2019 Season General Thread (News, Notes, Interviews, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Veteran
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm
x 33

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by CharVike » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:01 am

StumpHunter wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:16 am
CharVike wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:11 am


Don't worry about the CAP. The Saints were broke now they have coin. Once we clear the deck with these guys that don't earn their massive CAP hit we will have more than enough. Griff has to go. Massive CAP hit and how can you bank on him. When will he walk again. Great player that has reached the end here.
Next season Griffen won't be worth his contract. This year he is a value at 10 million.

The Saints did bottom out for sure, and could barely manage to get 7 wins with a HOF QB for 3 seasons. I can't stomach 3 seasons in a row of mediocre football because of cap issues brought about in large part because we overpaid a QB.
You don't get QBs for nothing. I know most think Cousins blows but he broke team records year one. And that was playing behind an OL that can't block anything. So zero time to throw and he broke records. I seen the great Luck in the playoffs and his great OL and Luck looked pathetic. Now Foles gets his chance. The Jags should be a shoe in. Guess what there not. Rick has been trying to fix the QB hole for some time. Many before him have tried also with zero success. It's not easy. Yes he missed on some no doubt. But he's not sitting still. Many also wanted Teddy back. That tremendous passer who broke so many team records. I think Rick did fine getting Cousins. Is he the NFLs best? Nope. The best wasn't available and never will be. But he's much better than what was on the roster. Teams were after him big time. Just didn't happen for us this year and there were many reasons for that, Not just one. And as I stated we will have plenty of CAP once the CAP killing do nothing are weeded out. Problem is no great OL will be available. There's a shortage in the NFL. The Giants gave Sloter the farm and they aren't sure if he's the guy. NE didn't even miss the bum. That's what people want Rick to do.
0 x

StumpHunter
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 46

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by StumpHunter » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:35 pm

CharVike wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:01 am
StumpHunter wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:16 am


Next season Griffen won't be worth his contract. This year he is a value at 10 million.

The Saints did bottom out for sure, and could barely manage to get 7 wins with a HOF QB for 3 seasons. I can't stomach 3 seasons in a row of mediocre football because of cap issues brought about in large part because we overpaid a QB.
You don't get QBs for nothing. I know most think Cousins blows but he broke team records year one. And that was playing behind an OL that can't block anything. So zero time to throw and he broke records. I seen the great Luck in the playoffs and his great OL and Luck looked pathetic. Now Foles gets his chance. The Jags should be a shoe in. Guess what there not. Rick has been trying to fix the QB hole for some time. Many before him have tried also with zero success. It's not easy. Yes he missed on some no doubt. But he's not sitting still. Many also wanted Teddy back. That tremendous passer who broke so many team records. I think Rick did fine getting Cousins. Is he the NFLs best? Nope. The best wasn't available and never will be. But he's much better than what was on the roster. Teams were after him big time. Just didn't happen for us this year and there were many reasons for that, Not just one. And as I stated we will have plenty of CAP once the CAP killing do nothing are weeded out. Problem is no great OL will be available. There's a shortage in the NFL. The Giants gave Sloter the farm and they aren't sure if he's the guy. NE didn't even miss the bum. That's what people want Rick to do.
So, a couple things.

#1 Cousins was not an effective passer last season. He broke records because he threw the ball a lot, but those yards and passing TDs did not result in sustained drives or anything that resembled a good offense. Context matters with stats, and Cousins stats in context are not good.

#2 There is a common misconception that Cousins had little time to throw in 2018. The fact is, his time to throw was above average and his sack rate was 9th lowest in the NFL.

#3 The best was available in the draft in 2017. We just didn't have a 1st rounder to get him. Because of that massive mistake by the GM, the GM backed himself into making another massive mistake in overpaying for a losing QB.
0 x

User avatar
Bowhunting Viking
Starter
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:39 am
Location: Convoy, Ohio
x 58

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by Bowhunting Viking » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:08 pm

Tom Pelissero just reported Griff just signed restructured contract. Reported took this yrs salary down $2 mill.
1 x
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!

User avatar
Bowhunting Viking
Starter
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:39 am
Location: Convoy, Ohio
x 58

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by Bowhunting Viking » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:13 pm

Actually he said his 2019 salary went from 10.9 mill down to about 8 mill so not real specific on details of the restructured deal
1 x
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6542
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 161

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:41 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:35 pm
CharVike wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:01 am


You don't get QBs for nothing. I know most think Cousins blows but he broke team records year one. And that was playing behind an OL that can't block anything. So zero time to throw and he broke records. I seen the great Luck in the playoffs and his great OL and Luck looked pathetic. Now Foles gets his chance. The Jags should be a shoe in. Guess what there not. Rick has been trying to fix the QB hole for some time. Many before him have tried also with zero success. It's not easy. Yes he missed on some no doubt. But he's not sitting still. Many also wanted Teddy back. That tremendous passer who broke so many team records. I think Rick did fine getting Cousins. Is he the NFLs best? Nope. The best wasn't available and never will be. But he's much better than what was on the roster. Teams were after him big time. Just didn't happen for us this year and there were many reasons for that, Not just one. And as I stated we will have plenty of CAP once the CAP killing do nothing are weeded out. Problem is no great OL will be available. There's a shortage in the NFL. The Giants gave Sloter the farm and they aren't sure if he's the guy. NE didn't even miss the bum. That's what people want Rick to do.
So, a couple things.

#1 Cousins was not an effective passer last season. He broke records because he threw the ball a lot, but those yards and passing TDs did not result in sustained drives or anything that resembled a good offense. Context matters with stats, and Cousins stats in context are not good.

#2 There is a common misconception that Cousins had little time to throw in 2018. The fact is, his time to throw was above average and his sack rate was 9th lowest in the NFL.

#3 The best was available in the draft in 2017. We just didn't have a 1st rounder to get him. Because of that massive mistake by the GM, the GM backed himself into making another massive mistake in overpaying for a losing QB.
And we’ve talked about this before, he was the 2nd most pressured QB in the nfl. That doesn’t resemble a good OL
0 x
Image

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 845
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
x 73

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by YikesVikes » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:22 am

Anyone saying our oline was good at anything last season is laughable. Also, People need to realize that sometimes WRs don't get open, especially when we have little running game.
0 x

User avatar
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8641
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
x 28

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by PurpleKoolaid » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:15 am

Yay, Ricky re-signed an under performing LB, and a verified mental case DE. Hes such a hard worker! He got his business degree from walmart.com. :wallbang:
0 x

User avatar
Bowhunting Viking
Starter
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:39 am
Location: Convoy, Ohio
x 58

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by Bowhunting Viking » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:48 am

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:15 am
Yay, Ricky re-signed an under performing LB, and a verified mental case DE. Hes such a hard worker! He got his business degree from walmart.com. :wallbang:
Hey mister my friend has a son who is a Wal Mart greeter and cart retriever. Hes a wonderful kid with issues so I really dont appreciate that comment. You were just putting him down right there by comparing him to Slick Rick. The kid is a huge NFL fan, and he would have made better O line decisions in the past few years . So that was mean to put down the Wal Mart employees by comparing them to Spielman :lol: say your sorry my friend
0 x
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!

CharVike
Veteran
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm
x 33

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by CharVike » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:09 am

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:52 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:36 pm


No a troll is someone that intentionally tries to elicit reactions out of others. Which is you....99% of the time. You hardly comment at all on here in the offseason. You just come on ONLY when it's something you disagree with or think is "clueless". So basically, you come on here just to bitc* and whine. Like how about bringing something relevant to the board, instead of just complaining all the time? When I see you are the last poster in a thread, I dont even need to look and I already know what it is....you complaining. Maybe people would actually take your opinions more serious if you actually posted relevant things on here.

But no it doesnt "hurt my feelings". It's just you dont have a clue how tiring it is for people to see you say over and over "Ricky this and Ricky that" and "Kirk sucks, Nice throw Kirk and Kirk's a bust". Yeah lets keep judging a player over his first year with the team. Because that's gone over well for you in the past..... like stop with the childish complaining posts. Like I get being frustrated, we all have been there, but you take it to a whole new level and it's nothing that ever stops with you. In the chat, threads, whenever. You sound and act more and more like Demi by the day. Your negativity drives people nuts.
Unlike you, I actually did a little research on Cousins when I heard Ricky was interested in him. And Rick has no eye for QBs, he has PROVEN that, over and over and over. And sure enough Cousins did exactly what I thought he did in WAS, nothing. Absolutely nothing. But you, with this uneducated love of all thing Ricky, immediately deciding this would be a great signing. Like you did with Bradford. And you will be just as wrong as you were then, with Cousins. Blind faith doesnt make you a better fan. Its going to take years to clean up the mess Rick has made here, he should have been given the boot years ago.
He broke some team records in his first year. That's with a sive of an OL. Yea he did nothing. I know the Skins were so much better without him. What happened. Now they have the great Case K, probably better than Cousins, so the Skins and that great team should march to the show since they now have a legit QB.Our team has bigger problems than Cousins.
0 x

CharVike
Veteran
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm
x 33

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by CharVike » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:11 am

StpViking wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:19 pm
Definitely surprising. Must have been a monster contract, maybe more money up front?

Anyway, this will mostly likely mean the end of the Everson Griffen era in Minnesota. Maybe the coaching staff will finally develop AB into the edge rushing monster he was suppose to be coming out of UCLA.
Griffen is done here.
0 x

CharVike
Veteran
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm
x 33

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by CharVike » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:14 am

VikingLord wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:29 pm
Vikes were pretty tight under the cap before resigning Barr. Does anyone have an update on where this deal puts them?

As far as the move goes, Barr is definitely a talented player who is in the prime of his career. He has lapses at times, but his athletic ability can't be questioned. It's an astute move from a continuity and team chemistry perspective, and while I can't say I'm super excited about it, it does take some pressure off Rick to find an adequate replacement in the draft or in FA, which would be unlikely given the other needs the team has.

I agree with others that this makes it more likely we're seeing the end of the Griffen era, but we'll know for sure by Friday.
This CAP stuff is very confusing for me. The Saints were broke and yet they sign Murray. The bottom line is the CAP is anything a team wants it to be. It has zero bearing on what a team can do.
0 x

StumpHunter
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 46

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by StumpHunter » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:17 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:41 pm
StumpHunter wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:35 pm

So, a couple things.

#1 Cousins was not an effective passer last season. He broke records because he threw the ball a lot, but those yards and passing TDs did not result in sustained drives or anything that resembled a good offense. Context matters with stats, and Cousins stats in context are not good.

#2 There is a common misconception that Cousins had little time to throw in 2018. The fact is, his time to throw was above average and his sack rate was 9th lowest in the NFL.

#3 The best was available in the draft in 2017. We just didn't have a 1st rounder to get him. Because of that massive mistake by the GM, the GM backed himself into making another massive mistake in overpaying for a losing QB.
And we’ve talked about this before, he was the 2nd most pressured QB in the nfl. That doesn’t resemble a good OL
Yea, I thought we agreed that he was the 2nd most pressured QB because he held the ball too long for a pure pocket passer.

Here is why I say that. In week 17 many think the line let Cousins down. The reality? He had the 4th longest time to throw in the NFL.

Week 16: 8th W
Week 15: 24th (which is where someone of his mobility should be btw, and funny we had a good game offensively for once) W
Week 14: 5th L
Week 13:21st L
Week 12: 21st W
Week 11: 5th L
Week 9: 14th W
Week 8: 26th L
Week 7: 22nd W
Week: 6 12th W
Week: 5 25th W
Week 4: 10th L
Week 3: 27th L
Week 2: 10th T
Week 1: 20th W

Average time to throw rank in wins: 18 th

Average time to throw rank in losses/ties: 13th

Average rank time to throw was 15.8. Just above average and something I would not expect for a guy who doesn't scramble, if he were playing behind a horrible offensive line that couldn't pass protect.

The problem wasn't the line giving him enough time to throw. The problem was Cousins being unable to find open receivers quickly. Blame that on the play calling, the receivers, the QB, or a combination of the three, but that was the biggest problem in 2018 in the passing game. The run game is another story.
Last edited by StumpHunter on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

CharVike
Veteran
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm
x 33

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by CharVike » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:22 am

halfgiz wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:48 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:51 pm


I wasn’t on the board. I called Demi out on it because it was quoted by another member about him questioning AP back then. So that’s how I know. As for him not posting, who knows, it could happen to anyone or people move on with their lives. He stopped posting when the Vikings got good again. So who knows. Either way, it’s about the negativity that PK brings to the board. Very similar to how Demi acted. That’s why he was brought up.

As for our FAs, it’s still not Wednesday and guys are freaking out. It’s the same pattern every year. We hardly ever jump right in and spend like crazy. We have Isidora as our only guard right now. I highly doubt we go into next year with just him. Guys need to pump the breaks
We are heading into tomorrow over our cap. When's the last time we did that?
I'm not happy we broke the bank on resigning a Defensive player.
Walter Football gave us a C- minus on the Barr deal.
His deal could be worth as much as 77 million with incentives.
Then the Jets must be the worst run NFL team. They jumped quickly. What is Walter Football. If Barr isn't that good he wouldn't have had an offer right of the bat. We could sign him for the min salary. Obviously Barr is better than what Walter thinks or no team would even bother with him.
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7263
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 154

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:24 am

CharVike wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:11 am
StpViking wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:19 pm
Definitely surprising. Must have been a monster contract, maybe more money up front?

Anyway, this will mostly likely mean the end of the Everson Griffen era in Minnesota. Maybe the coaching staff will finally develop AB into the edge rushing monster he was suppose to be coming out of UCLA.
Griffen is done here.
What was that?
Star Tribune wrote:The Vikings will have Everson Griffen back on their roster in 2019, after the defensive end restructured his contract Thursday to help provide the team some salary cap relief.
0 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

CharVike
Veteran
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm
x 33

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by CharVike » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:32 am

StumpHunter wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:35 pm
CharVike wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:01 am


You don't get QBs for nothing. I know most think Cousins blows but he broke team records year one. And that was playing behind an OL that can't block anything. So zero time to throw and he broke records. I seen the great Luck in the playoffs and his great OL and Luck looked pathetic. Now Foles gets his chance. The Jags should be a shoe in. Guess what there not. Rick has been trying to fix the QB hole for some time. Many before him have tried also with zero success. It's not easy. Yes he missed on some no doubt. But he's not sitting still. Many also wanted Teddy back. That tremendous passer who broke so many team records. I think Rick did fine getting Cousins. Is he the NFLs best? Nope. The best wasn't available and never will be. But he's much better than what was on the roster. Teams were after him big time. Just didn't happen for us this year and there were many reasons for that, Not just one. And as I stated we will have plenty of CAP once the CAP killing do nothing are weeded out. Problem is no great OL will be available. There's a shortage in the NFL. The Giants gave Sloter the farm and they aren't sure if he's the guy. NE didn't even miss the bum. That's what people want Rick to do.
So, a couple things.

#1 Cousins was not an effective passer last season. He broke records because he threw the ball a lot, but those yards and passing TDs did not result in sustained drives or anything that resembled a good offense. Context matters with stats, and Cousins stats in context are not good.

#2 There is a common misconception that Cousins had little time to throw in 2018. The fact is, his time to throw was above average and his sack rate was 9th lowest in the NFL.

#3 The best was available in the draft in 2017. We just didn't have a 1st rounder to get him. Because of that massive mistake by the GM, the GM backed himself into making another massive mistake in overpaying for a losing QB.
So this s show of an OL is fine then. Hate to bring it up but our center couldn't block anything. We had problems across the board on offense. One thing I see is we don't have a WR that makes teams shake. Yes the two we have are good but we don't have the blow the top off the house guy. Were teams always need a guy over the top or the game is up. Our back who is good misses time every season. I know we need to play it out another x number of years first. He's injury prone period. You must be a Case K guy.
0 x