Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay cut

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3603
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Location: Coon Rapids, MN

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by mansquatch » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:12 am

fiestavike wrote: I wonder what Peterson thinks his market value is at this point.

That is the key question.

AP not having his $18 option picked up is no shock to anyone. Whether he remains a vikings depends on what he thinks he is worth vs. NFL GMs. Another factor is if he thinks he can make a run at a title on a different team.

Right now, of the 4 teams who played in the Conference Championships only the Packers lack a set starter at RB. The local news up here is chatting that up, but Ben Leber made a cast that given what GB does in the deep passing game and how much Rogers takes snaps from Shotgun, AP probably isn't the best fit for them. HOU on the other hand might be a different story, but then AP goes to a team similar to the Vikings, but with a worse QB situation.

We'll know soon enough.
0 x
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3592
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by fiestavike » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:23 am

mansquatch wrote:
That is the key question.

AP not having his $18 option picked up is no shock to anyone. Whether he remains a vikings depends on what he thinks he is worth vs. NFL GMs. Another factor is if he thinks he can make a run at a title on a different team.

Right now, of the 4 teams who played in the Conference Championships only the Packers lack a set starter at RB. The local news up here is chatting that up, but Ben Leber made a cast that given what GB does in the deep passing game and how much Rogers takes snaps from Shotgun, AP probably isn't the best fit for them. HOU on the other hand might be a different story, but then AP goes to a team similar to the Vikings, but with a worse QB situation.

We'll know soon enough.
Didn't Houston just spend a good deal of money on Lamar Miller? Its not easy to come up with a match for his services that makes a ton of sense.
0 x

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3603
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Location: Coon Rapids, MN

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by mansquatch » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:24 am

That could be.

Another likely landing spot is SEA. He would be a nice replacement for Lynch whom they miss, and with their defense they could make a SB run. I think SEA or MN are his two most likely landing spots unless he just goes for the biggest payday.
0 x
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37531
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by Mothman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:25 am

fiestavike wrote:Didn't Houston just spend a good deal of money on Lamar Miller? Its not easy to come up with a match for his services that makes a ton of sense.
I think several playoff teams from last season might make logical landing spots for him if the Vikings don't re-sign him: the Broncos, Giants, Raiders and Packers. The Seahawks might be interested too and Tampa Bay just missed the playoffs but they have the cap room and could be another potential spot for Peterson.

There are teams that could use him. It will just depend on how they decide to approach the position, what they're willing to pay and what he's willing to accept (both financially and in terms of his role with a team).
0 x

User avatar
losperros
Commissioner
Posts: 10041
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:47 am
Location: Burbank, California

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by losperros » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:35 am

Mothman wrote: I think several playoff teams from last season might make logical landing spots for him if the Vikings don't re-sign him: the Broncos, Giants, Raiders and Packers. The Seahawks might be interested too and Tampa Bay just missed the playoffs but they have the cap room and could be another potential spot for Peterson.

There are teams that could use him. It will just depend on how they decide to approach the position, what they're willing to pay and what he's willing to accept (both financially and in terms of his role with a team).
I agree, Jim.

Even Jerry Jones has indicated some interest in AD and the Cowboys are already strong at RB. Admittedly, given Peterson's age and more shotgun sets by NFL offenses, he may not be used as a #1 RB at this point. However, as a complement RB not carrying the entire offensive load, I believe he could still be formidable.

If AD takes less money, I think he'll get signed fairly quickly.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5710
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:45 am

allday1991 wrote:Yay we got 40 million we will do nothing with, miss out of the best F/A on the spot we need just to settle for another B- type player like Boone. Because we rebuild through the draft! Another year of a non-existent running game yay! This Franchise better have a few surprises this year after a season like the last...
Way to stay positive :thumbsup: A lot of good insight here
0 x
Image

User avatar
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1269
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:45 am

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by chicagopurple » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:59 am

THis draft seems to have more potential good RBs then Ol men......We need both.
I have a lot more hope that we find a solid RB who can grind it out AND pass block then our odds of finding 3 good guys at OL......OL is by far the more critical need just to ensure the survival of our QB and to allow for the possibility of improvement.
0 x

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3592
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by fiestavike » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:30 pm

Mothman wrote: I think several playoff teams from last season might make logical landing spots for him if the Vikings don't re-sign him: the Broncos, Giants, Raiders and Packers. The Seahawks might be interested too and Tampa Bay just missed the playoffs but they have the cap room and could be another potential spot for Peterson.

There are teams that could use him. It will just depend on how they decide to approach the position, what they're willing to pay and what he's willing to accept (both financially and in terms of his role with a team).
Tampa Bay and Oakland seem like the best bets if he wants to be a feature back. The guy is bad out of the shotgun, and between that and (I assume) not wanting to be a backup, it just doesn't leave a deep pool of options. Like losperros said, If he'll take less money or a smaller role I could see his market increasing.
0 x

5thWave
Backup
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:31 pm
Location: Southwest Missouri

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by 5thWave » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:59 pm

I say get the best bargain in the draft: Joe Mixon. Extraordinary talent both running and receiving...made for the shotgun offense.

Granted his ONLY black mark is the incident three years ago in Norman. Temper that with the fact he's a good student from a very good family. And what would you do if a woman started popping you in the face with her fists...flame away.
0 x

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8419
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by PurpleKoolaid » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:24 pm

I heard 'rumors' that AD could fall to the 10 million dollar mark. This was just a word of mouth and probably just someones idea of not letting AD go, but would AD be worth it to us for 10 mil? I think AD is thinking of maybe knocking off a million or 2, not 8. Sad thing is, I dont know if I'd even want him for 8.
0 x

User avatar
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1269
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:45 am

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by chicagopurple » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:47 pm

He is just not worth investing in. He cannot be on the field for passing plays, Therefore he forces you to telegraphing your plays, He is really beat up. Unlikely to play a whole season.
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18711
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by PurpleMustReign » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:48 pm

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I heard 'rumors' that AD could fall to the 10 million dollar mark. This was just a word of mouth and probably just someones idea of not letting AD go, but would AD be worth it to us for 10 mil? I think AD is thinking of maybe knocking off a million or 2, not 8. Sad thing is, I dont know if I'd even want him for 8.
I still contend he will get more money here than anywhere else.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018

User avatar
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6628
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by HardcoreVikesFan » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:19 pm

Really hope we re-sign Peterson but I don't want the team to get into a bidding war either.


Also, hell no to Latvaius Murray. He isn't worth the money he wants.
0 x
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.

Demi
Commissioner
Posts: 23761
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by Demi » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:48 pm

Why would this team want an old one dimensional back at all? Should have traded him years ago when he had actual value. :wallbang:
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5710
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:58 pm

chicagopurple wrote:THis draft seems to have more potential good RBs then Ol men......We need both.
I have a lot more hope that we find a solid RB who can grind it out AND pass block then our odds of finding 3 good guys at OL......OL is by far the more critical need just to ensure the survival of our QB and to allow for the possibility of improvement.
Yeah the OL class isn't overly strong. However, a lot of that media stuff is based on the first round. There aren't a lot of first round OL. But I like the 2-4 round guys. Some good potential in those rounds. But yeah, the RB class is loaded. Another reason I want Perine. He's a grinder/workhorse that is a pretty solid pass blocker, partly in due to his stature and strength. Didnt catch a ton of balls but seems to have fairly reliable hands.

As for the OL in general, FA is fairly deep for OL. Especially at the guard position. A big sleeper that I like is OG Patrick Omemeh. He was at Tampa this year. Has had solid grades from PFF for a few years now and was never on very good lines in Tampa and Jacksonville. Could come fairly cheap too and would be a plug and play at RG.
0 x
Image