What is going on with the Vikings defense this year?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purplepain2018
Backup

What is going on with the Vikings defense this year?

Post by Purplepain2018 »

Agree or disagree that the Vikings defense has never been the same since the second half of the Vikings-Saints playoff game last year. They got exposed some in that game and going into this year there are some things that are just not clicking. Here are some examples:

1. Xavier Rhodes In 2017, Rhodes played really well. He could play press coverage, zone, and had I think five or six
interceptions. In 2018, Rhodes has been anything but great. He has given up a ton of big plays, penalties and the Rhodes have definitely been open. It is hard to pinpoint what is going on with this guy. Quarterbacks are actually targeting him instead of going to the opposite side of the field and for good reason. Rhodes has been a huge disappointment.

2. Anthony Barr At times you do not even know he is on the field. He was absolutely demolished in the Rams game. He has a ton of missed tackles and he looks like he has quit. I say let him walk at the end of the year. Of course, he will go to another team and be a pro bowl caliber player.

3. Everson Griffen Another huge disappointment. What is going on with these guys? They get paid and quit playing. Sacks are down, he gets dominated by whoever he is up against.

4. Ben Gideon Why is this guy on the field? Do you ever see him make a play? Our LB corp this year has been a huge disappoinment.

5. Mike Zimmer Has he lost his touch? Have the players quit on him? We do not see the A gap blitz anymore....we don't see any blitzed any more to be honest. I know he will get one more year, but I am ready to move on.
''
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Re: What is going on with the Vikings defense this year?

Post by allday1991 »

They just arent as good of players as we thought they were. We argueably have the most invested in the league at corner backs and still cant cover overly well. Last year when the bears told us jackson is better than smith, fuller is better than rhodes and Hicks is better than linval, they might not be 100% right but they werent far off.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

1. Injuries.
2. Being on the field too much because of fast 3 and outs by the offense.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

First 5-6 weeks they were in a funk. Since then, they have been very, very good. Injuries and Offensive issues have made them look worse than they are. They were owning Tom Brady until Waynes went down and Sherels had to sub. They completely stuffed Drew Brees when we played the Saints, that came turned on offensive turnovers.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Yesterday on NFL Network I was looking at the Start Em / Sit Em for fantasy scrolling across the bottom. Never in my wildest dreams think before the season that the Vikes D would be a #3 Sit Em. Unreal and enough said
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!