Kirk Cousins is not the problem

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Kirk Cousins is not the problem

Post by Maelstrom88 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:10 pm

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... MZNBq7f4jk

Good video breakdown of the surrounding issues from last year.
1 x
Offseason Goal: Draft durable, tough, intelligent offensive lineman who are dependable technicians and avoid penalties aka drive killers.

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Kirk Cousins is not the problem

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:20 pm

Dude, that was fascinating.

Depressing, but fascinating.
2 x
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:38 pm

Cousins is a problem. Vikings are the problem. :lol:
0 x
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.

StumpHunter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by StumpHunter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:06 am

Maelstrom88 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:10 pm

Two issues with this thread.

#1 No one ever said he was THE problem, just a problem, which that video does NOT disprove.

#2 Someone else already posted this video last week

The season starts in a few weeks and Cousins will have the opportunity to prove he should be the Vikings QB for the next 7+ years. There is no need for Cousins apologist threads at this point, unless you think he is going to fail again.
0 x

Maelstrom88
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:04 am

StumpHunter wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:06 am
Maelstrom88 wrote:

#1 No one ever said he was THE problem, just a problem, which that video does NOT disprove.

The season starts in a few weeks and Cousins will have the opportunity to prove he should be the Vikings QB for the next 7+ years. There is no need for Cousins apologist threads at this point, unless you think he is going to fail again.
I don't have a personal investment in the guy and didn't know the video was already shared. I'll check with you before posting next time.
1 x
Offseason Goal: Draft durable, tough, intelligent offensive lineman who are dependable technicians and avoid penalties aka drive killers.

The negotiator
Rookie

Post by The negotiator » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:26 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Maelstrom88 wrote:

Part of your last paragraph “there is no need” could have been deleted and it would have been a good post. Those of us who don’t check in everyday and didn’t see it before appreciated it. No point in getting snarky about it. You’re normally above that.
1 x

StumpHunter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by StumpHunter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:00 pm

Maelstrom88 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:04 am
StumpHunter wrote:

I don't have a personal investment in the guy and didn't know the video was already shared. I'll check with you before posting next time.
To excuse Cousins' season last year, you need to attack the rest of the team. Which is basically all that video did.

I get tired of it.
0 x

Rhodes Closed
Veteran

Post by Rhodes Closed » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:31 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:00 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:04 am

To excuse Cousins' season last year, you need to attack the rest of the team. Which is basically all that video did.

I get tired of it.
When the offensive line makes mistakes, it affects Cousins's performance as a QB. When the defense fails to stop a team from scoring, it affects Cousins's performance. Cousins makes mistakes like any other QB, but when it's compounded by the failures of the defense and O-Line in certain situations, then it is hardly his fault for getting needlessly risky for the sake of trying to win for his team. That's what the video says. It doesn't excuse Cousins's mistakes, it explains why it happened. If you can't see that, I dunno what to tell you, man.

If you get tired of it, then maybe you should stop listening to it or ignore it. Furthermore, you don't get to dictate what gets posted here. Stop the snarkiness all the time, because it's not welcome.
0 x

StumpHunter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by StumpHunter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:48 pm

Rhodes Closed wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:31 pm

When the offensive line makes mistakes, it affects Cousins's performance as a QB. When the defense fails to stop a team from scoring, it affects Cousins's performance. Cousins makes mistakes like any other QB, but when it's compounded by the failures of the defense and O-Line in certain situations, then it is hardly his fault for getting needlessly risky for the sake of trying to win for his team. That's what the video says. It doesn't excuse Cousins's mistakes, it explains why it happened. If you can't see that, I dunno what to tell you, man.
They are excuses. The same excuses I read on every other team's boards for why their QBs fail. I read it on Jacksonville's boards when they were trying to believe Bortles was the guy. Read the same thing about Tannehill and Flacco too. Heck, I read the same thing about Ponder and Bradford. Some of those excuses, and that is what they are, excuses, are valid, even for the truly bad QBs, the excuses are valid.

Valid excuses don't make those guys good QBs though.

Just like excuses won't make Cousins a winner.

The only thing that will make him a winner, is winning, and he will have another opportunity to do that this season.
Rhodes Closed wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:31 pm
If you get tired of it, then maybe you should stop listening to it or ignore it. Furthermore, you don't get to dictate what gets posted here. Stop the snarkiness all the time, because it's not welcome.
This video is in a thread 8 spots down on the page. On top of that, we have real fake football to talk about now, there is no reason to keep living in 2018.
0 x

CharVike
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by CharVike » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:05 am

So winning comes down to QB and nothing else. Got it. We need to play some D against a decent team. When we play the team we need to beat in our division, the Bears, don't allow 20 something points. If that happens we won't win. Make a statement and tell them you won't score today it's our game. That's what I want to see because eventually that's what it will take. The Bears won't allow us to put up 20 something. They will drop the hammer. That's what our D needs to do.
0 x

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:25 am

Related article I thought was well-written and researched by Coller

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/201 ... s-offense/
The numbers back up the testimonials on Cousins’ ability to consistently throw on target.
PFF’s Quarterback Annual charted every throw the Vikings’ quarterback made in 2018 and found that he had the ninth best Accuracy Percentage, fourth fewest “uncatchable” passes, fifth best accuracy when his receiver had a step on his defender and seventh best in “tight window” accuracy. He was 6.8% better than league average on throws between 10-19 yards. To get even more specific, only 0.9% of Cousins throws were behind receivers, which bodes well for hitting them in stride across the field.
My biggest issue has been his performance on third downs and in the fourth quarter (and primetime games).
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

CharVike
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by CharVike » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:24 am

This comparison is to Brady. Brady is a better player. Brady don't like the heat coming at him either. And the thing with these stats is who were they against. Yes Brady tore the Jets up in the 4th quarter and didn't throw an int. Cousins didn't throw an interception in the 4th against the Jets either. He tore them up also. Cousins couldn't move his team against the Bears. Threw an int for a TD in the 4th. Little harder against the Bears than Jets. Brady chocked against the Giants twice in the Super Bowl. They put the heat on him. Check out his 4th quarter stats in those two games. He didn't throw an int all day until the 4th quarter. That's not good.
0 x