Preseason Week 2 Post Game Thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Preseason Week 2 Post Game Thoughts

Post by fiestavike »

808vikingsfan wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:05 pm Speaking of Brian O'Neill, here's an analysis tweet with gifs on Brian O'Neil

https://twitter.com/LukeBraunNFL/status ... 94944?s=19
So far, its looking like the "Terrible" picks of Hughes and O'neill might work out pretty well.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

S197 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:05 pm The title to your link seems to agree with me. As does about a dozen others I've seen. It's momentum, show me a video of you or anyone else running full speed taking someone to the ground and not having that happen. If you look at the still frame from the beginning of that article, you can clearly see Williams is to the side. Half his weight isn't on the QB. Also, extra implies more than one. I don't even see one slam, as I said, his feet don't leave the ground.

Slam and tackle are not the same thing. A tackle is part of football. A slam is where you pick someone up off their feet and drive them into the ground. If it's so black and white, the NFL should be able to release hard tackles that are within the rule showing what sort of technique they want.
Listen, Im with you in that some rules are killing the game (defenseless WR) but from the time I saw this in replay, I agreed with it. He didn't need the extra hotsauce at the end. He would have still tackled him fine w/o that. He drove him into the ground and that's why he got flagged. You can't tell me you don't see it. He even tried to pull his legs up as he was doing it. You may not like it but it is clearly there.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:34 pm So far, its looking like the "Terrible" picks of Hughes and O'neill might work out pretty well.
1. No one said the pick of Hughes was terrible. Most people really like the players. People felt that passing on an interior lineman for a CB was a poor choice (it was). One major injury later and we have a huge issue on the interior line. Having Hill and Oniel battle to start at RT isn't going to fixed that gaping hole at LG.

2. I wasn't a fan of Oneil not because I felt he was a poor prospect but because I felt that the 2nd round was too high for him and he had a lot of development to do. I always stated that I felt that Hernandez and Josh Jackson would have been a better 1 & 2 selections. Jackson just had a pick 6 and Hernandez looks like a man among boys.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

With how Hunter has progressed and the addition of Hughes, the Vikings defense might be much better this season, which is weird to say.

I'm excited about O'Neill. Sounds like he's playing himself into a starting spot.

Other than that, the offense sucked. Cousins wasn't sharp and Murray provided the AP flashbacks.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:31 pm Murray provided the AP flashbacks.

Ha, I agree with that! *edit - it's only funny because it is the preseason*
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

My buddy who happens to be a bears fan texted me about this game. We shared the same thoughts, still an oline away from being a contender, lets hope some head office tards start drafting some high picks next year so we can contend in the 2-3 year window we have.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:20 pm Forbath probably kicked himself out of a job, at least with the Vikings. The Vikings should see if they can trade him, but I'll if anyone is that desperate to give anything up for him. I like him, but Carlson has been so much better. I suppose they will wait until the end of the preseason though, just time make sure Carlson is legit.
Yep and it didn't take as long as we thought. I hear he is trying out with the Jets today.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Forbath is a solid pro. He did good for the Vikes. Lots of times, all you need is some consistency in the kicker. Know their limits...Carlson looks great. Has a leg and accuracy...Blair Walsh was phenomenal his rookie season. Let us pray. :lol:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:31 pm With how Hunter has progressed and the addition of Hughes, the Vikings defense might be much better this season, which is weird to say.

I'm excited about O'Neill. Sounds like he's playing himself into a starting spot.

Other than that, the offense sucked. Cousins wasn't sharp and Murray provided the AP flashbacks.
I'm excited about Aviante Collins as well. I think he's a significant improvement over Jeremiah Sirles, and still has lots of upside to go.

If this group can get healthy, Reiff, Collins, Elflein, Remmers, O'neill might not be a bad unit. Hill, Isadora, Compton are competent reserves. Really, I'd like to see Isadora outperform Remmers at RG so he can be getting the reps, since Remmers is likely in his last year with the club.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins