Same Ole Vikes

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

purplenoway
Rookie

Same Ole Vikes

Post by purplenoway »

As a lifelong fan, I'm sorry to see the same old Vikings, that no matter what the roster is, they always find a way to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory, I'm growing old and would just like a Super Bowl victory before I die. Is that too much to ask???
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Same Ole Vikes

Post by dead_poet »

purplenoway wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:33 pm As a lifelong fan, I'm sorry to see the same old Vikings, that no matter what the roster is, they always find a way to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory, I'm growing old and would just like a Super Bowl victory before I die. Is that too much to ask???
Yes.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

This team has the talent to win (OK, maybe not along the offensive line, but everywhere else). Whether they do win is coming down to critical mistakes, which so far they've shown an inability to avoid.

With that said, there is still reason to be optimistic this season. There is a long history of NFL teams that struggle early in the year only to put it together late and make deep playoff runs. This is especially true of talented teams like the Vikings that aren't losing because they're being outplayed, but rather losing due to those mistakes and some bad bounces. Despite that, the Vikings are still very much in the playoff hunt and can still put it together.

The season is far from over, so don't mail it in quite yet. They could still surprise us all.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

dead_poet wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:18 pm
purplenoway wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:33 pm As a lifelong fan, I'm sorry to see the same old Vikings, that no matter what the roster is, they always find a way to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory, I'm growing old and would just like a Super Bowl victory before I die. Is that too much to ask???
Yes.
See DP's avatar. Circles not overlapping yet.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
AngryVike
Waterboy

Post by AngryVike »

I hear ya. I've been crying myself to sleep since 71 with no end in sight. But your thesis statement is spot on. I can't put my finger on it but I know that the Vikes will let me down 99% of the time when...........the game is on grass, against a solid opponent, at night and on one of the coasts. They are capable of outgaining their opposition, even dominating them but ALWAYS doing just enough stupid things to lose in big, much-needed games. WHY?????? It drives me nuts. This team actually invents ways to blow games.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

AngryVike wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:10 pm
I hear ya. I've been crying myself to sleep since 71 with no end in sight. But your thesis statement is spot on. I can't put my finger on it but I know that the Vikes will let me down 99% of the time when...........the game is on grass, against a solid opponent, at night and on one of the coasts. They are capable of outgaining their opposition, even dominating them but ALWAYS doing just enough stupid things to lose in big, much-needed games. WHY?????? It drives me nuts. This team actually invents ways to blow games.
Come on.

I've been a fan since '69, and from my vantage point, last year was one of the most enjoyable seasons I've ever experienced. It didn't end up the way we wanted, but the Vikings gave me and thousands of other fans a ton of joy for 18 weeks. I've seen this team win games like the Ahmad Rashad miracle over Cleveland and the Minneapolis Miracle. I've also watched every one of the four Super Bowl losses and five NFC Championship Game losses. Despite those disappointments, there's nothing anybody could ever do to get me to cheer for any other team in the league. If I die and the Vikings still haven't won a Super Bowl, I won't have regretted a minute of it.

Here's the other thing. Let's say the Vikings do win the Super Bowl. What then? Will it be enough? Will it really be "I can die in peace now"? For most of you, I seriously doubt it. Your comments don't indicate that. The minute they don't win it the next time, you'll be complaining again.

I see so many posts on here about "sustained excellence." As far as I'm concerned, 20 division titles IS sustained excellence. Would I love them to win the big one? Of course. But I'm not going to sit here and wallow in "they ALWAYS let me down." Because for me, that's simply not true.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
MegatronFozzy
Waterboy

Post by MegatronFozzy »

1st year of a new QB and O-Coordinator, give it year 2 or 3.

Unless we had a Kurt Warner/Martz duo, no NFL team in history has won a SB in the first year of transition.
VikingBolt
Starter

Post by VikingBolt »

YES! I've been saying that since 1980, and I've been following/and or watching them since 1961.
2018 has thus far been the worst year of my life health-wise and otherwise....not sure I will see 2019.
Go Vikes!
VikingBolt
Starter

Post by VikingBolt »

dead_poet wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:18 pm
Yes.
Agree!
Go Vikes!
VikingBolt
Starter

Post by VikingBolt »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:24 am

Snip

Here's the other thing. Let's say the Vikings do win the Super Bowl. What then? Will it be enough? Will it really be "I can die in peace now"? For most of you, I seriously doubt it. Your comments don't indicate that. The minute they don't win it the next time, you'll be complaining again.

Snip
What then?...yes it will be enough. I would hope they could continue to play that good for many years to come, and there would be enough incentive to do so. It won't necessarily take talent, it will take lots of "heart" to accomplish that momentous game.
Go Vikes!
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

MegatronFozzy wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:31 pm 1st year of a new QB and O-Coordinator, give it year 2 or 3.
I doubt Flip will be here 3 years.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Purple Domination wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:26 pm
MegatronFozzy wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:31 pm 1st year of a new QB and O-Coordinator, give it year 2 or 3.
I doubt Flip will be here 3 years.
Agree. They move on after winning a SB.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
purplenoway
Rookie

Post by purplenoway »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:24 am

Come on.

I've been a fan since '69, and from my vantage point, last year was one of the most enjoyable seasons I've ever experienced. It didn't end up the way we wanted, but the Vikings gave me and thousands of other fans a ton of joy for 18 weeks. I've seen this team win games like the Ahmad Rashad miracle over Cleveland and the Minneapolis Miracle. I've also watched every one of the four Super Bowl losses and five NFC Championship Game losses. Despite those disappointments, there's nothing anybody could ever do to get me to cheer for any other team in the league. If I die and the Vikings still haven't won a Super Bowl, I won't have regretted a minute of it.

I see so many posts on here about "sustained excellence." As far as I'm concerned, 20 division titles IS sustained excellence. Would I love them to win the big one? Of course. But I'm not going to sit here and wallow in "they ALWAYS let me down." Because for me, that's simply not true.

Yes,that will be enough.
Purplectic
Waterboy

Post by Purplectic »

I find this rhetoric negatively charged. They don't owe you anything. Get younger, exercise, eat healthy and above all, try to stay positive. Don't grow old. It's already been done and I find it a tad overrated. Don't sit around. Move around.

Enjoy the team for what they've been accomplishing. Most fans of other teams are quite envious of what's been built here.

Moreover, they didn't have a chance in any of the Super Bowls. They were overwhelmed and Tark shrunk in 3 of them...didn't rise to the ocassion although they were outmanned in the trenches by steroid-rich teams from Pitssburgh and Oakland in two. Miami was way too much for them to handle.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Purplectic wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:58 pm
I find this rhetoric negatively charged. They don't owe you anything. Get younger, exercise, eat healthy and above all, try to stay positive. Don't grow old. It's already been done and I find it a tad overrated. Don't sit around. Move around.

Enjoy the team for what they've been accomplishing. Most fans of other teams are quite envious of what's been built here.

Moreover, they didn't have a chance in any of the Super Bowls. They were overwhelmed and Tark shrunk in 3 of them...didn't rise to the ocassion although they were outmanned in the trenches by steroid-rich teams from Pitssburgh and Oakland in two. Miami was way too much for them to handle.
Thank you.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. Five years ago, we were coming off two 10+ loss seasons in three years. Now we have a chance for our third division title in the past four seasons. Things could be a lot worse.

I paid a visit to the Vikings Museum a couple of weeks ago. It's a great museum. It's got a lot of great history and interactive activity. Well worth the $20 admission. But you know what was more impressive? The entire TCO Performance Center complex. It was absolutely amazing. Took my breath away. I mean, they have their own freaking surgery center, along with the best facilities in the entire NFL. They play in the most magnificent stadium in the NFL. If you people don't believe that ownership and the front office are committed to bringing a championship to Minnesota, then I would suggest you make the same visit to the Vikings Museum that I made. Maybe then you can pause to appreciate what this franchise is trying to do. And have a little patience. They know what they're doing. Hard as it may be to believe, we don't.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.