Wright Released

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5655
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Wright Released

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:09 am

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
S197 wrote:It would be nice if Treadwell had a Sidney Rice type of third year. Maybe not quite the same production given who is in front of him but I think they are similar receivers in that they're bigger WR's who aren't going to outrun you but perhaps can out body/jump you.

I guess what I'm saying is there is precedent to go from underperforming to carving out a big role in year three with a new QB. I don't know if that'll happen or not but it wouldn't be the first time.

As for Wright, I wish him well but I think one of Coley/Jones/Zylstra can provide a similar role. What we really need is a bonafide #3 option, not a guy that catches 11-18 passes a year. That's a fine role to have at a rookie pay scale or vet minimum, but not at $2.5M-$3M.
It would be ideal wouldn't it?

The thing is, Rice actually showed *something* during his first two years. He had nearly 8 TDs on limited playing time in 2007 and 2008. It is fair to say Rice was our most talented WR in 2007, and probably 2008 behind Bernard Berrian. Nevertheless, he rarely saw the field due to mismanagement on part of Brad Childress and Darrell Bevel. Thank God Favre was smart enough to realize what a game wrecker Rice could be.

The problem is Sidney Rice was higher second round draft pick - not a first round pick. Who knows. Maybe Treadwell can do something this year? I hope so. However, for every Sidney Rice break out season there are many more 'Troy Williamson's' who just never pan out.

For the record, I really, really wanted Myles Jack two years ago. But I would get laughed at by other posters because he wasn't a 'need.' Boy, wouldn't he be something on our defense now?
Agreed Rice got a lot of redzone targets. But at the same time, if the team doesnt have Treadwell in the redzone or arent throwing to him, I dont know how much of that is on Treadwell. You cant tell me that guy cant come down with touchdowns on a few coffin corners. But in two years, I cant remember them ever throwing him one. Or even throwing him the ball in the endzone. He excelled with bodying up guys in college and high pointing the ball. We arent playing to Treadwell's strengths IMO. He's a solid RZ target and we arent using him there at all. Not trying to make excuses for him but if you want production out of him, utilize him in those situations. I keep going back to the one handed catch but if he can do that with a CB draped all over him, he can win jump balls in the RZ
0 x
Image

User avatar
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 8610
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Wright Released

Post by Cliff » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:38 am

Rice had one good season and Brett Favre was throwing him the ball.

What I'm hoping is that cousins can do what Favre clearly did for Rice in 2009 - play to Treadwells strengths. Understand he's the kind of player you let fight for the ball. It won't always be a wide open look for him.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5655
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Wright Released

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:12 pm

Cliff wrote:Rice had one good season and Brett Favre was throwing him the ball.

What I'm hoping is that cousins can do what Favre clearly did for Rice in 2009 - play to Treadwells strengths. Understand he's the kind of player you let fight for the ball. It won't always be a wide open look for him.
Exactly. Treadwell isnt a burner. But he can make contested catches. As for Rice, yeah the TD's he had early in his career make it look like he was better than he actually was.
0 x
Image

mondry
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8455
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:53 pm

Re: Wright Released

Post by mondry » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:41 pm

Cliff wrote:Rice had one good season and Brett Favre was throwing him the ball.

What I'm hoping is that cousins can do what Favre clearly did for Rice in 2009 - play to Treadwells strengths. Understand he's the kind of player you let fight for the ball. It won't always be a wide open look for him.
The problem with that is Theilan and Diggs are such good route runners and they do get a ton of separation consistently that why would you ever try to make a contested throw to a guy like Treadwell? Then you add in how reliable Rudolph has been and it's no wonder why Treadwell is the 4th or 5th option behind even the pass catching backs.

Of course his skill set is stronger in the red zone so that's where I'd look for him to be involved more
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11475
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Wright Released

Post by S197 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:53 pm

mondry wrote:
Cliff wrote:Rice had one good season and Brett Favre was throwing him the ball.

What I'm hoping is that cousins can do what Favre clearly did for Rice in 2009 - play to Treadwells strengths. Understand he's the kind of player you let fight for the ball. It won't always be a wide open look for him.
The problem with that is Theilan and Diggs are such good route runners and they do get a ton of separation consistently that why would you ever try to make a contested throw to a guy like Treadwell? Then you add in how reliable Rudolph has been and it's no wonder why Treadwell is the 4th or 5th option behind even the pass catching backs.

Of course his skill set is stronger in the red zone so that's where I'd look for him to be involved more
Thielen and Diggs are great route runners but defenses key on them, as such they still catch a lot of contested balls. Someone posted Diggs was #1 in "tight window" catches and Thielen has a whole reel of tough catches. I think a reliable #3 would really open up those windows. Also, Treadwell is a very different type of receiver from those two and can provide an entirely different dimension to the offense. In the redzone as you mention, also as a possession receiver and he's also probably the best blocking WR on the team.

In any case, he's a 1st round pick and really needs to step up and show his worth.
0 x

User avatar
soflavike
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9540
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:38 pm
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

Re: Wright Released

Post by soflavike » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:24 pm

Norv Zimmer wrote:Maybe they are excited about Treadwell?
If that's the case, I want some of what they're drinking.
0 x
*********
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida

User avatar
Laserman
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7322
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:13 am
Location: Ft Walton Beach, Florida

Re: Wright Released

Post by Laserman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:49 pm

fiestavike wrote:
Laserman wrote:The only Other WR that caught more clutch Passes was Chris Carter.
Wow. On a team that currently has Diggs and Thielen, that's quite a statement.
Well, since Wright has been around its been one Clutch catch game after game for years. It's always at serious moments in serious games that he has come thru. Treadwell has shown nothing to me. We will miss Jarius Wright unless we find another guy soon. Treadwell will get cut after this year unless he steps up in a major way
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5655
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Wright Released

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:51 am

Laserman wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
Laserman wrote:The only Other WR that caught more clutch Passes was Chris Carter.
Wow. On a team that currently has Diggs and Thielen, that's quite a statement.
Well, since Wright has been around its been one Clutch catch game after game for years. It's always at serious moments in serious games that he has come thru. Treadwell has shown nothing to me. We will miss Jarius Wright unless we find another guy soon. Treadwell will get cut after this year unless he steps up in a major way
Again, Treadwell cant just "get cut". It results in dead money. If anything they would trade him. Just flat out cutting him and soaking dead money isnt a smart move. I have no reason to think Treadwell or even Coley CANT make clutch catches until they prove otherwise. Treadwell is known for making contested catches. It's hard to do that when your QB isnt looking at you until he goes through 3-4 other reads and when you have your top 2 WRs and TE gobbling up most of the targets. Again, given what Waynes did after 3 years and the fact that it's been said that many WRs take 2-3 years to adapt to the NFL, I have lost no faith in Treadwell until proven otherwise. He isnt dropping balls. Like I said, he fell into a tough situation with the emergence of Thielen. Otherwise he would've probably been a guaranteed starter and we'd be able to see his true potential. Plus after Treadwell, we dont have much depth. Injuries happen. I'd be much more confident with him coming in than anyone else. Especially given what he showed in the two games Diggs was out.
0 x
Image

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7094
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Re: Wright Released

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:54 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Again, Treadwell cant just "get cut". It results in dead money. If anything they would trade him. Just flat out cutting him and soaking dead money isnt a smart move. I have no reason to think Treadwell or even Coley CANT make clutch catches until they prove otherwise. Treadwell is known for making contested catches. It's hard to do that when your QB isnt looking at you until he goes through 3-4 other reads and when you have your top 2 WRs and TE gobbling up most of the targets. Again, given what Waynes did after 3 years and the fact that it's been said that many WRs take 2-3 years to adapt to the NFL, I have lost no faith in Treadwell until proven otherwise. He isnt dropping balls. Like I said, he fell into a tough situation with the emergence of Thielen. Otherwise he would've probably been a guaranteed starter and we'd be able to see his true potential. Plus after Treadwell, we dont have much depth. Injuries happen. I'd be much more confident with him coming in than anyone else. Especially given what he showed in the two games Diggs was out.
I'm far from an expert, but the knock on Treadwell that I've heard is that he doesn't get separation. That doesn't mean "speed." It means setting up defenders and coming out of his breaks with a little breathing room. If he's not getting separation, then the quarterbacks aren't going to look his way, even if he's the first option.

Again, I'm not a coach or an expert. But that's the consensus criticism of Treadwell. That he just doesn't get open. Zimmer has talked about how he works really hard -- he'll be the one running stadium bleachers after practice. But Zim also says, "He does things like that even when he shouldn't be." Sounds like Treadwell works hard, but not always on the right things.
0 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5655
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Wright Released

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:17 am

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Again, Treadwell cant just "get cut". It results in dead money. If anything they would trade him. Just flat out cutting him and soaking dead money isnt a smart move. I have no reason to think Treadwell or even Coley CANT make clutch catches until they prove otherwise. Treadwell is known for making contested catches. It's hard to do that when your QB isnt looking at you until he goes through 3-4 other reads and when you have your top 2 WRs and TE gobbling up most of the targets. Again, given what Waynes did after 3 years and the fact that it's been said that many WRs take 2-3 years to adapt to the NFL, I have lost no faith in Treadwell until proven otherwise. He isnt dropping balls. Like I said, he fell into a tough situation with the emergence of Thielen. Otherwise he would've probably been a guaranteed starter and we'd be able to see his true potential. Plus after Treadwell, we dont have much depth. Injuries happen. I'd be much more confident with him coming in than anyone else. Especially given what he showed in the two games Diggs was out.
I'm far from an expert, but the knock on Treadwell that I've heard is that he doesn't get separation. That doesn't mean "speed." It means setting up defenders and coming out of his breaks with a little breathing room. If he's not getting separation, then the quarterbacks aren't going to look his way, even if he's the first option.

Again, I'm not a coach or an expert. But that's the consensus criticism of Treadwell. That he just doesn't get open. Zimmer has talked about how he works really hard -- he'll be the one running stadium bleachers after practice. But Zim also says, "He does things like that even when he shouldn't be." Sounds like Treadwell works hard, but not always on the right things.
Oh I agree that his separation is an "issue". It was in college too. He's not a savvy route runner like Diggs or AT. Never has been. He definitely still needs work but I am far from calling him a "bust". The kid has skill no doubt in my mind
0 x
Image

User avatar
soflavike
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9540
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:38 pm
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

Re: Wright Released

Post by soflavike » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:23 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Oh I agree that his separation is an "issue". It was in college too. He's not a savvy route runner like Diggs or AT. Never has been. He definitely still needs work but I am far from calling him a "bust". The kid has skill no doubt in my mind
If this were like a game of horse... Treadwell would be on B.U.S.... one more chance to prove he can be an NFL receiver and that's it.
0 x
*********
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5655
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Wright Released

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:38 pm

soflavike wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:Oh I agree that his separation is an "issue". It was in college too. He's not a savvy route runner like Diggs or AT. Never has been. He definitely still needs work but I am far from calling him a "bust". The kid has skill no doubt in my mind
If this were like a game of horse... Treadwell would be on B.U.S.... one more chance to prove he can be an NFL receiver and that's it.
But here is my thing.....what is expected out of him in order to NOT be a bust? 1,000 yards? 8 TDs? Because I can already tell you that wont happen. As long as AT and Diggs are here that wont happen. So what are we basing this whole "bust" thing off of?? First round picks are expected to eventually hit 1000 yards in a season right? Or a good chunk of TDs? Do you think it's really fair to say, "Well if Treadwell doesnt get even 800 yards and 6 TDs this year, then he's a bust". Do you truly believe that can happen? Do you realize how good our passing offense would have to be for him to blow up ALONG with Thielen and Diggs probably eclipsing 1000 yards next year?? For example, the Steelers had the best trio in the NFL and their #3 had 600 yards and 3 TDs. Thats talking about the BEST trio in the NFL. If you look at the Falcons. Pretty good pass offense. #3 WR had 378 yards and 1 TD. So what is expected out of Treadwell is my question? Because I know there will be a lot of clueless fans out there that will look at his numbers and say "yeah he's a bust he only went for 400 yards and 2 TDs". Not saying that's you at all but there are fans out there like that. If Thielen and Diggs are healthy all year, it will be a longshot for him to put up any kind of big numbers. Period. Its NOT realistic. So what does and what doesnt classify him as a bust given the two that are in front of him. Along with a good TE and RB??
0 x
Image

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18668
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN

Re: Wright Released

Post by PurpleMustReign » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:18 pm

He's a first round pick. Thielen was in drafted and Diggs was a 5th rounder. I get that both of them worked their #### off to get where they are at , but Treadwell is a first round pick that is contributing equivalent to an I drafted free agent, or maybe a 7th rounder. To me, that is a bust. He has no TDs in two yes especially. Even David Morgan has a TD. To me, a bust us someone who doesn't produce to their drafted potential and their lack of productivity is not injury related. Treadwell has one season to avoid bejng put jn this category.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5655
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Wright Released

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:03 am

PurpleMustReign wrote:He's a first round pick. Thielen was in drafted and Diggs was a 5th rounder. I get that both of them worked their #### off to get where they are at , but Treadwell is a first round pick that is contributing equivalent to an I drafted free agent, or maybe a 7th rounder. To me, that is a bust. He has no TDs in two yes especially. Even David Morgan has a TD. To me, a bust us someone who doesn't produce to their drafted potential and their lack of productivity is not injury related. Treadwell has one season to avoid bejng put jn this category.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
So if he scored two tds he wouldn’t be considered a bust? And he would’ve easily had one this year if Case threw it to him vs Washington
0 x
Image

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18668
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN

Re: Wright Released

Post by PurpleMustReign » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:23 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:He's a first round pick. Thielen was in drafted and Diggs was a 5th rounder. I get that both of them worked their #### off to get where they are at , but Treadwell is a first round pick that is contributing equivalent to an I drafted free agent, or maybe a 7th rounder. To me, that is a bust. He has no TDs in two yes especially. Even David Morgan has a TD. To me, a bust us someone who doesn't produce to their drafted potential and their lack of productivity is not injury related. Treadwell has one season to avoid bejng put jn this category.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
So if he scored two tds he wouldn’t be considered a bust? And he would’ve easily had one this year if Case threw it to him vs Washington
Let me ask you then... What would you consider a bust?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬