View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread 
Commissioner

Post Re: 2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread
tzinc wrote:
Compton Cousins Richardson Wright and they got their punt returner back that is an awesome Free Agency they filled every hole more or less

they are free to draft BPA

You mean BLA

(Best Lineman Available)

:whistle:

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:58 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

tzinc wrote:
Compton Cousins Richardson Wright and they got their punt returner back that is an awesome Free Agency they filled every hole more or less

Or to draft a year in advance. That is a real luxury. When you manage the cap as well as the Vikings do I think they probably have a very good idea of which players they won't be retaining next seaon. They can draft to replace them a year in advance and let those guys season for a year before they need them. That's a recipe for long term success.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:11 pm
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:
tzinc wrote:

Or to draft a year in advance. That is a real luxury. When you manage the cap as well as the Vikings do I think they probably have a very good idea of which players they won't be retaining next seaon. They can draft to replace them a year in advance and let those guys season for a year before they need them. That's a recipe for long term success.

Exactly. I've said this before as well. They could look to draft a DE like Arden Key if they think they will lose Hunter. Or draft a CB if they think they will lose Waynes. Or a LB if Barr goes (I would throw up if they let Kendricks go). Granted, I would love an OL too but we can also go the BPA approach in the first and take an OL in the 2nd or 3rd.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:26 am
Commissioner

Sort of related: Jets signed Bucky Hodges.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:38 pm
Hall of Famer

Just resigned Kendricks to a 5 year/$50 million deal!!

Very happy about this. He’s hands down our best LB IMO. Him and Diggs should be our top priorities. Interesting to see what the future holds for Barr and Hunter. I’m guessing they’ll just exercise Waynes option

Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:54 am
Fenrir

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Just resigned Kendricks to a 5 year/$50 million deal!!

Very happy about this. He’s hands down our best LB IMO. Him and Diggs should be our top priorities. Interesting to see what the future holds for Barr and Hunter. I’m guessing they’ll just exercise Waynes option

I'm pretty worried about the ability to re-sign Diggs. Jarvis Landry's deal makes it a lot tougher. They may need to franchise tag him. Of course all that is contingent on him staying healthy, which he's struggled to do.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:39 pm
Fenrir

Mike Renner of PFF lists strength of position groups in the draft as:

1. QB
2. RB
3. LB
4. CB
5. IOL
6. DT
7. TE
8. S
9. OT
10. Edge
11. WR

My takeaway is we need to target OG and DT early, maybe followed up by TE or EDGE. We should be able to get some depth at OLB and CB later in the draft. We really should be drafting a QB to compete with Sloter late round too. We have some decent depth at WR, which appears to be a good thing.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:42 pm
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:

1. QB
2. RB
3. LB
4. CB
5. IOL
6. DT
7. TE
8. S
9. OT
10. Edge
11. WR

My takeaway is we need to target OG and DT early, maybe followed up by TE or EDGE. We should be able to get some depth at OLB and CB later in the draft. We really should be drafting a QB to compete with Sloter late round too. We have some decent depth at WR, which appears to be a good thing.

I agree with OG or DT. But don't be surprised if we simply go with BPA in the area of either DE, OLB, WR or CB. Which could be a sign that either Hunter, Barr, Diggs or Waynes are gone. Although I don't see any way they let Diggs walk. If it was me and I had to let one go, I give Diggs and Hunter extensions, exercise Waynes option and let Barr walk. Reason being is 1.) Diggs is a stud 2.) Hunter's potential is still through the roof 3.) It takes CBs a LONG time to adapt to this defense. Waynes knows it and has improved a lot in a year. Also, if we exercise his option, we won't have to give him a contract until 2020. 4.) Letting Barr walk and finding a replacement should be the easiest of any task above if we let them walk. Getting a good athletic LB in the draft next year seems much easier than finding an immediate starter at CB given this defense, an immediate starter at DE that can produce or a WR anywhere near the talent of DIggs.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:54 pm
Backup

S197 wrote:

1. QB
2. RB
3. LB
4. CB
5. IOL
6. DT
7. TE
8. S
9. OT
10. Edge
11. WR

I agree with OG or DT. But don't be surprised if we simply go with BPA in the area of either DE, OLB, WR or CB. Which could be a sign that either Hunter, Barr, Diggs or Waynes are gone. Although I don't see any way they let Diggs walk. If it was me and I had to let one go, I give Diggs and Hunter extensions, exercise Waynes option and let Barr walk. Reason being is 1.) Diggs is a stud 2.) Hunter's potential is still through the roof 3.) It takes CBs a LONG time to adapt to this defense. Waynes knows it and has improved a lot in a year. Also, if we exercise his option, we won't have to give him a contract until 2020. 4.) Letting Barr walk and finding a replacement should be the easiest of any task above if we let them walk. Getting a good athletic LB in the draft next year seems much easier than finding an immediate starter at CB given this defense, an immediate starter at DE that can produce or a WR anywhere near the talent of DIggs.

Well put. While I really like Barr, it is much easier to replace his position than DE or CB. Like Charley Casserly said, Diggs is a playmaker and you have to hang onto your playmakers.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:05 pm
Fenrir

S197 wrote:

1. QB
2. RB
3. LB
4. CB
5. IOL
6. DT
7. TE
8. S
9. OT
10. Edge
11. WR

Barr is a decent candidate mainly because I think the hype around him will make him a pricey re-sign and also he lacks consistency at times. That's not to say I don't want him back, he's a great player but there will be tough decisions to be made.

That being said, I think he and Hunter have something to prove this year. After a really good 2016, Hunter had somewhat of a down year, which is odd when you go from backup to full-time starter and your production declines. Sky is the ceiling for him but it's hard to ignore that he got more snaps and did less. He's going to be surrounded by a killer line this year so he will have his opportunities.

Kendricks was the most consistent of the five. Barr had a bounce back year but he coasts at times. Waynes had a much improved year but the question is can he keep improving. Diggs is special... when he's on the field and that's going to be the qualifier until he has a season where he plays all 16 games. Hunter needs to show 2016 wasn't a fluke and he can handle a starter load.

It's tough man. If I had to set an order today, it would be Diggs, Hunter, Barr, then Waynes but they're all separated by such a small margin.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:20 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

S197 wrote:
S197 wrote:

1. QB
2. RB
3. LB
4. CB
5. IOL
6. DT
7. TE
8. S
9. OT
10. Edge
11. WR

Barr is a decent candidate mainly because I think the hype around him will make him a pricey re-sign and also he lacks consistency at times. That's not to say I don't want him back, he's a great player but there will be tough decisions to be made.

That being said, I think he and Hunter have something to prove this year. After a really good 2016, Hunter had somewhat of a down year, which is odd when you go from backup to full-time starter and your production declines. Sky is the ceiling for him but it's hard to ignore that he got more snaps and did less. He's going to be surrounded by a killer line this year so he will have his opportunities.

Kendricks was the most consistent of the five. Barr had a bounce back year but he coasts at times. Waynes had a much improved year but the question is can he keep improving. Diggs is special... when he's on the field and that's going to be the qualifier until he has a season where he plays all 16 games. Hunter needs to show 2016 wasn't a fluke and he can handle a starter load.

It's tough man. If I had to set an order today, it would be Diggs, Hunter, Barr, then Waynes but they're all separated by such a small margin.

I think it's hard to judge if Hunter had a down year just by his sack count. But yeah, it's not like he tore up the NFL last year.

Nick Olson@NicholasJOlson

If you think Danielle Hunter underperformed last year, consider that he had...

• 17 run stops—same as Everson Griffen, except on 10% fewer snaps,
• 59 pressures, compared to Griffen's 61,
• Only 2 missed tackles all year (compared to Griffen's 5).

Oh, he's also just 23.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:26 pm
Hall of Famer

808vikingsfan wrote:

Oh, he's also just 23.

Great stat!

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:27 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

808vikingsfan wrote:
S197 wrote:
[quote="S197"]Mike Renner of PFF lists strength of position groups in the draft as:

1. QB
2. RB
3. LB
4. CB
5. IOL
6. DT
7. TE
8. S
9. OT
10. Edge
11. WR

I think it's hard to judge if Hunter had a down year just by his sack count. But yeah, it's not like he tore up the NFL last year.

Oh, he's also just 23.[/quote]I think Griffen underperformed. He was nonexistent the second half if ghetto year. I know he was hurt but still.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:00 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

EG had a foot injury last year. That shouldn't be underestimated in terms of what it can do to player like a DE.

That being said, the pass rush was not nearly as potent in the 2nd half of the season and post season as it was in September and October. Those guys got wore down. They need depth to give the group fewer overall snaps and maintain freshness throughout the year. I would argue that this might be the biggest single need on the defense now that they've signed Richardson.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:16 am
Commissioner

mansquatch wrote:
EG had a foot injury last year. That shouldn't be underestimated in terms of what it can do to player like a DE.

That being said, the pass rush was not nearly as potent in the 2nd half of the season and post season as it was in September and October. Those guys got wore down. They need depth to give the group fewer overall snaps and maintain freshness throughout the year. I would argue that this might be the biggest single need on the defense now that they've signed Richardson.

Richardson is probably a one-year rental. DT remains a need post-2018.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:50 am
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:
mansquatch wrote:

Not necessarily. He's still young and if he has a big year, dont be surprised if we extend him next year. Gonna be tight but if he performs that well, maybe we go that route and look elsewhere in the draft.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:13 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

I'm not entirely sold on Richardson. We should keep in mind that he was let go by Seattle where he was hyped to be some great thing, yet their defense continues to slide. We still have a need at that slot, it just isn't an immediate gaping hole like RG.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:45 am
Commissioner

dead_poet wrote:
mansquatch wrote:

Not necessarily. He's still young and if he has a big year, dont be surprised if we extend him next year. Gonna be tight but if he performs that well, maybe we go that route and look elsewhere in the draft.

Diggs, Hunter, Barr, Wayne's and now Richardson? If they fit all those guys under the cap with large extensions I'd be shocked. I just don't see it.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:37 am
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:
I'm not entirely sold on Richardson. We should keep in mind that he was let go by Seattle where he was hyped to be some great thing, yet their defense continues to slide. We still have a need at that slot, it just isn't an immediate gaping hole like RG.

He's been excellent in New York and Seattle. He doesnt have the big time numbers but is a constant disruption in the backfield. Seattle also let go half their defense because they were buried in cap space. So just because they let him go doesnt mean that was a knock on him.

Quote:
He was a force in both the run game and in the pass-rush this year. Through 17 weeks of the 2017 season, Richardson racked up 36 total quarterback pressures and 22 run stops, which ranked ninth and 17th among defensive tackles this year, respectively.

Thats plenty enough to convince me

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:18 pm
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:

Diggs, Hunter, Barr, Wayne's and now Richardson? If they fit all those guys under the cap with large extensions I'd be shocked. I just don't see it.

No I'm not saying all of them. I'm saying that they could choose a guy like Richardson over Barr. It's all going to be dependent on who they draft this year. If they draft a 3 tech, they could let Richardson walk. If they select Lorenzo Carter from Georgia, who we've been all over from what I've seen, Barr is likely a goner.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:21 pm
Backup

mansquatch wrote:

To clarify, his contract expired and Seattle wanted to re-sign him, but not pay franchise tag dollars.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:49 pm
Fenrir

mansquatch wrote:
I would argue that this might be the biggest single need on the defense now that they've signed Richardson.

I'd have to argue the contrary. Dylan Bradley is our backup behind Linval right now. The guy is like 265 lbs. Jaleel has also struggled in run defense. It is very thin behind our starting DT's.

For DE's, we still have Robison and Bower looked decent in limited time/preseason. There's also Ifeadi and Weatherly. I think it's certainly a need area but right now DT is by far the biggest need. It's also not a very deep DT class if you believe PFF.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:50 pm
Commissioner

dead_poet wrote:

No I'm not saying all of them. I'm saying that they could choose a guy like Richardson over Barr. It's all going to be dependent on who they draft this year. If they draft a 3 tech, they could let Richardson walk. If they select Lorenzo Carter from Georgia, who we've been all over from what I've seen, Barr is likely a goner.

Gotcha. That makes sense then. Can't keep them all, unfortunately. Why the draft is so critically important.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:26 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

My biggest concern with Diggs is his health. He has yet to play a full 16 game season.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Strong Safety

Honestly I am totally guessing but I
don't see Diggs and Barr signing

Diggs is bound to get huge money
and like almost all wide outs is bound
to have a big ego.

Barr seems to a little up and down
and is a Southern California guy.
I know Kendricks and him are buds
but unless we win a championship
and look to get more I think he might
bolt.

I like Barr and Diggs both but FA
change teams a lot ..we got cousins
because we manage the cap well
and a top NFL team.

The Rams will have huge problem
in the next three seasons but LA
is a great place if you have money
and they have a lot of talent. Will
see how they manage all the egos
too.

Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:19 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Diggs is special. He needs to be a Viking for life. Just pay him.

Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:45 pm
Backup

808vikingsfan wrote:
Diggs is special. He needs to be a Viking for life. Just pay him.

+1

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:34 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

jackal wrote:
Honestly I am totally guessing but I
don't see Diggs and Barr signing

Diggs is bound to get huge money
and like almost all wide outs is bound
to have a big ego.

Barr seems to a little up and down
and is a Southern California guy.
I know Kendricks and him are buds
but unless we win a championship
and look to get more I think he might
bolt.

I like Barr and Diggs both but FA
change teams a lot ..we got cousins
because we manage the cap well
and a top NFL team.

The Rams will have huge problem
in the next three seasons but LA
is a great place if you have money
and they have a lot of talent. Will
see how they manage all the egos
too.

I think they'll keep Diggs, Barr and Hunter, but trade Waynes and restructure/cut/trade Everson and Rudolph.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:41 am
Hall of Famer

I am think they let Barr go. We should know more when the draft comes. If they pick a LB with one of their top picks, i think Barr is gone. He and Waynes would be tied, but Waynes has really done well at run stopping. Its instinctive to him I think. Barr, other then his rookie year, has not lived up to the level he can play at. He should be a beast, hes a athletic freak. But I think a good LB could do as good as he has been doing. Would suck to lose him though for a lot of reasons, one of them being every time we play the Packers they will hate on him. And Erin will try and piss him off lol.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:25 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I think they keep Barr and let Waynes go, maybe they find a way to keep them both and let Hunter go, which i would like to see happen.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next