Wright Signed

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
jackal
Strong Safety
Posts: 11583
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Location: California

Re: Wright Signed

Post by jackal » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:55 pm

Jarius was great for third down
conversions.

I hope we have a lot of power sets
and draft another great OL player.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5682
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Wright Signed

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:15 am

mossbutt wrote:A sideways signing! Jarius Wright is a good reciever who caught the damn ball just fine. A solid player. Why does Spielman make all these swing for the fences/splashy signings? The odds of winning it all are very small and with less continuity and more bodies to bring up to Viking speed..........well you get the drift. Spielmans done ok in some regards but holy lord i wish he would stock the team with solid players instead of wishful possibilities.
lol you wish he would stock the team with solid players?? Pretty sure he's already done that. We went 13-3 last year. We arguably have a top 3 roster in the NFL. So I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.

Also, signing Kendall Wright is FAR from a "splashy signing". Jarius Wrights base salary last year wasnt far off what Adam Thielen's base was. The last two years I've done mocks I've had us cutting Wright. He had to big of a contract. I imagine Kendall Wright is a cheaper option but details have yet to come out. Either way, I can understand why they cut Wright
0 x
Image

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5682
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Wright Signed

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:23 am

Everyone is continuing to rant about the whole "he made big 3rd down catches" thing. These guys are NFL WRs. There should be no reason they dont make catches on 3rd down. Jarius Wright isnt the only WR that can make 3rd down catches. Does anyone think that Treadwell, Kendall Wright and Coley "can't" make 3rd down catches? Wright was targeted a lot on 3rd downs. I get that. But there is no reason one of these guys cant come in a do the same. It's not the end of the world. It's just that Treadwell wasnt thrown at much on 3rd down (or not in the game), we didnt see much of Kendall Wright to know if he did or not and Coley was buried on the depth chart. But it doesnt mean these guys "cant do" what Jarius did. If Treadwell was targeted as much as Jarius on 3rd down, I have full confidence that he would be bringing most of the balls in.
0 x
Image

akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1330
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:06 pm
Location: New Hope, MN

Re: Wright Signed

Post by akvikingsfan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:17 pm

The Vikings tweeted a picture earlier showing Diggs, Thielen, and Wright out on a field with Cousins. At a minimum, at least Wright is putting in the time to get on the same page as his QB.

(Side note: no mention of Treadwell being there).
0 x

User avatar
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3526
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Wright Signed

Post by 808vikingsfan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:01 pm

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib


Kendall Wright’s deal with the Vikings is worth $1 million, with $400K guaranteed. $800K base salary, $100K signing bonus and $100K workout bonus.
0 x
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

User avatar
MikethePurple
Veteran
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:08 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Wright Signed

Post by MikethePurple » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:24 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Everyone is continuing to rant about the whole "he made big 3rd down catches" thing. These guys are NFL WRs. There should be no reason they dont make catches on 3rd down. Jarius Wright isnt the only WR that can make 3rd down catches. Does anyone think that Treadwell, Kendall Wright and Coley "can't" make 3rd down catches? Wright was targeted a lot on 3rd downs. I get that. But there is no reason one of these guys cant come in a do the same. It's not the end of the world. It's just that Treadwell wasnt thrown at much on 3rd down (or not in the game), we didnt see much of Kendall Wright to know if he did or not and Coley was buried on the depth chart. But it doesnt mean these guys "cant do" what Jarius did. If Treadwell was targeted as much as Jarius on 3rd down, I have full confidence that he would be bringing most of the balls in.
So I thought it would be useful to post some recent assessments from the coaching staff regarding Treadwell. Zimmer has made several comments recently that don't paint Treadwell in the highest regard. He and the rest of the coaching staff see him in practice, knows the route depth receivers should be, etc. and can give a more comprehensive assessment than we fans can. If he isn't getting opportunities, some of that is on him, not just the fact that there are two good receivers ahead of him. A few telling quotes that Zimmer had in a presser at the combine when talking with PA were:

Regarding his opportunities: ““I would hate to put that on the previous coaches, Laquon’s had every opportunity there has been, quite honestly, at the end of the day. It’s up to him now. Obviously we’re going to continue to give him every opportunity.”

On proper preparation/training: “Laquon is his own worst enemy,” Zimmer continued. “We’re in the middle of two-a-days and he’ll go out there at eleven o’clock at night and run stadium steps. He thinks he’s getting better but he’s not helping himself. He’s wanting to do it and he cares about these things, but at some point in time you either got to figure it out, or maybe get a change of scenery, I guess.”

On his future: “This is his time. Bill Parcells used to have the saying, ‘first year-benefit of the doubt, second year-show me something, third year-out.’ It’s really his time."

Again, I'm not saying that he can't or won't get better but I think it's fair to be critical of his production to this point and what role he has played in his lack of success so far rather than putting it on circumstances out of his control.
0 x

User avatar
Vikefan60
Backup
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:15 pm

Re: Wright Signed

Post by Vikefan60 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:55 pm

808vikingsfan wrote:Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib


Kendall Wright’s deal with the Vikings is worth $1 million, with $400K guaranteed. $800K base salary, $100K signing bonus and $100K workout bonus.
That is dirt cheap. Barely above veteran minimum, and a savings of $2M - $3M over Jarius. Looks like Rick found a real bargain here.
0 x

User avatar
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3702
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Wright Signed

Post by Texas Vike » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:40 pm

MikethePurple wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:Everyone is continuing to rant about the whole "he made big 3rd down catches" thing. These guys are NFL WRs. There should be no reason they dont make catches on 3rd down. Jarius Wright isnt the only WR that can make 3rd down catches. Does anyone think that Treadwell, Kendall Wright and Coley "can't" make 3rd down catches? Wright was targeted a lot on 3rd downs. I get that. But there is no reason one of these guys cant come in a do the same. It's not the end of the world. It's just that Treadwell wasnt thrown at much on 3rd down (or not in the game), we didnt see much of Kendall Wright to know if he did or not and Coley was buried on the depth chart. But it doesnt mean these guys "cant do" what Jarius did. If Treadwell was targeted as much as Jarius on 3rd down, I have full confidence that he would be bringing most of the balls in.
So I thought it would be useful to post some recent assessments from the coaching staff regarding Treadwell. Zimmer has made several comments recently that don't paint Treadwell in the highest regard. He and the rest of the coaching staff see him in practice, knows the route depth receivers should be, etc. and can give a more comprehensive assessment than we fans can. If he isn't getting opportunities, some of that is on him, not just the fact that there are two good receivers ahead of him. A few telling quotes that Zimmer had in a presser at the combine when talking with PA were:

Regarding his opportunities: ““I would hate to put that on the previous coaches, Laquon’s had every opportunity there has been, quite honestly, at the end of the day. It’s up to him now. Obviously we’re going to continue to give him every opportunity.”

On proper preparation/training: “Laquon is his own worst enemy,” Zimmer continued. “We’re in the middle of two-a-days and he’ll go out there at eleven o’clock at night and run stadium steps. He thinks he’s getting better but he’s not helping himself. He’s wanting to do it and he cares about these things, but at some point in time you either got to figure it out, or maybe get a change of scenery, I guess.”

On his future: “This is his time. Bill Parcells used to have the saying, ‘first year-benefit of the doubt, second year-show me something, third year-out.’ It’s really his time."

Again, I'm not saying that he can't or won't get better but I think it's fair to be critical of his production to this point and what role he has played in his lack of success so far rather than putting it on circumstances out of his control.
Good post. Looks like Treadwell either really breaks through this year or he's gone. I didn't like the pick from the get go, but my guy from that draft (Josh Doctson) hasn't done much in the NFL either, so I can't fault Vikings' brass for missing (so far) on Treadwell. Maybe he'll click with our new OC and QB.
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11476
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Wright Signed

Post by S197 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:10 pm

808vikingsfan wrote:Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib


Kendall Wright’s deal with the Vikings is worth $1 million, with $400K guaranteed. $800K base salary, $100K signing bonus and $100K workout bonus.
That is surprisingly low. I'm really curious what sort of offers were on the table and if he signed for less to play on a better team. I'd have to think he could have gotten more than $1M elsewhere.
0 x

User avatar
jackal
Strong Safety
Posts: 11583
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Location: California

Re: Wright Signed

Post by jackal » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:27 pm

Wright was a high pick for Titans right?

For the possible upside I think that is a
real good deal.

Played with RG3 at Baylor was picked high
off his college stats. Had a not great pro day
and first nfl season and I remember right got
a DUI or slapped a girl around when playing
for Titans. Sounds a a low risk/ high reward
guy.

5-10.5
4.48 40
Good body control
Last edited by jackal on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

User avatar
Vikefan60
Backup
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:15 pm

Re: Wright Signed

Post by Vikefan60 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:29 pm

jackal wrote:Wright was a high pick for Titans right?

For the possible upside I think that is a
real good deal.
First round pick (like Treadwell, but let's not hold that against him).
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11476
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Wright Signed

Post by S197 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:30 pm

akvikingsfan wrote:The Vikings tweeted a picture earlier showing Diggs, Thielen, and Wright out on a field with Cousins. At a minimum, at least Wright is putting in the time to get on the same page as his QB.

(Side note: no mention of Treadwell being there).
It was Mack Brown, not Wright.
0 x

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8406
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Wright Signed

Post by PurpleKoolaid » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:17 am

Zimmer feels the way about Treadwell that 90% of the board seems to feel. I hate these 1st round WR busts. Maybe Cousins can save him. but Treadwell is too slow, and cant run routes good enough to get open.

They saved some cash going from one Wright to another, I guess thats why they made the deal. Can only hope Kendell is as good as Jarius was, which shouldnt be too hard, but Jarious was pretty clutch compared to the receivers not named Thelein and Diggs.
Last edited by PurpleKoolaid on Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18683
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN

Re: Wright Signed

Post by PurpleMustReign » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:00 pm

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Zimmer feels the way about Treadwell that 90% of the board seems to feel. I hate these 1st round WR busts. mAybe Cousins can say him. but Treadwell is too slow, and cant run routes good enough to be open.

They saved some cash going from one Wright to another, I guess thats why they made the deal. Can only hope Kendell is as good as Jarius was, which shouldnt be too hard, but Jarious was pretty clutch compared to the receivers not named Thelein and Diggs.
He said similar things about Patterson too, and after he left he didn't do any better.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1330
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:06 pm
Location: New Hope, MN

Re: Wright Signed

Post by akvikingsfan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:41 pm

S197 wrote:
akvikingsfan wrote:The Vikings tweeted a picture earlier showing Diggs, Thielen, and Wright out on a field with Cousins. At a minimum, at least Wright is putting in the time to get on the same page as his QB.

(Side note: no mention of Treadwell being there).
It was Mack Brown, not Wright.
Whoops. I trusted someone who had captioned it. Thanks for the correction.
0 x