payton is certainly no Vince Lombardi.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:22 am
Profile YIM
All Pro Elite Player

I know this, nobody thought we were going to lose when a certain team from the south rolled in on a sunday in January 99.

And keep in mind, the Vikings have owned the Saints like maybe no other team, starting with 44-10 in the 87 wc game. That Saints team was 12-3, we were 8-7 (one week was lost before replacment games started)

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:57 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

purplehaze wrote:
We can beat the Saints but I want to play them in our house. We need them to lose a couple of games and their remaining schedule is not exactly tough. Hopefully they can lose to Atlanta once and lose to the Patriots and Cowboys. I actually think we can win the rest of our games or maybe have one more loss.

Atlanta tonite
Carolina
@ St. Louis
@ Tampa Bay
New England
@ Washington
@ Atlanta
Dallas
Tampa Bay
@ Carolina

wow, other than ATL, NE, and DAL they reall don't play anybody...but you never know.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:10 am
Defensive Tackle

TrenchGoon wrote:
wow, other than ATL, NE, and DAL they reall don't play anybody...but you never know.

That's true. For example, look at what Carolina did to Arizona yesterday.

Jim

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Inductee

purplehaze wrote:

Atlanta tonite
Carolina
@ St. Louis
@ Tampa Bay
New England
@ Washington
@ Atlanta
Dallas
Tampa Bay
@ Carolina

We need to be 14-2 or better, and undefeated in the conference. Otherwise, I think all roads go through New Orleans because that schedule tells me they're not going to lose more than two.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:49 pm
Franchise Player

I think NE will upset the Saints. I wouldn't put it past Dallas either, I dunno why but it seems right.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:58 pm
Commissioner

Arjuna wrote:
I think NE will upset the Saints. I wouldn't put it past Dallas either, I dunno why but it seems right.

Dallas has been on a tear with the emergence of Miles Austin. I can see that.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:59 pm
Hall of Famer

i feel saints peaked to early and the vikings are getting better. if we can just tighten up the secondary a bit. what can the saints do? stop AD and let Favre beat them or let AD run wild ?
seems like sometimes when the vikes get a lead they let of the gas pedal and play careless and make mental errors. :govikes:

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:21 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
purplehaze wrote:

Atlanta tonite
Carolina
@ St. Louis
@ Tampa Bay
New England
@ Washington
@ Atlanta
Dallas
Tampa Bay
@ Carolina

We need to be 14-2 or better, and undefeated in the conference. Otherwise, I think all roads go through New Orleans because that schedule tells me they're not going to lose more than two.

eh you're probably right but I'm willing to bet that they lose one of the Atlanta games, they will lose to NE, and possibly lose the Washington game. I know Wash sucks, but I can see them pulling together for one big win this season. But the Saints WILL beat Dallas. I wish it was Dallas as one of the 1-6 teams right now.

But to the main point. I think we could totally beat them. I also think after the Bye we will all see why.

"He kept getting pies in the face and everyone thought it was so funny.I didn't think it was so funny.They should have eaten the pies instead of throwing them at each other If they were mad,why didn't they just knock the crap out of each other?"

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:27 pm
Hall of Famer

half way point.....bye week....perfect. :govikes:
AD, Favre, and the vikes defense can use the rest.
saints will crash & burn as usual.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:12 pm
All Pro Elite Player

to be honest, what true vikings fan would answer no to this question? we have played nearly perfect up to this point in the season, with the exception of a few defensive faults in the second half...but that is without winfield AND with Karl Paymah playing in his place on a percentage of downs. at the very least every fan should put too early to tell, but i think its a definite possibility.

Our Day Will Come

Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:19 pm
Profile YIM
Hall of Famer

we are definately the second best team in the nfc IMO. maybe the third best team in the nfl behind the saints and colts. we definately will be better by playoff time. :rock:

Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:25 pm
Site Admin

Allenfreak69 wrote:
to be honest, what true vikings fan would answer no to this question? we have played nearly perfect up to this point in the season, with the exception of a few defensive faults in the second half...but that is without winfield AND with Karl Paymah playing in his place on a percentage of downs. at the very least every fan should put too early to tell, but i think its a definite possibility.

The keyword to me is "could". Of course we could. If the question was "will", that's a completely different story. I'm betting the 7 people who said no misread it as will

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:00 pm
Hall of Famer

glg wrote:
Allenfreak69 wrote:

The keyword to me is "could". Of course we could. If the question was "will", that's a completely different story. I'm betting the 7 people who said no misread it as will

And that is the way too look at it. COULD they beat the Saints? Possibly, but any given team could beat team x on any sunday. Again, it all falls back to COULD, and not WILL.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:04 pm
Site Admin

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
And that is the way too look at it. COULD they beat the Saints? Possibly, but any given team could beat team x on any sunday. Again, it all falls back to COULD, and not WILL.

Exactly. Even the Bucs could beat the Saints. It's not terribly likely, but it's not impossible.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:25 pm
Career Elite Player

If you haven't noticed the last two weeks, the Saints can be run on by a good back. Think we have one?

Mark Twain

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:30 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Raptorman wrote:
If you haven't noticed the last two weeks, the Saints can be run on by a good back. Think we have one?

Turner is doing pretty well tonite.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:40 pm
Hall of Famer

After watching last nights game, they'd kill us. They are definately the class of the NFC, maybe the NFL. I could see them going undefeated actually. They do have 3 tough games, but with their offense and opportunistic defense, they can beat anyone.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:32 am
Hall of Famer

purple guy wrote:
After watching last nights game, they'd kill us. They are definately the class of the NFC, maybe the NFL. I could see them going undefeated actually. They do have 3 tough games, but with their offense and opportunistic defense, they can beat anyone.

I agree they look pretty 'scary' but they didn't 'kill' the Falcons. In fact, the Falcons actually had a chance to tie the score (I'll grant you: slim) after they recovered the on-side kick. Do I think the Vikes would be underdogs? Yes. Do I think it's impossible? No. I'll even go so far to say that if we played the game we are capable of playing (something we haven't succeeded at yet despite 8 tries) we would emerge the winner.

Given the Saints performance and their record, I would agree that 16-0 isn't impossible for them...

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:50 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

My model has the Saints losing to the Patriots by 1 at home, and losing to the Falcons on the road by 3. In which case they'd finish 14-2.

If the Saints and the Vikings were to meet next week:

Vikings by 4 in Minnesota (3.7, to be exact ...)
Saints by 3 in New Orleans (3.4 ....)

Homefield will be VERY important!

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:25 am
Profile YIM
Franchise Player

purple guy wrote:

Huh, after watching last night's game I came to the opposite conclusion. I think the Vikes could hang with them. #1, they looked terrible against the run. #2, a smart, experienced QB could carve up their secondary. HEL-LO, Peterson and Favre.

Oh it would be a heck of a shoot-out, but I think our D could make more plays than theirs. Gotta watch out for Sharper in center field, but I think Favre could fool him and make some big plays.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:15 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mullet will make mints meat out of Brees when we play them. He will get rattled.

Also, they were running all over Atlanta last nite. They won't do that crap against us.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:27 am
Hall of Famer

In 2001, I thought Drew Brees was the best quarterback in the draft. I was surprised that Brees slipped to the second round.

As most quarterbacks do that are thrown into the fire, he had a few bumpy seasons at first, but then he played like I had expected him to. The Chargers had drafted Rivers, so they allowed Brees to move in 2006. I had hoped that the Vikings would make a big push for him with his injury and all. Culpepper was basically gone, and the Vikings needed a young quarterback to lead the team into the future. Alas, Drew Brees went to the Saints.

Drew Brees is a complete quarterback. He hits a high percentage of passes, goes through his progressions well, and has good arm strength for deep throws. He does give up interceptions from time to time, but the Vikings don't play their DB's for interceptions, so that likely won't help the Vikings. Unless the Vikings can get quick pressure, the match up is not great for the Vikings defense. The last time these teams played, the Vikings did get that pressure.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:16 pm
Hall of Famer

Darren Sharper Passes Defenced: 10 Interceptions: 7 TDs: 3

Madieu Williams Passes Defenced: 1 Interceptions: 0 TDs: 0

Tyrell Johnson Passes Defenced: 5 Interceptions: 1 TDs: 0

Husain Abdullah Passes Defenced: 0 Interceptions: 0 TDs: 0

Jamarca Sanford Passes Defenced: 0 Interceptions: 0 TDs: 0

Eric Frampton Passes Defenced: 0 Interceptions: 0 TDs: 0

Total Safeties Passes Defenced: 6 Interceptions: 1 TDs: 0

Antoine Winfield Passes Defenced: 4 Interceptions: 1 TDs: 0

Cedric Griffin Passes Defenced: 2 Interceptions: 2 TDs: 0

Benny Sapp Passes Defenced: 3 Interceptions: 0 TDs: 0

Karl Paymah Passes Defenced: 1 Interceptions: 0 TDs: 0

Asher Allen Passes Defenced: 0 Interceptions: 0 TDs: 0

Total Cornerbacks Passes Defenced: 10 Interceptions: 3 TDs: 0

Total Vikings DBs Passes Defenced: 16 Interceptions: 4 TDs: 0 (eight games played)

Total D. Sharper Passes Defenced: 10 Interceptions: 7 TDs: 3 (seven games played)

The Saints have a better secondary that plays aggressive. The Vikings have a soft secondary with limited talent other than Winfield. I have to put some of the blame on the personnel, but it is clear that Leslie Frazier's scheme is not using the safeties to their best advantage.

Griffin and Paymah with only three passes defenced between them? That is unacceptable.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:19 pm
Hall of Famer

Minniman wrote:
Griffin and Paymah with only three passes defenced between them? That is unacceptable.

I question any stats that show Paymah has defensed a pass :wink:

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:28 pm
Veteran

Leafman wrote:
My model has the Saints losing to the Patriots by 1 at home, and losing to the Falcons on the road by 3. In which case they'd finish 14-2.

[....]

Homefield will be VERY important!

Dugan "tripping" @&$*%#@&$.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:31 pm
Commissioner

Minniman wrote:
Darren Sharper Passes Defenced: 10 Interceptions: 7 TDs: 3

Madieu Williams Passes Defenced: 1 Interceptions: 0 TDs: 0

Tyrell Johnson Passes Defenced: 5 Interceptions: 1 TDs: 0

Husain Abdullah Passes Defenced: 0 Interceptions: 0 TDs: 0

Jamarca Sanford Passes Defenced: 0 Interceptions: 0 TDs: 0

Eric Frampton Passes Defenced: 0 Interceptions: 0 TDs: 0

Total Safeties Passes Defenced: 6 Interceptions: 1 TDs: 0

Antoine Winfield Passes Defenced: 4 Interceptions: 1 TDs: 0

Cedric Griffin Passes Defenced: 2 Interceptions: 2 TDs: 0

Benny Sapp Passes Defenced: 3 Interceptions: 0 TDs: 0

Karl Paymah Passes Defenced: 1 Interceptions: 0 TDs: 0

Asher Allen Passes Defenced: 0 Interceptions: 0 TDs: 0

Total Cornerbacks Passes Defenced: 10 Interceptions: 3 TDs: 0

Total Vikings DBs Passes Defenced: 16 Interceptions: 4 TDs: 0 (eight games played)

Total D. Sharper Passes Defenced: 10 Interceptions: 7 TDs: 3 (seven games played)

The Saints have a better secondary that plays aggressive. The Vikings have a soft secondary with limited talent other than Winfield. I have to put some of the blame on the personnel, but it is clear that Leslie Frazier's scheme is not using the safeties to their best advantage.

I'm quite confident Sharper wouldn't have nearly the stats/success if he was still wearing Purple. Our "scheme" simply does not play to his strengths and really hasn't under our last two defensive coordinators. In retrospect, career-wise for him, he probably never should have come here. He had nine picks in his first year with us in '05 but only nine combined in the Tomlin/Frazier era (in '06 the Vikes pass defense was the worst in the league). His tackle numbers also dropped significantly after joining the Vikes. He already has more PDs with the Saints in 7 games (10) than he ever had in 16 games for the Vikes. Our scheme really is not very safety-friendly (as far as stats and big-plays go). Our system has given up the most 20+-yard passing plays in the league thus far (30), eighth-most 40+-yard pass plays (5). In retrospect it would have been wise to adapt our system a bit to take advantage of Sharper's unique skill set. We're seeing what he's still capable of playing with a defensive coordinator who recognizes that.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next